Hornet Pilot looking for a VariEze

Echo Driver

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know very nuch when it comes to the Varieze....so I'm hoping you kind folks can give me some sound advice.

I'm thinking of purchasing, a Varieze that's currently advertised on barnstormers.

My aviation background started out in light civil with about 1000+ hours doing flight instruction / Charter / freight in lots of differenct conventional type of airplanes. For the past 14 yrs I've been flying F-14's and F-18's in the Navy and not doing a bunch of civilian flying. Unfortunately the Navy is about to move me into a a non-flying tour and I'm looking for something fun, fast, economical to fly. I thought a Varieze might be the ticket....besides it just looks so cool.

I didn't want to span up the Canard Zone boards with alot of specfic newbie questions, so any words of wisdom or advice on pre-purchase and/or flight experience you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

George Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since I have a Vari-eze that I am remodeling and have flown in the back of one quite a bit, I may be able to offer some insight....

While the VariEze is smaller than the LongEze (less space for baggage) they are generally faster, unless the LongEze has an IO-360 or something similar. The LongEze wing and extra horsepower will give you a shorter take-off run and better climb rate. Also most of the Long Eze drivers are able to fly at higher altitudes than we can.

If money was no object, I would look for a Berkut.....but I have already spent more on my panel than I originally paid for the plane.....

All that being said, I think you will have a lot of fun with the VariEze ! It is certainly as close as I will get to flying an F18 !

Happy flying !

Jim

Life is much too Important to be taken Seriously

• 3 weeks later...

Wayne,

The flight in Steve's LEZ was great...what a fantastic airplane.....it has to be one of the nicest LEZ's in country. Steve and his wife have been super helping me with getting familiar with EZ's both in the air and in general knowledge. Sorry I couldn't make it out for the Chili cookoff, I was out on the Harry S Truman bagging some traps and working on my 'ship' qualifications....Won't be able to make the Feb EAA mtg, I'll be deployed, but I should be back for the Feb Mtg...se ya there

George