cheap alternative to Click Bond / EZ Point studs

--D--

Just priced 10-32 EZ Point studs from ACS at over $3 a piece!!

Wandered over to www.mcmaster.com and found stainless "Perforated Base Binding Studs" priced at a little over $12 for a pack of 10. Multiple lengths, multiple stud sizes available. The perforated base also gives the flox somewhere to oooze through for a better bond.

McMaster has base nuts for about the same price.

D

• 12 years later...

JD's site is here: http://infinityaerospace.com/product-category/other/

Though rumour is he may be in poor health and unreachable at the moment. Hopefully that resolves soon.

You can get them from the Cozy Girrrls too: http://www.cozygirrrl.com/aircraftparts.htm

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

I have used many from the Cozzzy girls.   I told them how to improve them but they declined.

When I use one, I first grind the bonding surface with a Dremel to rough it up, then notch it so the bonding surface has a shape between round and square or other odd shape.   If that is not done, it will later rotate is you tighten the nut too much or have to loosen it.   McMaster has good ones.

9 minutes ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

I have used many from the Cozzzy girls.   I told them how to improve them but they declined.

When I use one, I first grind the bonding surface with a Dremel to rough it up, then notch it so the bonding surface has a shape between round and square or other odd shape.   If that is not done, it will later rotate is you tighten the nut too much or have to loosen it.

Those are good tips, but CG Products buys in bulk and re-sells.  They're not the manufacturer, so I don't blame them for doing that with each and every stud they sell.  Lotta work for little return.

11 minutes ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

McMaster has good ones.

Nice, I didn't know they had comparable items (although I should have -- they have everything)!  https://www.mcmaster.com/studs

McMaster Stud.png

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

9 hours ago, Canardale said:

The McMaster versions have no strength rating.  Cozy appear to be AN, which I am guessing are to aircraft standards. 

I noticed that too, but was unable to find that information on the Click Bonds website either, and I am already using them.  I do the same things as Bruce mentioned.  I wouldn’t have much concern about using the McMaster items, but your point and concern is entirely valid.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

2 hours ago, Jon Matcho said:

I noticed that too, but was unable to find that information on the Click Bonds website either, and I am already using them.  I do the same things as Bruce mentioned.  I wouldn’t have much concern about using the McMaster items, but your point and concern is entirely valid.

Most of the clickbond specs (in a catalog) are available at The Flight Shop (https://www.theflightshop.com/Download/TheFlightShopCatalogrev12.pdf). For non structural mounting (tie-wraps, etc.) I wouldn't have a problem with the McM parts. But for anything that's safety related (mounting A/P servos, control system components, etc.) I wouldn't go near them with a 10 ft. pole.

• Thanks 1