1/16" plywood

Phil Kriley

I ordered kits 4-7 from AS&S and in the materials are two sheets of 1/16" plywood. Problem is, I've looked over the 3 chapters and don't see where this material is used. I cut a couple of strips off of one piece to lengthen my fuse sides a little, so I'm hoping I don't need the full size pieces for something.

Anyone know what they are used for? :feedback:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

You are supposed to get quarter-inch plywood for the firewall and the two pieces where the rudder cable pulleys are installed. It's really a black eye that Spruce can't get their act together on the chapter kits, especially since they own the Cozy IV rights. I go Wicks first.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Kinda water over the dam at this point - I already bought a piece of 1/4" plywood and cut out my temp firewall, and I cut some small pieces off of the 1/16" plywood. It's not a biggie. I was mostly concerned that I had cut a piece that I would need later, and so I was going to replace it. Now it looks like I won't have to bother.

Maybe I'll stain the 1/16" stuff and laminate it to the IP! There's a thought! :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Make sure you buy the good 1/4" plywood from Wicks or Spruce for your permanent firewall.

Yes, the good stuff came in the chapter kit, and the firewall parts are ready to be installed - maybe this weekend. :scared: I guess the 1/16" stuff is just extra? It's nice stuff - similar in quality to what I have used on my r/c models. Going forward I'll do a better job of inventory when I get a shipment.

I've bought most of my tools and epoxy from Wick's, and the chapter kits from Spruce - trying to keep everyone in business! :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

I don't know where you'd use 1/16" plywood.

So Spruce did nothing wrong other than give you a bonus present! :)

Maybe - we'll see what I run out of when I do Chapter 6...;)

I've been pleased with the service from Spruce - my only complaint was when I was trying to make up my mind on placing the first order. I was confused by the Section I and II kits, and the chapter kits - had a hard time figuring out exactly what I needed. I talked to Spruce and was told I needed the Section kits AND the Chapter kits...:eek:

Fortunately, someone here or on one of the other sites set me straight and I placed that first order. The only problem now is the availability of the epoxy. I believe I had to go to Wick's for my last order of MGS.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

I talked to Spruce and was told I needed the Section kits AND the Chapter kits...:eek:

What a mess that would have been!

Wicks actually screwed up my first order

• Didn't include foam for heat duct and seatback brace
  • 1/4" plywood came out looking like a taco
I fixed the plywood, but still have to cry to them about the missing foam.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar incident w/ACS. I forget what chapter it was, but plans call for a length of plywood...2'x4'(sorry I do not recall the exact dimensions), But on 3(THREE) separate occasions they sent me a 2"x24" piece of ply!!...charging big $$. Yes, they did eventually make it right. I took a VERY long time. And no, they did not let me keep the 3 pieces of 2"x24" pieces of ply..they had me send it back in this Ginormous box..had to cost more to mail this big box than the value of the ply!!!

I've had a couple of tools on back order since I started the project -

1.00 of 12-00220 LEZ COUNTERBORE 3/4" W/O PILOT

1.00 of 12-00219 LEZ COUNTERBORE 5/8" W/PILOT

AS&S just sent me the 3/4" one, plus a bag with 4 rivets (I already have them) and the 5/8" offset is still on BO.

But it's OK, because I don't even know what these things are for! LOL!

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Fellas:

Do yourself a favor and not order any more counterbore tools. All you really need are bi-metal hole saws that can be had at a much cheaper price at any good hardware store.

The counterbores are used to drill out the aluminum laminates and plates for the landing gear bulkheads and in the center section spar and main wings. They generate alot, alot, alot of heat. They wear out fast.

Hole saws are just as good. Better, in my opinion.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks