Phil Kriley's Progress

On the subject of hardshelling....

I've been doing this troughout my project.

During the course of the build, I sometimes need to cut away existing glass skin (for the landing brake, nose strut, etc.) I've even had some parts that I cut up to dispose of.

Under no circumstances did I ever find any examples of delamination. The skin has always been bonded to the micro and the micro to the foam. The result (from peeling the skin off) has been that the foam fails, not the bond to the foam.

The example of separation mentioned indicates the failure of procedures (lack of sanding,) not the failure of the methodology. For myself, I would rather fill a defect with micro and glass over it (keeping the glass strands as straight as possible) than to cause a situation where the flow of the glass fibers would be disrupted and the fill placed on top of that.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some money in July and have been on a bit of a spending spree! Bought all the stuff I need for the nose section, including Jack's electric nosegear with the auto extend feature. Bought Dennis's rudder pedals and Matco brakes and wheels. Bought master cylinders and reservoirs and parking brake from JD. Life is good! Bought some more epoxy and hardener and restocked my micro and flox supply.

The right wing is skinned, including the ribs, and I cut out the aileron last week and am ready to do the aileron cutout layup.

Might even have enough money left to pour concrete in the barn so that I can move the project out there in the Spring...:cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.