Phil Kriley's Progress

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marker beacon, glideslope and Nav 1 antennae are in place on the fuse bottom. The landing brake is ready, just need to do some radiusing and prepare the NACA duct for flox corners. I expect to finish these little things and cut out the glass cloth in preparation for glassing the bottom next weekend.

Any comments (positive or negative) on my antennae before I glass them in? :feedback:

post-1526-141090155529_thumb.jpg

post-1526-141090155537_thumb.jpg

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Looks good? :)

Thanks Jon - but what I was looking for was for someone to point out any problems regarding the locations and positioning of my antennae. As near as I can figure, after reading as much as I can digest, I think I did OK.

I micro'd them in place last night and completed most of the prep work with the intention of doing the bottom glass layup Saturday.

The only decision I have not made yet is whether to peel-ply the whole thing, or just peel-ply per plans and use the plastic over everything... :confused:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

The only decision I have not made yet is whether to peel-ply the whole thing, or just peel-ply per plans and use the plastic over everything... :confused:

The plans are always a good guide to fall back to. I don't think I'll peel ply the whole thing, and I don't care for using plastic by itself because the result seems to be wavy and epoxy soaked.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Rats. I micro'd the antennae and cables, then covered them with peel-ply but FORGOT to put down plastic or freezer paper before putting the masonite and weights on...:yikes: So when I tried to remove the masonite, peel-ply, micro and antennae all came up together...:(

So instead of doing the layup for the fuselage bottom, I got to make new antennae...at least the damage was repairable! Here are some photos - the first shows the damage, second shows the new antennaes ready for micro (again) and the third is a close-up that shows the "canyons" that have to be filled. It could be worse -I could have dropped a bucking bar on an RV wing!

post-1526-141090155546_thumb.jpg

post-1526-141090155555_thumb.jpg

post-1526-141090155563_thumb.jpg

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

So when I tried to remove the masonite, peel-ply, micro and antennae all came up together...:(

Ouch.

...the third is a close-up that shows the "canyons" that have to be filled.

They don't look so bad. I would leave the toothpics in there and build up with the dryest micro you can work with. It will be fine.

It could be worse -I could have dropped a bucking bar on an RV wing!

I think that would have hurt more.

Good luck -- you'll be fine.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

It could be worse -I could have dropped a bucking bar on an RV wing!

That is a very good point. For a while I was thinking of building a BearHawk, but it seems that composite construction can be a little more forgiving.

(Really really thinking of starting an Open-EZ)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy with household chores - big tree fell and I had to cut it up, just for an example. But last night I finally completed the repairs to my antennae by sanding the micro (damn, that Fein tool comes in HANDY!) and now I'm ready, again, to glass the bottom. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

• 2 weeks later...

Glassed the bottom of the fuselage Saturday - finally! I put my hotbox up around the entire fuselage and cranked up the heat to 95. A couple hours later I went to knife trim the layup only to find that it was almost cured! So I got out the Fein and trimmed the excess cloth. Didn't get to put on any peel ply, but other than that the layup looks really good! :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very good point. For a while I was thinking of building a BearHawk, but it seems that composite construction can be a little more forgiving.

(Really really thinking of starting an Open-EZ)

Maybe we could come up with a composite Bearhawk?

Good progress this weekend - spent a lot of time but not much to show for it, unless you also were a builder! For example - made the 4 seatbelt brackets by cutting them from the angle stock, shaping, grinding, drilling, deburring... Show them to family and friends and there's just no way for them to appreciate the effort that went into them...they'd pay $2.50 for them at the hardware store...sigh...

But we got the shoulder brace pieces cut out, floxed and glassed the hardpoints, made the seatbelt hardpoints and floxed/glassed them into place, made the brackets for the shoulder belt mounts, floxed and screwed the canopy hinges...those of you who have done this know that we got a lot done! That's one of the things I like about these boards - y'all know what it's like! :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

• 4 months later...

Well, Chapter 8 is history, as is step 1 of Chapter 9. I made a mistake in the first step of Chapter 9 by using some UNI where BID was called out. One of the rolls from Wick's was mislabled, and I mounted it in my rack w/o checking it. Fortunately, the only pieces affected were the tapes that hold the heat duct to the floor and the pieces in the very last paragraph of step 1. I left the heat duct alone, but I decided to grind off most of the layup onthe afte side of the aft LG hardpoint, and then I layed up 2-BID per the plans. By doing this I should have the strength and hopefully not too much thickness and also no damage to underlying layers.

Cutting the LG to length went well - only used two saber-saw blades! WE did the first torsional layup last night and it went really well. We had cut out 8 pieces of UNI 55" long and 12" wide, following Bernie's mathematics. :cool2: I laid each piece on a sheet of plastic and wet it out, keeping the major fibers straight, then added the next layer with the strong strands going the opposite direction, and repeated until I had 4 layers. When this was wet out and squeegeed with a second layer of plastic, I put the whole part onto the LG bow, which my son had just painted with a coat of epoxy.

When I first did this, I thought "There's no way in H*** I'm going to get that to lay down..." But my son convinced me to just be patient and work it out, and sure enough, it laid down just beautifully! I tried to cut long strips of peel-ply (6" wide, 50 inches long) but could not get them to lay down, so I cut the strips into 12" pieces and draped them over the bow. I smoothed out the pieces with a 2" paint brush. Worked great! We stood up some shelves on edge around the bow, then laid a piece of styrofoam over them and set a space heater to blow under it. Inside temp was 102, so it should get a good cure.

I didn't like the idea of using soda straws as a conduit for the brake lines, so I bought some pushrods designed for 1/4 scale r/c airplanes and am using just the outer sleeve. It's called "Golden Rod". Yes, it cost me $14 but I don't have to worry about leaking seams or anything else.

That's my status report! :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

• 2 months later...

I was about ready to give up on getting the main landing gear studs to go through the bulkheads and the landing gear tabs. With them ALMOST through (pax side was all the way through, pilot side all but an inch) I decided to hang the plumb bobs again and lay the level on to check alignment again. Everything looked great, so I started to take it apart so I could tweak the holes yet again.

As soon as I started to remove the pilot side stud, it suddenly slipped the rest of the way into place! I couldn't believe it! I checked the plumb bobs and level again to make sure nothing had shifted, and it was lined up almost perfectly. So tonight I'll take it all apart and flox the MG-4's in place (I was too pooped last night).

Chapter 9 really should have been broken up into 3 separate chapters...;)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Since I'm still plugging away on Ch. 6, I'm not yet familiar with what you're going through.... but Congratulations on your big step forward!

I am looking forward to the landing gear work, but it does sound difficult!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Wayne. I'll take you up on that suggestion. What compound would you say?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I sprayed some Liquid Wrench on a rag and wiped the studs down with that - it made assembly quite a bit easier, and I'm hoping it will also keep any excess flox from sticking to the studs. I tried to be very careful when I floxed in the MG-4's and the tubes last night, but there's always a chance that a bit got on the studs. We'll see tonight, when I attempt to take it apart again... :yikes:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

For sticky stuff I used candlewax.

Works in holes too.

FWIW

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

For sticky stuff I used candlewax.

Works in holes too.

FWIW

I'll give that a try when I re-assemble the gear. I got it apart last night so that I could do the layups over the tubes - what a PITA getting those studs out - even with the use of Liquid Wrench...:(

The good news is that the strut lines up perfectly, and I only have to attach the gear a few more times. :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose