altruistic

Defiant Plans and Info

Sorry guys... they're still underway, and I'm just getting back into it. I have to schedule another session with the digitizer. Sorry I don't have more, but I'll keep you posted.

Hi, If there is still an on going effort, I am very interested in the open ez twin plans. Any way I could help out? FF

Jon, whatever happened to the OpenEZ Twin?

I posted this to the Yahoo! DEFIANT FLYERS group in September (as part of "the Canard Zone is back online" announcement):

I am also resuming the ‘Open-EZ Twin’ templates project for those looking to build new “Deviants”.  Several have contributed some $ towards this effort and I have lined up a scanning shop that can fit within the budget.  Just like the Canard Zone, I recognize this as something that I owe back to the community before I can go all-out on my own project(s).  This is a priority that will complete before year-end.  I do understand if too much time has passed and you would like whatever donation you provided back.  Just let me know, otherwise you will be sure to receive a copy when everything is completed.

Attached is a poster-sized 3-view for the time being.

Open-EZ Twin B-06 Rev 1.pdf

Any updates on the availability of the Deviant plans?  I can offer money or access to my large format scanner/plotter if needed to help push it over the goal line!

Matt

Thanks for following up on this Matt.

Any updates on the availability of the Deviant plans?

I am still looking for my anticipated November-December "down time" but it hasn't yet presented itself yet.  

I can offer money or access to my large format scanner/plotter if needed to help push it over the goal line!

Money is always appreciated and I'll be looking for ways to cover costs in the future through optional contributions, etc.  

I may take you up on your offer for printing though, to test measurements.  What type of plotter do you have access to?  I am using an OCE.

What type of plotter do you have access to?  I am using an OCE.

I'm not in front of it right now, but it's a higher end HP.  Will print up to 42" wide x however long you want.  Inkjet, so you don't get the heat distortion (shrink) you get when you use a laser.  As I said, it has a built in scanner as well.  Just let me know if you need it.

The challenge is that no matter how much I improve my project management skills, time remains the limiting factor.

I have broken down the next steps into a project plan (also including the other Open-EZ projects and the Canard Zone itself), and Ill be looking for various forms of help in the near future.

Thanks for the poke!

The upside here is that I have an improved method for establishing the verification rulers (to confirm accuracy of printed pages) that will also be applied to the Long/Open-EZ templates.

Both are in the queue and will be produced as soon as possible.

Did the Open-EZ Twin plans ever get released?  I sure hope so because the Open-EZ/Twin appears to the the only aircraft that exactly fits my needs.

Dave

I am planning to use the upcoming "inside months" (winter) to take care of the remaining work (for which much remains).  Updated Open-EZ drawings will be released as well.

In the meantime, keep your eye out for abandoned Defiant projects.  The Defiant is the most labor-intensive of all Rutan homebuilts.

Thanks for the nudge!

Did the Open-EZ Twin plans ever get released?  I sure hope so because the Open-EZ/Twin appears to the the only aircraft that exactly fits my needs.

Google image search "Coscio Twin" and you will see a couple of twins.  The Coscio twin was not successful; got modified into a single (which later crashed for unrelated reasons).  Of course Velocity is flying their nice twin but taking on a scratch-built twin engined project (unless it's a Defiant) is really biting into a big schnitzel.  Even the Defiant is a pretty big schnitzel to swallow.

Take a couple of years (or 22, like one recent builder) and knock out a Cozy or EZ project.  I bet you will decide that a single engine is just fine.  :-)

How is this project going Jon Matcho? Any thing you need?