Defiant Plans and Info

altruistic

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys... they're still underway, and I'm just getting back into it. I have to schedule another session with the digitizer. Sorry I don't have more, but I'll keep you posted.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I posted this to the Yahoo! DEFIANT FLYERS group in September (as part of "the Canard Zone is back online" announcement):

I am also resuming the ‘Open-EZ Twin’ templates project for those looking to build new “Deviants”.  Several have contributed some $ towards this effort and I have lined up a scanning shop that can fit within the budget.  Just like the Canard Zone, I recognize this as something that I owe back to the community before I can go all-out on my own project(s).  This is a priority that will complete before year-end.  I do understand if too much time has passed and you would like whatever donation you provided back.  Just let me know, otherwise you will be sure to receive a copy when everything is completed.

Attached is a poster-sized 3-view for the time being.

Open-EZ Twin B-06 Rev 1.pdf

• 1 month later...

Thanks for following up on this Matt.

On 12/6/2014 at 11:32 PM, eldermc42 said:

Any updates on the availability of the Deviant plans?

I am still looking for my anticipated November-December "down time" but it hasn't yet presented itself yet.  

I can offer money or access to my large format scanner/plotter if needed to help push it over the goal line!

Money is always appreciated and I'll be looking for ways to cover costs in the future through optional contributions, etc.  

I may take you up on your offer for printing though, to test measurements.  What type of plotter do you have access to?  I am using an OCE.

On 12/7/2014 at 12:01 PM, Jon Matcho said:

What type of plotter do you have access to?  I am using an OCE.

I'm not in front of it right now, but it's a higher end HP.  Will print up to 42" wide x however long you want.  Inkjet, so you don't get the heat distortion (shrink) you get when you use a laser.  As I said, it has a built in scanner as well.  Just let me know if you need it.

Matt Elder

North, SC

I was using a practically new HP DesignJet 350C as one of the printers, but this was a casualty of the same break-in that caused the Canard Zone to go down.  

Thanks for the offer... I'll keep you in the loop as soon as they're ready to go.

• 3 months later...

The challenge is that no matter how much I improve my project management skills, time remains the limiting factor.

I have broken down the next steps into a project plan (also including the other Open-EZ projects and the Canard Zone itself), and Ill be looking for various forms of help in the near future.

Thanks for the poke!

The upside here is that I have an improved method for establishing the verification rulers (to confirm accuracy of printed pages) that will also be applied to the Long/Open-EZ templates.

Both are in the queue and will be produced as soon as possible.

• 1 year later...

I am planning to use the upcoming "inside months" (winter) to take care of the remaining work (for which much remains).  Updated Open-EZ drawings will be released as well.

In the meantime, keep your eye out for abandoned Defiant projects.  The Defiant is the most labor-intensive of all Rutan homebuilts.

Thanks for the nudge!

On 9/23/2016 at 2:05 AM, davecove said:

Did the Open-EZ Twin plans ever get released?  I sure hope so because the Open-EZ/Twin appears to the the only aircraft that exactly fits my needs.

Google image search "Coscio Twin" and you will see a couple of twins.  The Coscio twin was not successful; got modified into a single (which later crashed for unrelated reasons).  Of course Velocity is flying their nice twin but taking on a scratch-built twin engined project (unless it's a Defiant) is really biting into a big schnitzel.  Even the Defiant is a pretty big schnitzel to swallow.

Take a couple of years (or 22, like one recent builder) and knock out a Cozy or EZ project.  I bet you will decide that a single engine is just fine. 🙂

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 1 year later...
  • Jon Matcho changed the title to Defiant Plans and Info
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...