Defiant Plans and Info

altruistic

I'm not happy with the darkness on the F-sheets (see attached for a sample), and would like to rescan.

I also have to annotate the scans with a consistent reference ruler to indicate that the reference marks (added as part of the original scan) are spaced 23" and 35" apart. Reference marks are only on sheets that have full-size drawings, but need to be consistently labeled across all sheets.

Other items that remain would be clean-up of "noise" (scuffs, shadows, etc.) and final packaging.

Feedback is appreciated. Getting close...

Open-EZ Twin B-06 Rev 1.pdf

Open-EZ Twin F-01 Rev 1.pdf

Open-EZ Twin F-02 Rev 1.pdf

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon,

They look good enough to build from. It is not a necessity for the drawing to build from to be "right-on",,,, What is important is that any written numbers (angles or dimensions) are correct. This is why you only need half sheets if the other side is a mirror image.

--

Dale Martin, 509-780-7320

LEZ

Lewiston, ID

EAA Technical Counselor

Owl Eagle Aerial Composites

=====================>

Right... maybe I'll run with these as-is and get the remainder scanned. The F-sheets I have are on frail yellow blueprint paper, which I think contributes to the poor quality. The B-sheet, which is on white paper, is quite clear as you can see.

I concur regarding having dimensions, but some sheets do need to be printed full-size as some contain parts without corresponding measurements here and there.

• 7 months later...

Efforts are still underway to revive the Defiant in the form of the 'Open-EZ Twin'.

Nothing to report other than I have acquired a drafting table to deal with the very large plan sheets involved. All mark-up is done. Some scanning remains, and then packaging into PDFs.

I will keep you posted.

searching for absolutely anything i can find about defiants, would like an original plans set but i acknowledge this may be a pipedream. Im stoked about the open ez project and quite frankly it should have happened years ago. When you by plans for an aircraft it should come on both cd and paper, with the cd a fully redundant replacement. I am hoping someone might come up with the open defiant and if someone will send me some info im prepared to do all the work. Im not flying blind i am an AME = A&P and have the backup of some highly experienced aero engineers and composite airframers. I come from Australia and we have large puddles and large expanses of nothing, I know i will be riduculed but two engines especially in a canard is compulsory. I know there are 2 guys in NSW with a defiant and am looking for their contact details.

=========================================

I may be able to assist.

Please contact me reply email to establish further interest

Thanks

Hugger177

• 3 weeks later...

searching for absolutely anything i can find about defiants, would like an original plans set but i acknowledge this may be a pipedream. Im stoked about the open ez project and quite frankly it should have happened years ago. When you by plans for an aircraft it should come on both cd and paper, with the cd a fully redundant replacement. I am hoping someone might come up with the open defiant and if someone will send me some info im prepared to do all the work. Im not flying blind i am an AME = A&P and have the backup of some highly experienced aero engineers and composite airframers. I come from Australia and we have large puddles and large expanses of nothing, I know i will be riduculed but two engines especially in a canard is compulsory. I know there are 2 guys in NSW with a defiant and am looking for their contact details.

I may be able to assist in Oz

contact me off line please

@ pc@iig.com.au

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. All is in order with the Open-EZ Twin, except for the page(s) with all the photos. Those need to be scanned at higher resolution than is typically available with large format scanners.

Care to cut that plans page up and scan the pics through one by one into a higher quality scanner? :scared:

Originally Posted by Jon Matcho

Care to cut that plans page up and scan the pics through one by one into a higher quality scanner? :scared:

I would to benefit the cause :D However I see that there are another set of plans available on Ebay. As of 14 Aug 08 it has five days left. the link is:http://cgi.ebay.com/Rutan-Defiant-Aircraft-Plans_W0QQitemZ140257683620QQihZ004QQcategoryZ26441QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you listen, the foam speaks.

One page at a time :D. The photos pages are atrocious, as you can see. It would be better if they were in sepia. The plans I have are not much better b&w. Do you think they are completely necessary? :confused: I have some tif that are a little better. However they are 20+ meg.

If you listen, the foam speaks.

===============================================

I may be able to assist.

Please email me off-line at pc@iig.com.au

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Thank you for publishing the files!

Question on the strakes ... they look small compared to the Cozy! (proportion wise that is). What is the fuel capacity of the Defiant?

Thanks for the interesting topic!

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

• 2 weeks later...

So, John how are things going? Will we have four place twin canard for christmas?

Hmmm... with the s-storm around the Open-EZ going on, we might have to keep this to a closed group. The approach here is a bit different.

That aside, I've managed to straighten out some nagging life issues that were distracting me from all things EZ. I found the stress paralyzing where I couldn't work on any hobby-related stuff. So now I have only work-related stress (too much work) and am looking forward to some holiday time to get the Open-EZ Twin and Open-EZ "next revision" out the door.

What am I using to compare size?

Nothing ... just pictures! :-)

Saw a Defiant (or two) at Osh in 1994. But back then, I was so Cozy focussed that my memory can't recall zip.

One had two V-8's IIRC ... that sound was awesome!

But if you are closing the group, I'd like to be inside, please.;)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop