Are you gals/guys aware of PocketFMS ?

Hi Group,

well, are you? From their website:

"PocketFMS is a constantly developing software Flight Management System package for Windows PC's and Pocket PC's, which will assist you with flight planning and during flight execution.

Once connected to a GPS receiver, PocketFMS's Moving Map feature will guide you safely through any flight, be it in Europe, Australia, Asia, the US, wherever. Your present position is clearly displayed on the Moving Map, as well as your track, heading, speed, altitude etc. The Moving Map also displays the location of beacons, airports, restricted areas, frequencies, elevations and, basically, anything you select to be displayed."

Now get this: IT'S FREE FOR ANYONE TO DOWNLOAD ;)

This sounds like a plug for a project created by a fellow Dutchman (and it probably is...;) ) but hey, I like it...

take care & fly safely

Hans

I've used it on my PC at home. It has a LOT of useful information in one place, but the UI is excruciating. Using it to plan a flight almost cost me the use of an arm (because I kept trying to gnaw it off to escape).

I have no experience with it on the PocketPC, but I certainly hope it's better than on a PC.

Anyhow, it's free, so no harm trying it.

Ben Hallert - http://hallert.net/cozy/ - Chapter 1 - EAA Chapter#31

Hi,

I downloaded the shareware and then loaded on a HP 3700 (Maybe 3800?)series PDA and tried to use it. It totally will not run...:confused: . Seems to lock up right after the intro page. I did dig a little deeper (checking into the various forums on the web site) and discovered other people have had trouble with the same model of HP PDA's also. Others said it worked great on other HP models (2300? series maybe, don't have the info in front of me right now) and also worked great on DELL Axium models. So, it could just be my model doesn't respond well. Bummer....I'll have to try a different model PDA.

Good luck.

David Swain

Watch thine airspeed, least the ground come up and smite thee.......

• 1 year later...

Hi Group,

since about half a year or so, PocketFMS is no longer available for free. Since the price isn't so terrible cheaper that the product I used before, and because that other product uses official aeronautical map data, I ceased using PocketFMS entirely and made a 'one-eighty' back to FlyMap. You can find out more about it at: http://www.flymap.co.uk/

bye

Hans