Weights, Lead, and Ballast

Jon Matcho

Weighted objects are useful during building, and I usually realize I need more weights after a layup is underway and end up reaching for paint cans, hammers, vices, heavy tools, etc. The plans even list 5 and 10lb weights as recommended tools!

So... knowing my parents are avid garage shoppers, I gave them orders a couple weeks ago to look for 5 and 10lb weights. No results from that mission yet, but... on my way home tonight, I drove past a sign that said "FREE" beside a bunch of plastic weights AND a couple diver's leaded belts. Bingo!

I now have some good weights for building and can put the diver's belts to use for when I need ballast when I'm finish. That is... if the lead doesn't go bad by then. :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon,

I found a cheap way to weight things down was to save up old milk and orange juce jugs with the screw on caps. After washing them out, I filled them up with water and they work well. I keep about 12 of them and the weigh about 9lbs each and store under the bench easily also. They are also easy to grab with the built in handle. I used them with the bulk heads and place a piece of plywood over the peel ply and the jugs on top.

Just a little trick I found. On with the build! :cool:

Tom

"Time flys when your building"

old milk and orange juce jugs with the screw on caps

That is a GREAT idea!!! Definitely going to use it until I stock up on old gym weights. Just have to be a little careful that you don't spring a leak...

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV