Dumb question...

I called Aircraft Spruce & Specialty to order the plans, and asked the salesperson about the list of kits available for the Cozy Mk IV. I added up the cost of them all and came up with over $23,000 just for the airframe, with no options such as electric gear etc. I added up all the Section I and Section II kits and all of the chapter kits. The salesman at AS&S did the same, and he came up with almost $26,000.

The estimate for building the airframe is $14,000 according to the info literature.

What's the truth? Do I need all the kits in Section I and Section II, or just the chapter kits? :confused:

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

What's the truth?

The truth is that the $14K estimate was made in 1991, when Nat drew up the plans. That's 15 years ago.

Do I need all the kits in Section I and Section II, or just the chapter kits?

Once you get the plans, all will be clear. You need everything for I and II. The chapter kits are just another way of getting stuff.

The truth is that the $14K estimate was made in 1991, when Nat drew up the plans. That's 15 years ago.

Once you get the plans, all will be clear. You need everything for I and II. The chapter kits are just another way of getting stuff.

Thanks Marc - so I will either be ordering all of the stuff listed as "Section 1 and Section 2" OR all of the chapter kits - is that right? I assume that either way works, or do you have a recommendation? Seems to me that buying several chapters at a time is the way to go...?

Phil

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

There's also been a fairly good discussion of this on the other forum as well ( canardaviation forum).

I have limited resources like dollars, space, etc, so ordering by the chapter as I need stuff makes sense for what my limitations are. If I had the room and the dollars, I'd buy it all at once. Of course that's some what misleading since I think I'd spread out the limited shelf life items like the epoxy to as I needed it.

Either way you can't go wrong. I just ordered Chapter 4 & 5 this past Monday from Wicks. Of course I also ordered epoxy, hardner, gloves, stirring sticks, mixing cups, etc. Then there was the Fein sander, etc. I already ordered and received the Dritz scissors when I found they were going out of production several months ago. I had an epoxy pump from a Christmas present years ago and now hope to be able to use it SOON!

If you order the hole enchilda just make sure you have a safe, dry and clean place to store the foam, glass, etc until you need them.

Have fun!!!!!

Bob

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

Thanks Marc - so I will either be ordering all of the stuff listed as "Section 1 and Section 2" OR all of the chapter kits - is that right?

Basically, yes.

I assume that either way works, or do you have a recommendation?

I recommend that you join the COZY mailing list if you're going to be building a COZY, then read through the FAQ and the archives.

What to buy when will depend upon how much money you have at any given time and how much overhead you want to pay for shipping from ACS or Wicks. There's no right answer.

Seems to me that buying several chapters at a time is the way to go...?l

If you have the $$$, yes.

Thanks again, Marc - I'm a bit overwhelmed by the shear volume of info that is out there about this plane! I've joined two web boards today and I'll join the mailing list as well. Sure is a busy bunch of builders! In contrast there is a real dearth of info regarding the other plane I was considering... :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

There's also been a fairly good discussion of this on the other forum as well

As well as on this forum in at least one place: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813

Sure is a busy bunch of builders!

Or not-so-busy builders chatting online. ;)

In contrast there is a real dearth of info regarding the other plane I was considering... :)

Do tell... which plane did the Cozy win over?

Keep in mind that the minority of builders have the means (for all the reasons mentioned) to buy parts and supplies for the entire project outright. Most seem to buy in chunks at a time. Also, once you get into it, you'll figure out how many yards of glass, gallons of epoxy, and square/cubic feet of foam YOU need. Still, the thinking is that you can save a lot of money on shipping by consolidating as many of your orders as you can.

Welcome to the Canard Zone... feel free to join the discussion!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Do tell... which plane did the Cozy win over?

Welcome to the Canard Zone... feel free to join the discussion!

Thanks for the welcome, Jon! The other plane on my short list is the Zenith (Zodiac) CH-640 - an all-metal 180 hp 4-seater designed by Chris Heintz.

I expect to place my order for the plans for the Cozy today! :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose