Hi from Adelaide, Australia

Hi all, I have been lurking around these forums for sometime and been considering building a canard for about as long as I could walk.

It's now official, my Cozy IV plans were shipped from AS on 6/6/6. I hope thats not an omen.

I have been flying, on a recreational license, for about 8 years. I have also almost finished my PPL, only needing to do the final flight test. That should happen in a week or so. I have all the theory passed. All my flight experience to date is in Jabiru aircraft and Cessna 172s, mostly a 172R.

As for building, the only experience I have is building a wooden Corby Starlet. I am quite good with AutoCAD and have been helping John Corby with his new CM2 aircraft drawings. I have created all the files that the parts will be CNC cut from.

I have one daughter, Sophie, who is 5. My wife, Olivia, has another one in the hanger being processed. First flight due 21st Nov. I am 30 and for work I program automation systems, including SCADA/HMI/PLC/VSD etc, for Coopers Brewery. Most of you Aussies will know who they are.

I have met some really good people in this whole homebuilding gig, hopefully that will continue.

As for my ship, it will basically be a stock Cozy IV except with the Cozy Girrl strakes and canopy idea. More than likely an I0-360 or the Jabiru 5100. I'd prefer the former but may go for the Jabiru as a weight saving. Plenty of time for that decision.

Adrian Smart

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Glad to have you here!

It's now official, my Cozy IV plans were shipped from AS on 6/6/6. I hope thats not an omen.

You could name your plane "The Devil's Details". :)

As for building, the only experience I have is building a wooden Corby Starlet.

Is that it?! ;) How long did that take? Was it yours? What happened to it?

I am quite good with AutoCAD and have been helping John Corby with his new CM2 aircraft drawings. I have created all the files that the parts will be CNC cut from.

That's great... I'm sure there's something you could do with your experience to help us builders out, but don't worry about that just yet. You're starting at a great time in your life -- wish I caught the wave your age -- and should have a great time at it.

Welcome aboard, and keep us posted on your developments.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Is that it?! ;) How long did that take? Was it yours? What happened to it?

My dad and I bought it partially completed (I'd say about 50% airframe only). We spent about 5 years on it including finishing the fuse, controls, instruments, put in a Jabiru engine with Jabiru manufactured cowl. The wing only got the stage of mounting the ribs on the spar, putting the LE and TE on and cutting the ailerons out. LE sheeting was started but not finished.

The trouble we had was getting quality wood in Australia, one of the reasons I chose the Cozy. I really wanted to build an Osprey GP4 but after the Corby I decided wood as not for me.

It was sold about 2 weeks ago because dad was in need of cash, fast. This is the reason I finally got of my proverbial and bought the Cozy plans.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Hello & welcome. There are others with plans in Adelaide, and I think a cozy III is based there! I think I'm in the same situation as you, just a bit further from completing my PPL.

I program automation systems, including SCADA/HMI/PLC/VSD etc, for Coopers Brewery.

you have destroyed some illusions here, I imagined my Coopers was brewed in great wooden vats by spherical men with aprons, mustaches & bright, red noses!:bad:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Adrian,

Pretty sure I saw some funny looking people as I drove past Coopers the other day.

I was in San-Deigo last year and the bar staff at the hotel I was staying at specifically imported some slabs of Coopers for the guys I was working with. They would not sell it to the locals only to us.

Jamie

Cozy-IV Plans #1449

"An upsidedown Australian that wants to build an aircraft that flys backwards"

• 2 months later...

I have done some serious research, along with other Aus builders, into materials here in Aus.

In the end the result is get kits from Wicks or Aicraft Spruce, except you can get Wset System or MGS epoxy here in Australia.

The majow hard to gets are the Last-a-Foam and the Divynicell. Heaps of businesses advertise that can get Divynicell here, but none are the sizes and densities we require. Also you have to buy in bulk at a more expensive rate that shipping from the US.

I will be getting all my foam, glass and odds and ends from the US. Bolts and metals can be purchased here quite easily but if you are already getting a shipment it is still cheaper to get it from the US.

Sux, but thats the way it is.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

but dahn't you blokes have probleems fynding enough haad surface runwhys

Kenoath mite. I have a friend with a C175. Can land anywhere, but it takes an awful long time to actually fly anywhere.

Most grass runways are concrete hard and rough here, & bundies galore inland. Operating off concrete suits my mission requirements though.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

• 2 years later...

Materials in Australia

Hi All,

Got a question regarding CAPSTRIP.

Q1. What is it ? What is it for ?

Q2. Whats the alternative here in Aus ?

Rgds

s

PS - Saw the discussion on last-a-foam. I am using Divinycell H80 instead.

You can get all the foams from Nupol here.

Steve Mew

Brisbane,AUS

Cozy IV #1559

steve.mew@gmail.com

Sorry for a slight deviation off topic - for all in Oz (and there are a few in this thread) I am currently organising an EZ fly in for the Australia Day long weekend in Jan 09. There is a separate thread on this, but if you are interested in attending please get back to me, and feel free to spread the word :)

Thank you for your patience, and I will now return you to your regular program....