CG Products - Engine Mount

Not sure the green tubes you're suggesting would clear accessories on the accessory case.

The Bingelis scan says "both types of engine mounts look the same when viewed from the side" so the lower part of the Continental, the Lyc & Aubrey's Anchor design would look same from the side. In fact the Continental has one of Aubrey's 'green' tubes. Looks to me the Lyc has been beefed up to replace the single Continental tube and clear the above.

The plans warn about adding even extra little bits of BID when taping a corner because of the penalty on performance (and therefore safety when actually trying to fly the thing) the extra weight will add up to. I'm sure the CG effort would be stronger with all the extra pipes that will fit and even with fillets in all the corners, but see no wisdom in adding great clumps of metal behind the c of g that there seems to be no actual practical need for.

One question I would have, the Bingelis version has what looks like a fillet below the bottom tubes which doesn't seem to be present on the CG. A fillet would help with the bending stresses that seem likely here, why wasn't it included? Similarly, the straps bracing the top tubes don't appear on the Bingelis version and would not be as effective as a fillet between the tubes. Tacked on the sides and square edged my completely unqualified eye feels they would add to bending stresses on the tube on the side away from the mounting point rather than help. Somebody qualified please tell me I'm wrong.:confused:

The snipe about composite structures being not possibly safe to bolt an engine to is typical of metal-fetishists! Am just reading about the marvellous WWII composite aircraft the Mosquito (balsa core plywood in this case). When looking for an aircraft to mount a 57mm anti-tank gun on to for anti-shipping strikes the RAF first tried the Boston (A-20 to most readers). Test firing tore it apart. The same weapon on the nose of the Mosquito saw active service with no problems, until under-wing rockets made the concept redundant. I think people only build airframes out of metal due to conservatism & lack of imagination!:bad:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

• 3 weeks later...

More fun with engine mounts, here are pics of the latest; it is a dynafocal type one and before you John Madden fans get out your markers, it's made verbatum to the Cozy Mk-IV plans.

With respect to the uninitiated, all of the markups to the conical mount would not work and add unecessary weight. They won't work because its not a perfect world, there are engine components and accessories in the way. If someone wishes to purchase us a mandrel bender we'd consider adding a ring around the conical mount should you order one that way, as of yet we have not seen a single conical mount done in that fashion except one on a home built mount.

Regards, Chrissi

post-11-141090153917_thumb.gif

post-11-141090153922_thumb.gif

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

• 2 years later...

*****Arrived back home from assignment in washington D.C. and, on the doorstep, was my freshly fabricated engine mount for a Mazda 13B!!:D Inside the generously constructed shipping crate was the base for my winter

project......powerplant. Thanks go out to cozy girls for knocking this little item out in quick time.........it will offer an excellent diversion from laying floor tile!:cool: