Tony's EZ: Long nose

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc Z. are you still out there?

I think so. Where were you at OSH - I missed your heckling at the COZY Forum.....

If you can stand to help me figure something out I would appreciate it.

I can stand it, I think.

It involves that torsional issue we talked about. What I want to do is lay the nose up per plans 2ply bid then I want to lay say 12"in wide Uni Carbon strip from the right side of the fuselage up over the top of the nose around the tip back over the top finishing up on the other side of the fuselage like a basket weave.

Assuming I understand what you're talking about, it sounds like you want to have the fibers of the carbon at an angle to the longitudinal direction of the fuselage, sort of like if you had used BID at 45 degrees. If that's the case, then yes, this will add to the torsional stiffness of the nose section.

Now the Ng30 will be joined to the nose on all 4 sides from the inside. Can that work? I think it will make the whole inside of the nose one giant bulkhead.

If you do those 45 degree wrap layups on the inside of the nose so that they attach to the F-22 and NG-30's, it will definitely increase the torsional stiffness of the nose area.

Will it "work"? Hard to say, but the area will be stiffer and stronger, that's for sure. You may want to do the equivalent layup on the exterior of the nose, lapping onto the main fuselage skin as well.

Excellent!

I will do the wrap on the outside as well. Nice job deciphering what I was asking you. I'm glad your standing. :D

yea I did miss you guys at Oshkosh this year the T.V. show has kept me way to busy to even think about Osh this year. We have two more shows we have been approached to do. I'll try to meet up with you next year. My partner and I have been talking about doing a "Homebuilt Home Show" for the DIY network. That'll be fun We'll have to get you on camera Marc.

Tony

• 1 year later...

I downloaded the long nose cad drawings at ez.org which I believe is the same one that is talked about here. Does this long nose add 3" or 6" to the length of the airplane? I haven't done the weight and balance however I heard that this will balance a o-360 or a similar weighted engine without ballast. Is this correct? I am planning on using a subaru ej22t however I haven't found a good weight on this engine yet. I assume it is o-360 or slightly more due to liquid cooled & PSRU.

Does this long nose add 3" or 6" to the length of the airplane? I haven't done the weight and balance however I heard that this will balance a o-360 or a similar weighted engine without ballast. Is this correct?

I think it's more along the lines of 12"in. But the length of the nose is not what is going to offset your o-360 in the W&B, it's the 6" added to the fuselage between the frontseat bulkhead and the rear seat bulkhead, that's the biggest factor of the W&B. Don't get me wrong the nose will add some weight up front but not enough for the larger engine.

Tony

The longer nose by itself will do nothing for the W&B.

The idea behind the longer nose is to allow you to move weight forward. i.e. the battery. Move the battery as far forward as possible. ALSO, look at heavier batteries.

If your going to need to carry lead to make the W&B work, you may as well carry lead that can work for you :-)

Although an Oddessy PC 625 will be more than enough to start your engine, a PC 925 weights more (about 10 lbs) and gives you a lot more cranking amps.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thanks.

Assuming the center of mass is at 101 and a 20 +/- lb. battery is at FS 9 and it moves forward 6" or so to FS 3, then that is an additional 120 lbin of moment to counteract the engine. I estimate the engine is at FS 143 or so. This will counteract about 3 lbs of engine weight which is not enough. Is this correct? I guessestimate that my engine will weigh about 320lb total and the original engine weight for a O-235 is about 252 lb. So I need to make up about 70 lb which is about 2940 lbin of moment which is about 30 lb at FS 3.

If so, I need to get my engine weight down and make sure I don't get to have too much. Otherwise, it sounds like I will be adding alot of ballast.

Does everything sound right on my calcs?

Yup, Sounds like you got a handle on it.

If this is a plane that is already built, your options aren't quite as good;

Move the battery forward 12 inches or more.

Use a heavier battery i.e. Oddessy PC925 weighs about 28 lbs but is only slightly larger than a standard 25 amp aircraft battery.

If this is a new construction, move everything as far forward as you can, i.e.

Brake master cylinders in the nose instead of the firewall.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com