Jon Matcho

Introducing the Open-EZ Tandem, a 2-place tandem canard

TMann said:

Jeff, Let me look at my Roncz plans when I get a chance. (Most likely Wednesday.)

G'day TMann

Thank in advance. I will not get back in the hanger until the weekend so it isn't a real rush. The "L" jig is used for spacing the elevator and the canard. I may also have a secondary plan, so get the children into the basement!

Thanks

Jeff

G'day

This week in my email was a use at own risk "reference"/"evaluation" copy of the two Chapter 11 jigs "L" and "J"

I am attaching the PDF, but please remember they are for reference only and should be used for reference purposes....

Please note the PDF fits on a LEGAL page so you will need legal paper.

With that said, see attached. I could not post the file more than once, so please see my Progress Report. Next time I will try to remember only one posting of a file.... I even tried to rename, I will try from another computer later.

I want to thank Martin for the help. My reference copy looks good, but your results may very...

Thanks everybody that responded to my assistance request!

Jeff

Hi everybody, not to feel me as necroposter

But - this thread approximately died 8 years ago

Please tell me:

Reason of this situation - plans of OpenEZ from here wrong? So all of these people crushed in theyre homebuilt OpenEZ or not?

And for specification - 100HP will be enough motor power?

An EZ needs at least 135 HP.  150-160 is ideal.

People are still building Long-EZs from plans and a few Open-EZs.   Nobody is promoting the airplanes and I suppose prospective builders do not think there is builder support but there's are plenty of EZ-builder and Cozy builder websites.  Most all the special parts are available from the Cozygirrls and Jack Wilhelmson.  The Cozy builders google group is pretty active as well as the Canard Aviators group.  All the discussion archives and newsletters are online, so there is no reason not to build one if that's is your interest.

Do a google image search for Long-ez or Cozy Mk IV.  That will bring up pictures that will lead you to builder websites.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Thanks. Understand thsts OK. So it's time to try

I thought about 100HP cause read it would be ok with that

So I need only 180kg capacity, and 600km radius. So I can't be good with 100HP engine anyway?

more will be very expensive for me

On 3/4/2017 at 1:51 PM, Enthusiast said:

So I need only 180kg capacity, and 600km radius. So I can't be good with 100HP engine anyway?

more will be very expensive for me

Oh, it would fly on 100 hp OK but the power is needed for takeoff and climb unless you can takeoff on a Freeway.  You want to climb to, right? 🙂

These days, I doubt you can build and EZ for less than $25K and $35-40K is more like it.  A good way to go is to buy a project.  You generally get a lot of materials and labor at a discount (see current ads here) and you get the builder's labor for free.  Check projects at barnstormers.com in the experimental section

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 3/4/2017 at 11:18 AM, Enthusiast said:

Hi everybody, not to feel me as necroposter

But - this thread approximately died 8 years ago

Not at all, people are still building from the drawings and plans. That pace at which new homebuilders are getting into the hobby across the board is a different story.

Please tell me:

Reason of this situation - plans of OpenEZ from here wrong? So all of these people crushed in theyre homebuilt OpenEZ or not?

The drawings, if annotated according the first post of this thread, are correct. As the person responsible for the 1" labeling mistakes in some of the drawings, I was obligated to get the corrections out ASAP. Still, after review -- and you can read the prior posts -- the effect from incorporating the error would have been minimal.

However, like yourself, I am sure this has scared a few away from even getting started. The new and corrected drawings will make this much less of an issue. In the meantime, just read the first post in this thread closely and you'll be fine.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Member & Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Long-term:  Building a Cozy Mark IV

Hello Open-EZ builders, supporters and fans,

I updated the first post in this thread to fix some broken links and for clarity.  Pending work is still to incorporate the Roncz canard plans.

Please stay tuned for some interesting developments and updates here at the Canard Zone coming in the near future.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Member & Administrator
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Long-term:  Building a Cozy Mark IV