Introducing the Open-EZ Tandem, a 2-place tandem canard

Jon Matcho

Hello everyone!  Several years ago I contemplated building an Open EZ, but there seemed to be much back and forth over the legalities of doing so.  I was curious to know where things stand as of 2020 with going down this road.  I see people saying you just can't call it a LEZ.  Anything more than that? Also, do you still need to by the TURF plans?  

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

the plans are copyrighted but Burt has told people he doesn't care, just don't call it a Long-ez because he doesn't want the liability.  All the EZ-related newsletters and additional plans are online.  The FAA does not care--never has.     That's where it stands.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Hi Tim!

19 hours ago, TDubs74 said:

Also, do you still need to by the TURF plans?  

Kent covered your other questions, but yes, presently you need printed plans. TERF offers these, but are not yet available as part of the Open-EZ download.  

23 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

the plans are copyrighted but Burt has told people he doesn't care, just don't call it a Long-ez because he doesn't want the liability.

This is a key point. Burt has specifically asked for any Long-EZs build outside of RAF support to be NOT registered as a "Long-EZ". We should all respect that and is why new planes should be called something else, such as an Open-EZ, Xerox-EZ, Tim-EZ, etc.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

1 hour ago, Kent Ashton said:

the plans are copyrighted but Burt has told people he doesn't care, just don't call it a Long-ez because he doesn't want the liability.  All the EZ-related newsletters and additional plans are online.  The FAA does not care--never has.     That's where it stands.

Thanks Kent.  Much appreciated!  

1 hour ago, Jon Matcho said:

Hi Tim!

Kent covered your other questions, but yes, presently you need printed plans. TERF offers these, but are not yet available as part of the Open-EZ download.  

This is a key point. Burt has specifically asked for any Long-EZs build outside of RAF support to be NOT registered as a "Long-EZ". We should all respect that and is why new planes should be called something else, such as an Open-EZ, Xerox-EZ, Tim-EZ, etc.

Thanks to you too Jon!  I can fully appreciate that.  Look forward to hopefully asking more questions!

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

I suggest you download the manual and other plans from this site   http://www.aryjglantz.com/p/documents.html?m=0  You never know when and internet site is going to disappear.  I have an original copy of the build manual if you want that, complete but no license agreement page, with Open-ez templates.  $250   PM me if interested.   

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 8 months later...