Introducing the Open-EZ Tandem, a 2-place tandem canard

Jon Matcho

CANARDWANNABE said:

I'm a newbie though I've followed the kitplane/homebuilt industry since the early 80's

Welcome to the Canard Zone!

...I was wondering about Rutan's Plans. I noticed he doesn't sell the plans anymore but people seem to be selling copies of his plans.

TERF Inc. is authorized by RAF to sell plans, but without the templates.

Is he concerned about this?

He's aware of it.

I mean does he want royalties or doesn't he care?

For him to take royalties would bring along a level of liability, which he doesn't want.

Can people still scratch build his aircraft?

You can scratch build ANYTHING you like, whether copyrighted or patented. If you build a plane from copied, borrowed, or TERF + Open-EZ drawings, just DO NOT call the result a Long-EZ -- that is our obligation to Burt Rutan.

Or are there some sort of copright issues?

Read this thread from start to finish.

And what about the stuff you can get through his factory? I thought they don't want you building their planes than what is this...Roncz canard, Belcrank mod, speedbrake mod, high performance rudders...? what is this stuff?

RAF is selling items to improve the safety of the existing Long-EZ fleet. They do not want for any new RAF homebuilt aircraft to be built.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks for the work Carlos, but...

carlos said:

i allways work with milimeters...

Sorry to hear that. :)

...it is 10 times more acurated than centimeters, and dont need to work with decimals.

I would argue that 100mm is no more accurate than 10cm, but I see your point.

what i did now is look for a specific format so the all drawing fits in,"ARCH D".

Any size paper is fine -- the smaller the better to avoid excessive printing charges.

this format is 24 x 36 inches and because now you can see the rulers of my drawing (the distace is 50 milimeters or 1,9685 inches, 2 in. for the friends) in the border you can check if it is correctly printed.

anyway i send you the dwg just in case.

There needs to be an indication of that on the drawing itself. The problem w/rounding inches to 2.0 is that over 36" the drawing will appear to be more than 0.5" off (confusing).

Do they use English rules at all where you're at Carlos? The majority of canard builders are using English measurements.

soon or later we will get it :)

It's getting there. Thank you for the contribution!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have an e1230 cad file (either .dwg or .dwf?)

My source was from Airfoil Optimizer but was very much off the mark.

I'm ready to cut foam but would like to work from a 1 piece plot vs. the cut & paste method.

I get all my airfoil DWG files from this site.

http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_dwgFmt/airfoils_dwg_format/

I think the standard size for all the airfoil files is 12" I scale them as required.

I saved almost all of the files to a folder so that I would always have them.

Robert

New 1/3rd owner of an Aerocanard. :o)

Here is an E1230 (white) overlaid on the LongEZ airfoil.

The main difference is the undercamber of E1230 is gone, I assume for easier building, and the lump at the top near the leading edge is gone. Also I guess for easier building.

post-1445-141090155512_thumb.jpg

I have DWGs for the airfoil templates but I have not printed them to test, that is why I have not yet released them.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Do a google search and download DWGgateway. This will allow you to open this 2004 format in earlier versions of autocad.

I think you can get it for free from the Solidworks website.

If you still can't open it I'll upload an earlier version.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

• 9 months later...

To whom it may concern... (or should that be "To those who have concerns...")

I too have now had the template drawings A1 through A14 printed - and if value to anybody - I can confirm what others have found i.e. if the drawings are printed unscaled they come out as they are supposed to, and aligns perfectly with the corrected check measurements given below:

A2: printed tick marks say: 23" x 17", actual: 23" x 16"

A7: printed tick marks say: 18 1/8" x 23 1/2", actual: 17 1/8" x 22 1/2"

A10: printed tick marks say: 22" x 17", actual: 21" x 17"

Personally I found it very reassuring to se the full scale prints match up so nicely. So do not let this issue put you off the idea of becoming en 'EZ-opener'...

Regards,

Henrik

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I want to build a Long EZ, has this method worked out with the Terf and Open EZ for build one?

Mike

You can't actually call it Long-EZ if you use Open-EZ templates. To build a Long-EZ you would need original plans and templates.

For everyone else...

So how is the Open-EZ rev6 going?

I am sure at this point RAF cannot be contacted to get the Roncz templates. Their website is no longer active. What are the chances of having all the RAF templates available from them 2 years ago in the latest rev?

raiki

Member Join Date: May 2006

Re: Open-EZ CAD Drawings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here's something that is missing from the Open-EZ project that has been asked for a lot. I had been working on it for some time but let it lapse. This new topic has renewed my interest so I finished it.

Here are the Roncz canard templates. There are some dimensions added to the checking templates and also 1" strikes all around the page. This will verify your printing is correct. It is on one D sized sheet (36"x24"). I may actually include the templates in pages of the plans if we decide 11"x17" is the size the plans will be. Initially I was using A4/Letter so they were easy to print at home.

I don't have a title bar like Vortal, but I have a logo. Hope you like.

Canard Templates.pdf

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

This is where I got my templates and they checked against origionals.

Jeff

Roncz Canard.pdf

Kalvin said:

On page A-1 can someone give me the heighth and width of the leg cut out

Left leg: 9.1875" x 7.46875"; right leg: 9.1875" x 6.375". Or, left: 9-3/16" x 7-15/32"; right: 9-3/16" x 6-3/8".

Long_EZ_77 said:

So how is the Open-EZ rev6 going?

It's on the project plan, on the drafting table (yes, people actually still have/use these), and coming soon to a URL near you.

Jim Hann said:

Not trying to stir the pot but is there a Rev 6 in the works Jon?

Yes.

I know you talked about it a year or two ago but I haven't seen anything.

First I have to get the Open-EZ Twin out the door, then Rev 6 (which makes that look VERY E-Z). Looking back, looks like Rev 6 needs to contain:

• Same PDFs with corrections to dimensions on A2, A7, A10.
  • Roncz, rudders, landing brake.
  • Canard Pusher Newsletters.

Just curious!

Jim, perennial pre-build

Cozy, MK-IV, Viggen, Boredom Fighter, Open-EZ?

Okay, now I am curious... which of those planes are you going to build and when? :confused:

Does anyone have a program that will convert the Roncz Canard PDF into a DXF, DWG, or IGES format?

Better yet, here is the DWG that I created and produced the PDF from. Ask and ye shall receive:cool2: , no point trying to reverse engineer it from the PDF.

Roncz.zip

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

airnico said:

...the long-Ez's copyright is expired after almost 30 years...

That's not correct according to www.copyright.gov:

www.copyright.gov said:

A work that was created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of its creation and is ordinarily given a term enduring for the author’s life plus an additional 70 years after the author’s death.

I believe you are thinking about how patents work.

Arbiter said:

Is anyone else having trouble opening Raiki's Roncz drawings?

I am unable to open as well.

Speaking of file types, I just added DWG and DXF support as file types for upload here.

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention this is an AutoCAD 2008 DWG format.

DXF is bad because all splines get turned into lots of little straight lines end to end. You need ot remember that converting it a different format does not necessarily mean you will have exactly the same output. Any type of DWG will be fine.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

While we seem to be taking another swing at preparing the next revision of Open-EZ take a look at this. It's a first draft of some of the wing templates. These are NOT VERIFIED, nor are they a complete set, but I am fairly confident they are good.

Attached are a PDF for quick viewing and the DWG for editing. They are full size complete airfoils on an E size sheet.

Enjoy

Right Wing Templates.dwg

Right Wing Templates.pdf

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

While we seem to be taking another swing at preparing the next revision of Open-EZ take a look at this. It's a first draft of some of the wing templates. These are NOT VERIFIED, nor are they a complete set, but I am fairly confident they are good.

Attached are a PDF for quick viewing and the DWG for editing. They are full size complete airfoils on an E size sheet.

Enjoy

[ATTACH]2092[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2093[/ATTACH]

These are very nice Adrian, very professional looking! Now, if someone has plans to verify these against we can vett them! May I ask how you drew these? Did you trace or take a certain number of points along upper surface and lower surface and use a spline to generate? What I was thinking of doing was taking a set of points, once every half inch or so. I was thinking of measuring each point several times and taking the average of the measurements and then importing them as a set of points and drawing a curve through them. That was my plan for the wing templates at least. Anwyho, may be a moot point since these look great, and we just need to verify them against the original drawings! Great job!

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot

May I ask how you drew these?

Quite simply they are traced. You import the raster image, then trace over it. Much the same idea as putting the original on an illuminated table with tracing sheet over the top. Doing this way guarantees they are very accurate (well at least as accurate as the raster image). This is why I am certain that these shapes will match the plans VERY well. The only reason they wouldn't is if the scans are not very accurate.

Most of the airfoil shapes are splines, with reference points picked at the most suitable locations. By this I mean an area with a radius changing regularly has reference points close together, long almost straight areas have much fewer points. This makes a nice accurate image with not too large number of points and with that file size. Using lots of points actually has a disadvantage in that the line may appear 'wavy' when looked at closely. This may not effect the printed output in a great manner or hand made templates, but it could give laser cutters the %#@$.

The only issue with these is that older lasers don't cut splines, they need to be converted to arcs. This doesn't bother me much because I did not do this with laser cutting in mind. I did it simply to move the plans into a decade without flares and orange sun glasses.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Arbiter, have I now convinced you we don't need to pay a professional ????:cool2:

Vortals work is also very good, and I think if we combine my templates with his title blocks and his fuselage templates we have a very good starting point.

As well as this I have been rewriting the plans (with CAD illustration). Take a look at a sample here (again a draft and not verified):

OpenEZ Plans.pdf

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Enjoy

[ATTACH]2092[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2093[/ATTACH]

i open dwg file 1-4 all empty ?

Steve M. Parkins