a 250 Knot Long EZ

airwrench

Hi Jack,

Im sure we are all very interested to benefit from your knowledge and ideas of what aspects of canard design contribute to real gains in aerodynamic efficiency.

Do you have a website for your aircraft and your endeavours?

You mentioned that you gained 8kts from your mod's to your cowlings, what other mod's have revealed benefits?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bruce.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack,

Congratulations on the cooling success. 5 years of experimentation must have been damned frustrating. Appreciate the reply. Will get back to you for some pictures once you have it all repainted.

Cheers,

Wayne

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Thanks Wayne/Bruce from dowm under.

Tomorrow I will disassemble the AC, strip off the old paint and redo. It will be interesting to see how much weight I save. I will keep every one posted with the before and after weights. I am looking for 100 to 130 lbs reduction. If that is correct, I will be able to loose another 30 lbs in the nose ballast, because most of the weight is aft CG weight. That could possibly net me 150-160 lbs weight. I only weigh 165. Should take about 3-4 weeks.

Jack

Jack, why not consider a new and improved paint scheme while you're at it? Not that there was ANYTHING wrong with the current scheme.

Also, what's the technique for stripping paint off of a composite aircraft?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Lon

I have experimented with at least 10-15- different designs and colors and I keep returning to the original scheme. There will be a new take-off on the flames but otherwise it will be the same. What can I say. About the striping of the paint, I talked with two people who do soda blasting and I am not comfortable with the process. I had one of the companies trial test my old lower cowling and it was terrible. So, today I removed the left wing and sanded it and the left strake to the primer, block sanded it and will reprime it tomorrow and block it a second time. I suspect it will take me at least 3 weeks to finish the repaint. The sanding is going faster than I would have expected but it sure is messy. I weighed the wing before striping and will weigh it when completely stripped. I started with 36 grit-to 80 grit-to 150 grit and reprimed. then 320 for final sand and then seal. Always block sand all coats. I'll let you know haw much weight I saved.

Jack

Richard

Not yet but it will be different. I'll send some photos wnen I have completed the painting. I am trying to use the BASF extreme rainbow colors in the flames. For all interested, I am using PPG base/clear coat paint and have painted several AC with this product and am very satisified with the results. It is no way the least expensive product but I have been using PPG products for over 45 years and have found them to be excellent in quality, performance and application.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

OK

I removed both wings and weighed the left wing, with all control surfaces attached, wireing for lighting and nav/strobe lights and weighed 93 lbs. I originally put on 5 coats of acyrlic laq. paint, did not like the results, sanded down, recoated with sealer, base coat stripes, and 3 high build PPG 2042 clear coat, sanded and buffed. Over the next 8 years painted the AC 3 more times the same way. I sanded the paint off to the substrate, bubbles, and reweighed the wing. I could hardly believe the results. Total difference was 10 lbs. I went to the paint store and weighed the product less the cans at 96.5 lbs to paint the total AC one time. I estimate that one wing is about 1/4 the paint applied, so that would be about 24 lbs applied and actual weight on the AC would be about 3 lbs per paint job. At this point, I would estimate that the total weight for painting this type AC, And I am talking primer, sealer, base coat, stripes, and 3 clear coat does not weigh more than 15 lbs at the most. I have painted all my life and had no idea on how much waste there was in the application of paint, there was no reason until know. I will not know the final weight savings until reassemble and do a final weight and balance. I painted a Lancair about 5 years ago and after talking to him last week, he said that he did a weight and balance before paint and without upholstery, and weighed in after painting and upholstery at 41 lbs more. Ruined my day. So I wouldn't be worried about putting a nice paint job on your AC, the weight penalty will not hurt you. One good note, 50% of the weight is in the wings which are way behind CG and I was able to remove 25 lbs of ballist from my nose. I'll post again when I have completed the project, hopefully by the end oa the month.

Jack

OK

I removed both wings and weighed the left wing, with all control surfaces attached, wireing for lighting and nav/strobe lights and weighed 93 lbs. I originally put on 5 coats of acyrlic laq. paint, did not like the results, sanded down, recoated with sealer, base coat stripes, and 3 high build PPG 2042 clear coat, sanded and buffed. Over the next 8 years painted the AC 3 more times the same way. I sanded the paint off to the substrate, bubbles, and reweighed the wing. I could hardly believe the results. Total difference was 10 lbs. I went to the paint store and weighed the product less the cans at 96.5 lbs to paint the total AC one time. I estimate that one wing is about 1/4 the paint applied, so that would be about 24 lbs applied and actual weight on the AC would be about 3 lbs per paint job. At this point, I would estimate that the total weight for painting this type AC, And I am talking primer, sealer, base coat, stripes, and 3 clear coat does not weigh more than 15 lbs at the most. I have painted all my life and had no idea on how much waste there was in the application of paint, there was no reason until know. I will not know the final weight savings until reassemble and do a final weight and balance. I painted a Lancair about 5 years ago and after talking to him last week, he said that he did a weight and balance before paint and without upholstery, and weighed in after painting and upholstery at 41 lbs more. Ruined my day. So I wouldn't be worried about putting a nice paint job on your AC, the weight penalty will not hurt you. One good note, 50% of the weight is in the wings which are way behind CG and I was able to remove 25 lbs of ballist from my nose. I'll post again when I have completed the project, hopefully by the end oa the month.

Jack

I agree 100%. With 360 HP, it does not help a great deal. I have installed an adjustable wastegate on my intake side to try to improve MPG. I'll let everyone know how effective it is after all my testing is complete. This stripping project is a pain in the butt.

Jack

MPG numbers are nice when you are not trying to go around the pack. You know, those times when you fall out of altitude and drop in for a little sight seeing, 15+ gph just gets into the pocketbook a little more than comfort allows. I am building a 13B, using a T-4 turbo and the stock injection system. I will probably bump high horsepower for a moment, til the temps tell me to back out of it!!!!!!!!! I thought for a long time about putting a IO540 in my ez but, getting good fuel numbers is hard. My goal is to have good long range and acceptable cruise performance.....hope to hang around 200 kts while still staying in the ballpark on the fuel usage. If I had 360hp in the back, lookout!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the paintwork:)