Berkut Canopy hinges wanted

xaplax

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TMann

I read your post on canardaviation and maybe you really should cast these hinges if you preffer solid ones. I had subject about casting and foundry in my school theory and laboratory we were using different methods like sand casting, die casting, investment casting and others but I dont know how I should call them in English. There is no point to use die casting method if we are going to make less then 400 parts (its to expensive) I belive the best method will be sand casting.

Short info about sand casting on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_casting

I included picture of the part which I did in that method. I know nothing special but the point was to become familiar with that method.

post-2134-141090156271_thumb.jpg

The 'Lost Foam' sand casting technique is what I tried. It had a tendancy to twist a bit as it cooled.

The next step was to cut a master out of wood beveled slightly towards the center to facilitate extraction from the mold. If I was going to make several sets that would be a very good, economical way to go ........ however...

in the time it would take me to make the master, drive back and forth a couple times I could cut them out of a solid pice of 6061 so that's what I did. It's just a small task in the build and I didn't want to turn it into a career. :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done