Project: Free Long-EZ Templates

Jon Matcho

Jon

My buddy is sending me a viewer we can supply here, so when these files are downloaded you can simply download the viewer file as well, This will make things alot easier. I should have it this week I'll send it to you, then we can add it to the drawings. I have the landing gear detail almost complete it is in 2D and 3D man I wish I had this stuff when I was building :sad:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with the AutoCAD DWG viewer? It's free, and I used it just fine to turn your 3D drawings all over the place, zooming in/out, and just fiddling. Worked great and it was easy -- much better than the Bentley Viewer IMO.

Yes, it is definitely nice to have a 3D model to play with, and definitely should be part of the next generation of 2-place tandem canard plans. I still have questions about my landing gear bulkheads -- I either built them wrong, or the plans are wrong (AeroCanard FG), or my brain is wrong (most probable). Point is that I could see what was up if I could get my hands on someone else's project, or the next best thing -- a 3D model.

I look forward to checking out your next revisions Tony.

I believe Jon Matcho is working on a folder so you can download these files right from this site. As soon as I finish the rest of these drawings you'll be able to download them here. Maybe we can have a all formats, PDF,DXF,DWG, Etc. Etc......and all you would have to do is download which ever file/format you wanted this may eliminate forcing everyone into a cad viewer. :rolleyes: I don't know I'll let Jon field that one.

Whoops, just caught that post snuck in there. Yes, I'm working on some Web software that will allow us to manage files. I suppose I might be able to use the forum software as well. I'll put some time into this later this week.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

My 2 cents worth, :)

At least with .DXF (or what ever autocad type file) those that want to modify the aircraft are easily able to. With .PDF the drawings are not so easily changed then printed.

The idea of being able to supply the end product in multiple formats would be ideal (more work obviously, but ideal).

Jamie

"An upsidedown Australian that wants to build an aircraft that flys backwards"

Jon

I was just suggesting that maybe we could have the viewer put on the site or where ever, so that anyone that needed it could simply grab it with the files :)

I still have questions about my landing gear bulkheads -- I either built them wrong, or the plans are wrong (AeroCanard FG), or my brain is wrong (most probable). Point is that I could see what was up if I could get my hands on someone else's project, or the next best thing -- a 3D model.

Jon

are your gear bulkheads modeled after the Long Ez? if so I have the 3D almost done of that if you want it. I'll send it anyway even if it isn't ;) I think this is what you are looking for :scared: of course, I'm not real familiar with that airplane.

(ooohhhh the shame) :D

Tony

are your gear bulkheads modeled after the Long Ez?

No, mine are AeroCanard bulkheads which are widened Cozy Mark IV bulkheads which are a different design than the Long-EZ it seems.

In other news, I received a set of Long-EZ templates this week. However, due to a communication problem, these templates are the result of taking the paper templates to make wooden templates. I suppose I could reverse engineer them, but that's not anything I wanted to do.

Minimally I will compare these templates to the paper template copies I already have. Maybe they are accurate indeed.

So... back to the drawing board for locating original Long-EZ plans templates to verify my copies against. If anyone can help with this please e-mail me.

There's a much better chance of me picking up Rhino than AutoCad. I know a couple others using it as well, notably Ken Knevel for the models he has up on his www.aerchitecture.com site.

Remember all... we're talking about 2 versions at this point:

• Long-EZ Templates, scanned via analog means to PDF
  • New EZ Templates, produced via CAD
I'll let you know how the wood templates compare to my plan copies, FWIW, as this would give a good verification of how good the copies are. If very good, I'll consider scanning those to PDF. Still, I'm not going to stop until I manage to borrow some actual templates.

I also started sketching out a configuration for setup of the project collaboration software we have at work. I have to prioritize this between customer projects, so please don't expect lightning fast turnaround.

Mike

Yeah I knew that I'm not sure about everyone else. We are focusing on

1. Long Ez stock and modified drawings

2. Cozy MKIV modified drawings

3. Berkut if possible

the idea is to make scale drawings of the most popular mods being done to these 3 versions and maybe come up with a whole new bird.

Tony

The idea is to make scale drawings of the most popular mods being done to these 3 versions and maybe come up with a whole new bird.

I am completely on board. I understood about the Long EZ templates but until your last couple of posts I didn't realize that you were also talking about modified cozy templates.

This is very, very cool.

---Mike

Mike

yeah pretty cool indeed, something the canard family has needed for a while. Jon Matcho is heading up the organization of the drawings. I send him modified Long Ez drawings as I finish them. I don't know to much about the Cozy so I haven't had to modify those drawings. Since I can download the originals from the cozy site I can modify them in CAD with no problem. ;)

Tony

Jon Matcho is heading up the organization of the drawings. I send him modified Long Ez drawings as I finish them.

Tony,

I downloaded your work from ez.org (very nice by the way). Where are you guys posting what you have done recently?

---Mike

Mike

Some of the progress is a bit slow as this is just for fun ;) . I have a day job that keeps me pretty busy. I try to complete drawings as I have time. I try not to let it interfere with my building of the Long Ez. Some of these drawings that I did in 3D will really clarify what the plans say. It'll be nice to be able to post them up when Jon gets the site setup. :D It's gonna be great. Glad you liked the drawings so far.

Tony

I've been making slow but steady progress towards setting up an area to download these files. It's dependant on getting the software I mentioned setup to allow self-service.

Tony and others, in the meantime you're more than welcome to attach some files to posts in this thread.

It looks like we just might be getting closer to having the templates converted to PDF. I should be receiving main wing templates in the mail shortly. I also have good 1st generation copies of the entire Long-EZ plans set, which I am thinking to convert as well.

I'll see what I can do about connecting with that monster Rutgers University scanner I mentioned previously.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the effort Jon and Tony! I am getting geared up to start my modified EZ and all this info is great! I ordered the terf CD and will be starting my build in March.

Press on!

Tom

"Time flys when your building"

Dave

nice to see you out there buddy. Busy at work hey?;)

Jon

I can render those 3D drawings as pictures and you can put them on a cd in a SW Isometric view. which is sort of a quartering view. the only thing is you can't edit a rendered drawing which might be a good thing. I do apologize for not sending the 2D of the gear attach detail it's a whole lota time to convert all the little things on that template it was far easier to draw it in 3D. I would definately have that one scanned 2D if possible. The other templates are pretty straight forward. By the way Jon, did I send you the bulkhead and nose gear drawings in PDF ? can't remember.:rolleyes:

Tony

nice to see you out there buddy. Busy at work hey?;)

To say that it's a zoo here is an understatement. I'm leaving for a week in the Caribbean next Thursday, and it can't come soon enough. I only hope that I can convince myself to come back. It's going to be hard.

I'm also starting to get my garage in order for what I hope is the summer plane building season. There's lots of empty white wall space to pin templates to :D

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Holly crap, I go away for a few weeks and you guys have this thing almost all worked out. Nice going!

Not sure what I can do to help, but if there is anything I can do, please let me know. Jon I can help with your website if needed as I have some experiance in variouse web techo.

Tony, is your plane using rounded fuselege like the berkut or flat bottom like stock. Not sure what the rounded design offers, but it certainly looks cooler. If I remember correctly you did stretch the nose.

Bart

Tony, is your plane using rounded fuselege like the berkut or flat bottom like stock. Not sure what the rounded design offers, but it certainly looks cooler. If I remember correctly you did stretch the nose.

Bart

yes, I have the rounded nose on my airplane. I used the more rounded f-22 bulkhead that you see in my drawings. You can even go rounder than I did but the sides of the fuse are still relatively flat. So, you can round the bottom of f22 a bit more if you wish which will give you a really nice transition from the flat bottom into the rounded nose. I agree the rounded nose looks a heck of alot better than the stock nose. For the sake of building I kept the fuse sides flat because I didn't want the hassel of building a jig to get the sides rounded like the Berkut. sorry this is short I'm at work gotta go now.

Tony

I got lost in Rhino 3D yesterday for several hours. I produced the seatback bulkhead, but found I did it slightly wrong so I threw it out. Great piece of software though.

For the sake of building I kept the fuse sides flat because I didn't want the hassel of building a jig to get the sides rounded like the Berkut.

I'm contemplating doing exactly this... model the bulkheads, and then contour a modified fuselage around that. I'm just going to play with the idea right now, and if I get somewhere with it I can post some pics. Seems easy enough.

Jon,

Lookin forward to seeing the work, I am getting the shop set up now and am in the process of building the jig table for my plug mold. I bought 6 levelers from Lee Valley and they will make getting the table right a lot easier. Thanks for the tip :) Best part so far is I got all the materials free from construction site dumpsters where they threw away new materials!

Still waiting on my Terf CD. I think it got lost in the mail. Been 2 weeks now. Also, as soon as I get going, I will post a new page and pics for the build on my site at http://www.free-build-it-info.com/index.html

And finally, I'm still lookin for someone local to learn layups :scared:

Press on !

Tom

"Time flys when your building"