Who flys an EZ or Cozy in X-Plane?

There should be a text file entitled "Long-EZ_book.txt" in the folder containing all of the other components of the Long-EZ for X-Plane. In this text file, there are instructions for changing the setting using the X-Plane companion program "PlaneMaker." PlaneMaker is easy to use for designing airplanes for X-Plane. The instructions are as follows:

Instructions for Lycoming O-320 150 HP engine and Culver 60-67 Prop:

(for 182 KTAS (206 mph true) at 2,825 RPM and 9.2 gph)

Open in PlaneMaker

Standard Menu > Engine Specs

Description TAB

Top Center of page, "max power"

CHANGE 115 => 150

Location TAB

Second Row from Bottom, Left side;

"design spd, acf prop"

CHANGE 180 => 200

close Engines page

Standard Menu > Weight & Balance

WEIGHTS section

"empty weight"

CHANGE 775.5 => 825.5

close Weight & Balance page

File Menu SAVE

File Menu QUIT

Prop change is simply increased pitch, from original 60-63 (180 mph) to 60-67 (200 mph);

(60 is the diameter in inches, and 63 or 67 are inches through the air in one revolution at optimum prop design speed. This is how prop pitch is expressed for real propellers- inches in 1 rev at Vopt.)

Weight change is due to heavier engine, and ballast required in nose to keep CG in proper range.

Hope this helps, post here again if it doesn't.

Curt Boyll VariEze N111JK Boulder, CO

Thanks for the info. I will make the changes and look forward to doing my 6 minute flights! until the CD's arrive.

I have used many simulators for gliding and getting used to intrument layouts (like PA28 and FS2004) for situational awareness, when things go 'pear shape' and you have low hours on type, the last thing you need is to be hunting around the panel for switches and knobs:confused:

I've only spent 2 - 3 hours with X-Plane and so far I find it absolutely amazing. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with it.

Once again, thanks for your efforts.

MikeD (U.K.)

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.

Strider,

Thanks for making the Long Ez model for X-Plane available. Also, thanks for coming back online as I was beginning to loose hope that you were still active in this work.

After 15 years + flying Cessna high wings, I found transitioning to the full scale Long Ez a bit of a challenge in the landing phase. Hard to overcome long time habits that do not relate well to the canard type. I don't have many hours in the type yet and can't yet access my plane conveniently. So, I'm interested in staying proficient by using X-Plane.

At any rate, I agree that an innacurate simulator is worse than no simulator. That is why I was trying to contact you about the fidelity of your 8.40 Long Ez in x-plane version 8.6x. Do you think your 8.40 Long Ez has a good chance of passing the FAA simulator standards as is?

I'm just starting with X-plane and don't yet have rudder pedals. However, the model seems to have a a trim issue. Am I missing something or does the model not have trim levers/controls?

• 9 months later...

I flew my first Cozy IV in X-plane. Using X-plane V9 on my new screaming machine with a 15" lcd. need to work on the graphic situation. I got a little lost for a minute (I think due to the 15" screen) but I made a nice approach and landing the 1st time at 85 kts.

The first thing I learned is don't let the brakes off at full throttle - short takeoff method does not apply.

The first thing I learned is don't let the brakes off at full throttle - short takeoff method does not apply.

What is it that you think you learned about how to fly a COZY MKIV on a takeoff roll from X-Plane, and what short takeoff methods don't apply?

One short field takeoff method is hold brakes, runup procedure... throttle full, release brakes - that's a method I learned for Cessna aircraft.

When I did this in X-plane my front wheel came up and I had a propstrike - so could that really happen? Maybe my X-plane pilot doesn't weigh as much as me.

I have no delusions that I learned anything about a Real Cozy MKIV, just the simulated X-plane version, mind you.

When I did this in X-plane my front wheel came up and I had a propstrike - so could that really happen?

So what, exactly (or even hand waving approximately) would be the physics behind an aircraft, with a thrust line above the ground (as all airplanes have) and the CG ahead of the main gear, rearing up on it's hind legs when the brakes are released?

While I will certainly admit that there is nose gear compression under full braking with full throttle, and a bit of rebound when the brakes are released or the throttle retarded, without hitting a major bump at some reasonable speed the nose will NOT "jump" off the ground.

Hell, one of the major complaints about these planes from some folks is their relatively high rotation speed - if the rotation speed was "zero", I don't think you'd be hearing those complaints.

Maybe my X-plane pilot doesn't weigh as much as me.

Unless the CG is behind the main wheels, in which case you'd fall over backwards whether the engine was running or not, the pilot weight isn't material. What's clear is that X-plane's COZY MKIV model is doing something absurd in this flight regime. I can't imagine what it thinks it's doing, but my guess would be that this behavior is some silly software artifact left over from doing something else that's correct.

I have no delusions that I learned anything about a Real Cozy MKIV, just the simulated X-plane version, mind you.

Good, because you didn't :-).

So what, exactly (or even hand waving approximately) would be the physics behind an aircraft, with a thrust line above the ground (as all airplanes have) and the CG ahead of the main gear, rearing up on it's hind legs when the brakes are released?

Powered Main Gear? Was there any sqealling sound about the same time?

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

It may be because I have my brakes set to the most aggressive braking level.

Just taking off that way doesn't repeat the problem, it is a PIO.

The physics involved mostly has to do with inertia and the pitching moment and the problem seems to be a pilot induced oscillation from the elevator and brakes.

We wiped our drive before installing version 9.0, where can we download the CG version of the Mk-IV without signing up or joining anything?

...Chrissi

Email sent.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

"When I did this in X-plane my front wheel came up and I had a propstrike"

Is that not just popping a wheelie?

just too much power :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Strider,

Do you think your 8.40 Long Ez has a good chance of passing the FAA simulator standards as is?

I'm just starting with X-plane and don't yet have rudder pedals. However, the model seems to have a a trim issue. Am I missing something or does the model not have trim levers/controls?

Although I would like to develop the handling and performance of canards in X-Plane, No they are currently not at the level of fidelity that would adhere to FAA requirements.

The Cozy in X-Plane has Trim indicators, but unfortunately I have it currently designed for the use of Hat Switches on your stick in order to adjust the trims. I'll need to add the Panel Mounted trim controls, in addition to the trim setting indicators. I have not yet completed updating the canard designs for X-Plane version 9. Sorry about the delay.

One short field takeoff method is hold brakes, runup procedure... throttle full, release brakes - that's a method I learned for Cessna aircraft.

When I did this in X-plane my front wheel came up and I had a propstrike - so could that really happen? Maybe my X-plane pilot doesn't weigh as much as me.

The main problem with X-Plane is that it is a moving target. No matter how accurate a designer makes a plane in one version of the sim, with the very next version the physics may change and ruin all efforts at optimization.

My canards for X-Plane have not been optimized in the new version 9.x and they need to be. Flight modeling has changed so much in this new version, there are several problems. It is almost impossible to get a prop strike in a real Cozy, so obviously the model is wrong in some critical respect.

Sorry it is taking so long to release updated canards for X-Plane. I have been working this summer at getting back to building my own Cozy project, in addition to maintaining our VariEze.

• 8 months later...

Here is a download link for a Long-EZ in X-Plane version 9. This has been tested in v9.21 and should work well in v9.22 and the v9.30 betas. I'll update it again if required when v9.30 goes final-release.

Lyc. O-320 150 HP carbureted; Empty wt. 825 Lbs. Custom artwork for EFIS, GPS, EIS, radios and simple autopilot. Takeoff Vr is 71 KIAS; Full-aft-stick speed is 58 KIAS with a rapid pitch buck; Top speed is 212 MPH true (185 KTAS) at 9,500 MSL drawing 9.2 GPH RoP and 385 F CHT.

For best results set Stick response to fully non-linear in Settings/Joystick & Equipment/Centering in X-Plane. Please read the included text file.

http://www.vigilanceaero.com/LongEZ_320_921.zip

http://www.vigilanceaero.com/Long-EZ_921_air.jpg

http://www.vigilanceaero.com/Long-EZ_921_pnl.jpg

Updated O-200 VariEze and IO-360 Cozy MkIV are in process. Interestingly, the VEZ and the Cozy do not have the rapid pitch buck of the Long, but demonstrate slow, gentle pitch buck. Hmmm ...

Sorry for the long delay.