EFIS Cost Rising.

querk1a1

Here is my latest thought about EFIS'. With the rising cost, I hope that there is a limit to the amount of upgrades and improvements, it seems that by the time I get around to buying the eletronics, they will be awesome but out of my price range. I understand technology cost money but, for instance when one first came out it was $9300, now almost $15000, not including any of the other things you will need. I think the added features of that item ( and other available systems ) are a good value but I hope not to be priced out before I am ready to buy it. I'm uneasy with the thought of buying an instrument before the Tub is done!!!! I am hoping a balance of cost and features are still in the back of everyones mind. Well, despite the cost, it's still my first choice!!!! Well made product, Maybe I'll get a couple of promotions before then!!!! Happy Building!

-Jonathan

Here is my latest thought about EFIS'. ......!!!! Happy Building!

-Jonathan

Janathan,

Free advice is usually too costly, however, if you are just at your tub-- hold off. Avionics, and for that matter engines, are changing so rapidly that it is almost like buying a computer. I can almost guarentee you that by the time you are ready to fly, there will be a box that is lighter, cheaper and does many more functions, including those that you can't even think of now.

This comes from someone who for a previous homebuilt bought a Garmin 812(loran), had it converted to an 816 (loran) and traded that in on a GX55(gps) which was the only radio to fly. I also had a 196 garmin (the flying brick) sold that to get a 296 and drool over a 396. Knowing that my aerocanard won't be ready for at least 1 1/2 years, I am holding off--- Anybody looking for a very slightly used 296? :irked:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I understand technology cost money but, for instance when one first came out it was $9300, now almost $15000, not including any of the other things you will need.

I presume you're talking about the Blue Mountain EFIS/One, which is the cat's a$$ of EFI (or is it 'EFISes').

I wouldn't get too worked up about your panel, or the state of the industry. So much is changing and improving, that prices for these electronic devices, like anything else, WILL come down over time.

As Rich said, your panel is the last thing you should purchase. Still, doesn't hurt to dream. I was originally thinking I "needed" to have the Blue Mountain EFIS/One, but am now planning for smaller devices/displays without every bell and whistle. After all, if you buy just one of the sub-$3,000 units, you get the primary instruments and extras. I am looking forward to more competition in this price range than at the $15K price range.

Then again, maybe I'll get a promotion too.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my latest thought about EFIS'. With the rising cost, I hope that there is a limit to the amount of upgrades and improvements, it seems that by the time I get around to buying the eletronics, they will be awesome but out of my price range. I understand technology cost money but, for instance when one first came out it was $9300, now almost $15000, not including any of the other things you will need. I think the added features of that item ( and other available systems ) are a good value but I hope not to be priced out before I am ready to buy it. I'm uneasy with the thought of buying an instrument before the Tub is done!!!! I am hoping a balance of cost and features are still in the back of everyones mind. Well, despite the cost, it's still my first choice!!!! Well made product, Maybe I'll get a couple of promotions before then!!!! Happy Building!

-Jonathan

Jonathan,

By the time you are ready for that equipment, competition will have driven the price down.The older technology (today's) will probably be available at the same or lower price than it is available for today.

The desirability of glass panels has just become a reality recently, and the manufacturers are seeing what the market will bear. Things will probably sort themselves out.

We saw that happen with Loran, GPS, and in the past, transponders, encoders (I still have one that I paid about 700 for 20 years ago.) The first small eifs, Sandal, was about 8 grand a few years ago. Look at the new portable garmin (396), now for under 3K that has many more features

If you don't install the equipment relatively rapidly after you get it, you may have warrenty problems. You may be paying for necessary upgrades along the line, and the model that you buy today may be discontinued, due to some fatal flaw in its design which only shows up after a few years in the field or necessary software upgrades nonexistant . :sad:

BUT, I can certainly see your side. :envy: You may get a unit that will remain unchanged or have continuing support, at todays prices to find that it indeed has sky rocketed. I have a friend that got a Chelton unit that way. Unfortunately he has spent the better part of a year getting it to work. (new software after new software, replacement of certain electronics etc. Seems to have gotten it working now, after a lot of effort and time.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• 3 weeks later...

Janathan,

Free advice is usually too costly, however, if you are just at your tub-- hold off. Avionics, and for that matter engines, are changing so rapidly that it is almost like buying a computer. I can almost guarentee you that by the time you are ready to fly, there will be a box that is lighter, cheaper and does many more functions, including those that you can't even think of now.

This comes from someone who for a previous homebuilt bought a Garmin 812(loran), had it converted to an 816 (loran) and traded that in on a GX55(gps) which was the only radio to fly. I also had a 196 garmin (the flying brick) sold that to get a 296 and drool over a 396. Knowing that my aerocanard won't be ready for at least 1 1/2 years, I am holding off--- Anybody looking for a very slightly used 296? :irked:

I second Rich. Integrated digital electronics being what it is, it's very likely that prices will fall and capabilities will increase. I don't expect it to be as dramatic as with consumer electronics, the market simply isn't that big, so scale effects are - in our case - detrimental.

On another note, you might find it interesting to learn that several open source EFIS projects are under way. Some of them are registered on sourceforge.net. Hopefully, one of them will have matured by the time I need to equip my IBIS. Like Rich, I'm going to purchase my digital stuff as late as possible.

bye

Hans