• Canard Builder (plans or kit)
    • Canard Builder & Flyer
    • Canard Flyer Only (didn't build)
    • Considering Building
    • Considering buying a flying plane
    • I don't know

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys I just picked up my Q-200 kit, they lost the manuals so now I'm focusing on accumulating glass, MGS and all the other associate hardware. I'm even closer to being a builder.

-Guy

Guy, that's terrific. Now all you have to do is cut the canard in half, sweep the wings, put the engine in the back and you will have a side by side veri ez.

Will you be able to get the instruction book?

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'm new here, first time blogger,long time reader.... I am Scott, I'm in the Navy stationed near Norfolk, VA. I just purchased a set on Long EZ plans on eBay, and planning on starting the build next summer (school is priority, I'm active duty, and married) so unfortunately the pecking order follows.

I know that I plan to purchase the Eureka CNC Roncz Canard, wings, and winglets, I don't mind shelling out a little extra if they are as great quality as I've heard, and I don't think I'd call it a comprimize by doing that!

I also just joined the EAA, and I'll be looking to join one of the 3 local EAA chapters too.

So I guess this makes me a complex-endorsed, instrument-rated private pilot with plans, but not building.....no catagory there!

I started a Long-ez tub I bought from Robert and Valerie Harris in 1994. I got thru the fuselage on the gear, center section spar, canard, canopy, and misc stuff. Then a local guy in his 80's put his cosmetically challenged 0-235 Long up for sale. I bought it and sold the project plane. My buddy put a leather interior in the flying machine then I flew the heck out of it. Several job changes and moves later it had overhauled cylinders, a new paint job and numerous other upgrades that I did. Along the way I picked up another fuselage that was on the gear, (i traded a car for it!) sold that and sold the 0-235 long, and bought a previously flown 0-320 long that had been taken apart and wasn't flying. It was also cosmetically challenged. I did all the stuff to make it safe to fly. Jeff Rose ignition and engine baffles, hoses, etc, and flew it to RR from OK. I flew the heck out of that one too. Then I moved across country again and took the airplane apart for a paint and cosmetic overhaul and trailered it here. I did buy a pressure blaster that I converted into a soda blaster and I love it. What a great way to take off the old paint and primer. I wish I had that when I did the first restoration. 200 hours to sand the old finish down to the fiberglass.

Now I'm wondering why the hell I took it apart and I'm driving to RR again! Dammit!

Go with the 0320 if you have a choice. Make the nose longer to put the battery farther out for W&B. Plus it's way better looking with the long nose. And never feel bad about how it looks as long as it flies. Look closely at Burt's airplanes in the museum. They are really rough looking, but they fly!!! (Or flew, rather.) I was parked at my hometown in Minnesota and this really beautiful Long going back to Utah from Okosh pulled up next to my fugly 0-235 long. I told the gracious gent that I was embarrassed to have my airplane sitting next to such a perfect gem. He just looked at me and said "It flies doesn't it?" After that, I didn't worry so much.

One more thing, quit looking at the forums and GET BACK TO WORK!!! (Unless you need the advice.)

One more thing I did in both airplanes was put in aluminum panels. I completely ripped out the old wiring harnesses and built new ones. (I do this for a living.) I was never comfortable with the wiring in the flying planes, and one thing you will always find in many experimental airplanes is shoddy wires. Nature of the beast I guess. It always seems like an afterthought after all the airframe work is done.

I put a Dynon 10A in the 0320 but I haven't flown it with the Dynon yet.

Get help with your wires if you haven't done it before.

Hi,

I built my Long EZ N5E and have been flying it for 14yrs. trouble free. I've been collecting parts to build a Verieze and might start it this year. Right now I'm building a Wagabound.

Colin Koebel, Long EZ N5E

EAA Tech Advisor, A&P, IA

Wagabound or vegabond or is it this cool looking piper ?

post-474-141090164175_thumb.gif

Steve M. Parkins

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings from British Columbia!

I've been a canard fan for quite a while and after considering several experimental aircraft options (RV 7, CH701) I'm pretty much settled on either rehabilitating a basket case Vari-Eze or Long-Ez or trying the Open-Ez project. I have a family of four, but I have easy access to a 172, a 206, and a 337 for larger hauls.

I fly small planes commercially and am also an AME (read A&P with an IA) and have rebuilt a variety of planes including an LA-4-200 Bucaneer, a 1957 172, a Cessna 207, and a Short SC.7.

I've never worked with fibreglass before other than some vacuum bag repairs we did in school but I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I'm going to try and see if I can get a deal on some hangar space from my boss as the shop is pretty well equipped and large spaces aren't being used.

I don't plan on starting any serious construction until at least next winter so I will be lurking around this site and possibly asking some questions about how to start out.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking:

My job is programming and commissioning packaging machinery manly in the beverage industries.

I travel a lot and do have very restricted time to follow my hobby.

I work most of the time in Breweries all over the world. Don’t thing you will get a drop of beer while you are on site

Ok after the job the drinks in the brewery pub are free.

Doing this job was a big advantage for the electrics on the Aircraft I used only proximity switches and programmed my landing gear monitoring on a small LOGO control.

My cockpit is removable all connections are plugged and alterations are easy.

• 2 months later...

Currently in Air Force pilot training, probably going to fly the heavies. I have a wife and 2 small kids. I've been wanting to build a Cozy IV for a few years now, hoping to start as soon as time, finances, location, and spouse allow. Probably build a fairly standard Cozy, with a few modifications.

Although... I've had an itch recently to buy a Quickie Q1 and convert it to run on electrical power like they are doing with those electric planes recently. It's about the same hp requirement, I think that would be a lot of fun. However, I'd rather have a plane I can take my wife and/or kids in.

Lets see.. Who Are you... Isn't that a first year Psych question? "Who Are you".. That is also what the Vorlons asked.. "What do you want". That would be the shadows.. the "Who Are You" question is also the same one that Jack the Ripper kept asking while interrogating Delenn. To which, she had no satisfactory answer..

So here is my answer.. I AM YOUR WORSE NIGHTMARE.

post-25553-141090167136_thumb.jpg