Newbie Questions - Considering Building

Drech

Forgot to type in the other question I had regarding repairs.

Ideally, I'd like to buy a plane already built but am not opposed to building if need be. I'm concerned about the wing corrosion issue linked above.

From the alert on the RAF site, there's no repair procedure for this. How can I be sure a bought plane is safe if the area where the corrosion is can't be inspected, or is it always viewable?

~D

I think I read the service ceiling for these planes is around 25k feet. Is that right? If so, is a high altitude cert required to fly it or will I be able to operate it with just a private pilot's cert?

At Max. Gross Weight, it's probably closer to 20K ft. At lighter weights, it'll be somewhere between 25K and 30K ft.

With the standard Lycoming O-360, you'll never be flying anywhere near these altitudes, because it'll take you forever to get there, and you'll be slower than down low, unless you pick up a hell of a tailwind. If you use a different engine (turbo charged or otherwise), then the Service Ceiling will be different.

And no, you don't need any any special certificate to fly that high (other than an Instrument Rating, to be in Class "A" airspace), because the aircraft isn't pressurized.

....From the alert on the RAF site, there's no repair procedure for this. How can I be sure a bought plane is safe if the area where the corrosion is can't be inspected, or is it always viewable?

The wing corrosion issue listed above is only applicable to Vari-Ez's. The Long-EZE and the COZY III and IV have a completely different wing attach system which does not have the same potential problem.

If so, is a high altitude cert required to fly it or will I be able to operate it with just a private pilot's cert?

99.9 % of flight above 18,000 ft will require an IFR clearance.

Depending on winds aloft and weather, I normally fly my eastbound legs at or above FL180. Generally, I can pick up a good tail wind, and on very rare occasions, actually get into the jet stream (once in the ten years I've been flying my EZ), if it drops down low enough. These are Long cross countries, i.e. San Jose to Toledo, NON STOP, 8 - 12 hours, 9 hours is usually the average.

West bound trips will always be headwinds, so its counter-productive to go high.

Obviously, you'll need supplemental O2. ALSO, I would highly recommend an Altitude Chamber Checkout. These are FREE. The only problem is, theres no latitude in the scheduling. You submit a request, and the FAA sends you back a date and location. (You can sometimes pick a location, but normally, not the date)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

...Ideally, I'd like to buy a plane already built but am not opposed to building if need be...How can I be sure a bought plane is safe if the area where the corrosion is can't be inspected, or is it always viewable?...

If you don't build the plane then my understanding is that you don't qualify for a Repairmen's Certificate. That means you will have to find an A&P to perform work on your bird. I think you can test for this certificate, but I am not really sure.

This is always a problem when buying a used a/c. If you search the forums, I think there are some posts about someone buying an EZ that had some serious structural (construction) problems that were hidden by the seller (a new coat of paint, and lots of cleaning). The plane was eventually grounded.

If you go down that path, it is good advice to seek recommendations are enquire about the skill of the builder. Further, getting an expert on the a/c to inspect the prospect machine is really very wise. Remember that even an expert cannot examine all the hidden parts of a machine, but if the expert notices some deficiencies it may be an indication of greater troubles within.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

If you don't build the plane then my understanding is that you don't qualify for a Repairmen's Certificate. That means you will have to find an A&P to perform work on your bird.

Actually, anyone can work on the airplane. If you do not hold a Repairman's Certificate for that airplane, you can not sign off the annual inspection. This will need to be done by an A&P (& perhaps other officially initialed individuals). In some areas it can be a problem to get the sign-off.

-Norm

An alternative that I don't see mentioned to often;

If the original builder has a Repairmans Certificate, The original builder can also do the periodic inspection on that particular airframe.

Waiter

Actually, anyone can work on the airplane. If you do not hold a Repairman's Certificate for that airplane, you can not sign off the annual inspection. This will need to be done by an A&P (& perhaps other officially initialed individuals). In some areas it can be a problem to get the sign-off.

-Norm

I thought you still had to have an A&P sign-off on the annual, but the repairman was authorized to do the conditional inspection. ??

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

I thought you still had to have an A&P sign-off on the annual, but the repairman was authorized to do the conditional inspection. ??

For experimental amateur-built aircraft, ANYONE can do ANY work on the plane at ANY time. You could get any old bum off the street and have him/her replace your wing spars, if you were high on crack.

The ONLY thing that is legally restricted is the annual conditional inspection, which an A&P (does NOT have to be an IA) can do, or the person with the Repairman's Certificate can do.

You could get any old bum off the street and have him/her replace your wing spars, if you were high on crack

I don't remember giving you the name of my mechanic! :D

Waiter