New guy in Mass.

Hi everyone. Just got my plans in :D #1308. I have been reading all I can about this project and I thought i'd try it. because of my space restiction I plan to build all the indvidual parts first. then rent a bay somewhere to do final assembly. I work in construction so i get laid-off during the winter.

so I have about 4-5 month to dedicate my time to the PROJECT. I think I can build over half (1500-1800 hours) of the plane this winter. the only thing that would stop me would be cash flow.

Has anyone done the math on buying the section 1 kit compared to the chapter kits? its seems the section kit is about $2000 cheaper or is my math that bad?

Hope to write more on this project.

There certainly is a difference in price based on kit or section.

You may also be able to contact Wicks or ACS and get the 10% show special off of that. Oshkosh is on now until Monday for the special - but check prices from both suppliers for both order types.

Epoxy is not included in the kits - so you'll need to figure how much you'll need from the plans. I don't have it handy here. MGS335 is now the most common, but nitrile gloves are still highly recommended for proper protection.

Great plan - as working consistently on the project is certainly the best way to make real progress!

Regards,

/dan

/dan

Just got my plans in Posted Image #1308.

Congratulations! Your journey has officially begun.

because of my space restiction I plan to build all the indvidual parts first. then rent a bay somewhere to do final assembly.

Not a bad idea.

I work in construction so i get laid-off during the winter. so I have about 4-5 month to dedicate my time to the PROJECT. I think I can build over half (1500-1800 hours) of the plane this winter. the only thing that would stop me would be cash flow.

That's a lot of work in 5 months! Even so, I couldn't think of anything better to do with your down time. Posted Image

Has anyone done the math on buying the section 1 kit compared to the chapter kits? its seems the section kit is about $2000 cheaper or is my math that bad?

I calculate the Section 1 kit is actually $1,496 more expensive than buying by the individual chapter. Can't imagine why this would be. I attached a spreadsheet if you want to play with the numbers. I also compared with buying through Wicks Aircraft, which has a reputation of being more expensive, but giving better service than Aircraft Spruce.

I'm thoroughly confused. There may be an apples-oranges thing going on, but regardless, it should be cleared up. I'd call AS&S if you're seriously considering ordering this much all at once. I avoided this problem by ordering just a few individual chapter kits from Wicks (for chapters 4-7 "the tub"). I figure after this I'll know enough to order from wherever I like, such as http://www.discountcomposite.com/inven.html.

Hope to write more on this project.

I hope you do too. Feel free!

You may also be able to contact Wicks or ACS and get the 10% show special off of that.

Good catch Dan, I forgot about that (even though that's exactly what I did at Sun-n-Fun).

post-386-141090152519_thumb.gif

Material Costs.xls

Material Costs.csv

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV