Jon Matcho's Progress

Big Steve said:

Get a heater and force it to get warm. I have a wood stove and a Propane furnace.

I have a natural gas furnace and it takes a bunch of $ to keep my shop warm -- it's not yet insulated.

Jon Matcho said:

Only minor issue is that when I ordered chapter kits from Wicks (almost 3 years ago), they forgot to include a 1/4" x 2' x 4' piece of Last-a-Foam. We'll see how good their customer service really is when I try to explain myself. :rolleyes:

I feel like an idiot. Amazingly, I found a large box in my shop with all the foam I need to complete my fuselage. At least I never called Wicks! :o

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I took the summer off from building (have been working some to save the Defiant, VariEze, and Long-EZ plans), but last night I FINALLY cleared my work table, setup the room, and am now ready to go through all my CNC-cut boxes of wing, canard, and winglet foam from EZ AHAB.

Took quite a while just to properly identify which boxes I was going to open. Maybe tonight after my EAA chapter meeting...

I confirmed I have a full set of canard and winglet foam cores. Excellent job by Eureka CNC, considering I had him use my own different-sized-than-plans foam billets. I did a brief comparison against the plans (spar cap trough, shape, cuts, etc.) and all checked out, but will do a detailed review and post findings for these parts and the wing cores as well. So far, very good.

He sent me one of his canard cores, back in the beta stage of development, to check out since I had a set of Featherlite cores to compare them to.

His work is fantastic. I will not diss the quality of Featherlite's stuff, because theirs are very nice and the canard is now finished and hanging on my shop wall w/elevators, ready one day to be on the plane. But EZ Ahab's are great. I will be purchasing my wing and winglet cores from him for sure. He is on to something and has a lot invested in his products.

I sent the cores on to the Cozy Girrrls and I believe their response was the same.

I think he is over in Iraq or Afganistan right now.

Nice stuff!!!

Kraig

• 11 years later...

I humbly awake this old thread as I continue my progress in my 3rd workshop from where I started.  Life dealt me a few cards that I didn't play that well, but am settled in to new quarters for a few years now with plans to get things moving.

My progress is mainly around my house and workshop, which are basically the same.  I have collected too much stuff and have been consistently getting rid of it for a while now.  My house was built in the 1950s and the attached workshop was built sometime after that.  The property is a bit wet, the roof old, and the drains sometimes overflow and allow water in places it shouldn't be.  

My old website is no longer online, and I have been recording some workshop-related progress in the Blogs section here:  

Until next time...

6 hours ago, Jack F. said:

Have you done any blasting with that compressor?

No, but it can definitely handle it.  I bought it from the previous homeowner.  

When I saw I had a reply from you I expected to find a fire hazard-related comment about the bare 1/4" plywood on the walls.  In defense of that, many wood/workshops have some sort of bare wood on the wall to support attaching various mounts and hangers as needed.  Still, what are your thoughts?  

52 minutes ago, Jon Matcho said:

No, but it can definitely handle it.  I bought it from the previous homeowner.  

When I saw I had a reply from you I expected to find a fire hazard-related comment about the bare 1/4" plywood on the walls.  In defense of that, many wood/workshops have some sort of bare wood on the wall to support attaching various mounts and hangers as needed.  Still, what are your thoughts?  

That's funny. Good memory. New construction would require a one hour fire barrier between the home and the garage. Get a hard wired smoke detector in there and interconnect with the ones in the house. What you have isn't all that different than wall paneling. Work on the planes hard and sleep well. BTW, my garage (detached) has one of those vent-less blue flame wall heaters. Works like a champ!

• 2 years later...

An obstacle in my progress on my Quickie and Cozy has been building two Glasair doors for someone else. I'm sure it could have gone more quickly, but I took the long way to learn how to do it. Glasair uses premolded door shells as part of their kit, and the process for fitting the canopy, locking it in, and then sanding and filling taught me a bunch of new tricks on this 2nd door. The picture below makes it look easy. I suppose it would be if I had to do it yet again, but the hangar being ~30+ minutes away doesn't help either.

I'm nearly done, just needing some metal work and a few trips to the hangar. I am looking forward to getting this project out of my shop and promising myself I will not take on any more projects until I get one of my own done!

Filled and Sanded.jpg