Forward hinged Canopy.

John DiStefano

I know there are plans out there for this, but I had a few ideas I wanted to throw out there to get a discussion started.

I was looking at the trunk of my Dad's car the other day. It's an Infiniti G20. The only reason I mention that is if you happen to see the car you will know what I am talking about. It has what looks like a very compact hinge mechanism. The gas/air shocks are integral with the mounting bracket. It kind of has "compound" action as well. The first few inches of the trunk opening also somewhat raises the hinge action. You know what I mean? The trunk lifts up AND hinges open. The hinge itself looks like it could also very easily mount to the upper longerons on the inboard vertical surface. With the other part of the hinge bracket mounting to the bottom side of the canopy to some hardpoint or pad.

When I say "very easily", what I really mean is the bracket and the longerons surfaces sit flush. How they would physically be secured

together I am not so sure.

Another Q.. Securing the canopy closed..

Would it be best to have 1 locking mechanism on the aft portion of the canopy (near or on the drip rail) OR just use the plans locking system on both sides of the fuselage?

Any thoughts?

John,

Sounds like a very interesting idea to me. As for the locking mechanism, Greg Richter did something really nice with two trunk type latches behind the seat that grab the canopy and pull it closed. The plans latch system works, but it is very clutsy to use and doesn't allow for easy egress or extraction in emergency. I'd say, keep these issues in mind, as well as the hugh forces trying to lift the canopy in flight, and go for it.

Now get some sleep. It's 3 am for gawds sake!

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about these things in the middle of the night! :D

The Audi and BMW also have the compact hinges that don't intrude on the luggage space. The gas cylinder springs are also set to hold the trunk open, or hold it closed.

For the Locking mechanism, I'll look for a mid 90's BMW convertible in a wrecking yard. Those cars had a hoop on the edge of the top that you would grab to pull close the top the last few inches. After pulling it down, you would twist it about 45 degrees and two metal hooks would curl around the latching pins in the windsheild header locking the roof closed. Once you locked the roof with a twist of the hoop, the hoop would fold flush out of the way against the roof. I'm looking at front seat forward hinged canopy with rear seat gull wing canopy and a permanent rigid hoop in between.

See what you can think of when you hadn't started building yet! :rolleyes:

This ain't rocket surgery!

• 2 years later...

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453