What are our day jobs?

Hi,

Short introduction (haven't told before, I just came to this forum):

I am currently working as

senior software engineer / project manager at Nokia.

I can't tell much more about it except that my work somewhat

involves open source stuff.

My partner (who is also flying)

has a company which does pretty nice embedded Linux devices

based mainly on PowerPC family microprocessors. Those

would be quite suitable for EFIS systems, in the case someone

would be interested in Linux based avionics system. For more

information, have a look: http://www.katix.org

I have currently European UPL license (eligible to fly airplanes similar

to U.S. Sports Plane category) but I am going to upgrade

it to PPL in the future.

Currently I am flying TL-96 Star ( http://www.tl-ultralight.cz ),

EV-97 Eurostar and Ikarus C42. Despite of the variety of types of

aircrafts I am flying, I am currently a very low time pilot as I just

recently got the pilot's license. But that

is going to change in the near term future, as I am spending as

much time up there as possible :)

I am looking forward for someday perhaps owning a canard aircraft,

either purchased or self-built. Plans built aircraft could suit me better

than a fast build kit as the expenses would be quite much lower for

a plans built kit allthough it would consume more time and on the

other hand, I would prefer to spend more time on the air than in the

carage if possible but really, a plans built could be nicer to my bank

account (especially taking in account that I would need to pay

VAT + customs + overseas shipping expenses for a fast built kit

such as Velocity).

If there would be someone else from Finland (or nearby in Scandinavia)

and building/interested in canard aircrafts, please send me an e-mail and

tell me about your project. I would of course like to get a ride on

a such aircraft before proceeding to the decision to build.

Best Regards,

Karoliina Salminen

http://www.karoliinasalminen.com

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, looks like we'll raise the dead and keep this going...

I WAS a Supplier Development Manager for a tier 1 supplier. For all you software gurus out there (amazing how many are building canards!) in the South and West Coast, I oversee (oversaw) the antics of over 200 suppliers to my company in the automotive component manufacturing business. Prior to that I was a Program Manager and Project Engineer for a similar company. Yep, third generation chained to the Detroit road iron industry. Hmmm....I wonder if I can be a millionaire selling no money down real estate?

Any of you folks out there in the Detroit area (Mike & Mike) got any leads it would be appreciated. ;)

Hey, every cloud has a silver lining....lots of build time (and enjoying it)!

Neverquit

• 2 years later...

I am a roadway machinist for a class 1 railroad. Involved in program logic repair, heavy hydraulics, welding fab, the whole gambit. It starts around six in the morning and often lasts until 8:30 at night, four days a week.:sad:

I fly/or drive, depending on proximity to jobsite each week........gives the geese some competition in the migration game.:D

I work for a big software company (many of you probably have my software on your desktops and servers). I used to be in the R&D department, then moved to Oregon to raise my family. Switched careers. Still work for the same company, now I'm a liaison to the company for NASA and a couple of big corporations, exciting stuff.

I'm sloooooowly building my Cozy, but considering taking on a LongEZ (either already flying or finishing something) in the near future.

Ben Hallert - http://hallert.net/cozy/ - Chapter 1 - EAA Chapter#31

I am a ex tool and die maker working as a mechanic in a sugar factory.

(Keeps me in Idaho) I also do a lot of side work welding machininng and farm machinery repair. Gotta pay for the plane somehow. Here is a pic. of my first project. Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

The job that keeps me from working on my Aerocanard non-stop is one headache after another. I am a dentist with my practice limited to head, neck and facial pain. Some time ago, I wrote a book entitled TMJ Sundrome the Overlooked Diagnosis.

The aerocanard is my second homebuilt and my ninth aircraft.

Wife Linda:) is an Art Psychotherapist.

My car licence number is "HEADAKE". Linda wants to get one that says "HE GIVES ME A" ( After 40 years, I still have no idea what she is talking about!)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I'm an electrical engineer for a little product development firm outside Chicago. During the day I design circuits, PC boards, user interfaces, write software, solder, run a mill, talk with clients...anything to keep the business moving. Some day I'll turn they money they pay me to play at work into a Cozy.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

I am now currently retired.

I was Vice President Sales/ North America for Heidenhain Corporation, a German manufacturer of very precise rotary and linear encoders, CNC platforms, and ultra precise gaging.

I served on the ASME Standards Committie, B5-54, TC 56 Information technology on machine tools, B5-54 Standards for Machine Tool Accuracy.

These committies wrote the standards on how machine tool performance is defined. I was also the special projects liason between the company and our National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Member, American Society of Precision Engineers

Member, ASME.

I also consulted on precision measuring systems in the field of Astronomy, both optical and radio platforms, primary and instrument package axis postioning.

• 1 month later...

I am a Manager for Delta Air Lines and work out of the Chief Pilots office in Salt Lake city Utah. I manage 1000 based west region pilots and was transferred to SLC when the company merged the LAX and SLC operation back in July of 06. It is ironic that I am here, I am not a commercial pilot but here I am with cockpit jump seat privledges and work with all these good guys and gals. My job is really more of an HR job but I do get to listen to some pretty interesting stories. The airlines are a mess still with us in bankruptsy and talk of mergers every day. I took a 20 percent pay cut over the last two years and can barley afford gas for my Long ez. Have been thinking of selling her ( I bought from the original builder ) but hate to let her go. Looking for employment in Southern California if anyone know's of anything out there.

Jeff

Long ez N141

Ok, I'll jump in ! I just got a new job about six months back as a Florida state building inspector. Great job with all the bennies, and a free truck to drive to and from work. Very little physical labor. Bad side is and hour to and from work :irked: But it has allowed me to move forward with my building and getting parts. I just got my main spar from Dennis Oelmann, controls from CG products and will have my wing and winglet foam cores in a few weeks!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Ok, who's next????????

Press on!

Tom

"Time flys when your building"

I am now currently retired.

I was Vice President Sales/ North America for Heidenhain Corporation, a German manufacturer of very precise rotary and linear encoders, CNC platforms, and ultra precise gaging.

I served on the ASME Standards Committie, B5-54, TC 56 Information technology on machine tools, B5-54 Standards for Machine Tool Accuracy.

These committies wrote the standards on how machine tool performance is defined. I was also the special projects liason between the company and our National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Member, American Society of Precision Engineers

Member, ASME.

I also consulted on precision measuring systems in the field of Astronomy, both optical and radio platforms, primary and instrument package axis postioning.

Hey! Didn't we talk before? I used to be the senior field tech for KOMO. I used to work on the linear scales all the time! I still talk to the techs every once in awhile. Glad to see someone with your credentials and experience in this "pencil line" accuracy "hobby".

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

Hey! Didn't we talk before? I used to be the senior field tech for KOMO. I used to work on the linear scales all the time! I still talk to the techs every once in awhile. Glad to see someone with your credentials and experience in this "pencil line" accuracy "hobby".

Rick,

We probably did talk at one time or another. Florida is a long way from Komo up in Minn,Minn. What are you doing down there now.

Anyhow thanks for the compliments.

Rick Glos

Rick,

We probably did talk at one time or another. Florida is a long way from Komo up in Minn,Minn. What are you doing down there now.

Anyhow thanks for the compliments.

Rick Glos

You mean besides my marathon Cozy MK 4 project and dodging hurricanes in season? Still fixing CNC equipment. I consulted on some robotics systems for a production solid surface countertop installation as a contractor for a machine manufacturer down the street from KOMO in St Cloud, MN (Park Industries). I am still free lance and resisting the offers to be a cog in the gear as an employee of various companies in need of CNC doctors.

I probably didn't talk to you as you were in sales, but if there was any problem with any of the scales and their installation or parts, I was usually involved in it. I thought I talked to everyone there. I fought the trend to go to Fagor, which I lost.

I can still remember the tone of voice from one of the Heidenhain techs telling me I could troubleshoot the interface box if I only had a 'scope. I said "I got a Tektronix 100mhz dual trace, will that do?" .......yup! Nobody uses the old CRT scopes anymore in field service, even I broke down and bought a Fluke digital. I seldom use it in the proprietary systems I repair. It's mostly board or component replacements for the machines built since 2K. The last time I had an issue I just told the customer to call Auto-Met, they were thrilled afterward (except for the bill).

I worked for Gosiger and Jefco in Dayton OH before moving to FL in 1998. I was putting scales on knee mills when Heidenhain first discovered LEDS..:D !! I hope you're enjoying retirement and making progress on your project.

When I worked for KOMO, I did a lot of redesign engineering in the field. I can't help but to think about how I can make something work better. From my AE days at Purdue (30 years ago) I can truly say that it (the desire to make it better) has only slowed me down in finishing the airframe.

I hope that doesn't happen to you!:o

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

Scaled Composites huh?? Very nice!!

I'm a stress engineer for a Bombardier completion center near Saint Louis. My primary job is to show FAA compliance on all major modifications, repairs, and installations for Bombardier Challenger 604, 605, G5000, and 850, as well as various Falcon, Gulfstream, and LearJet aircraft.

To put this is much more simplier terms... I make sure things don't break ;)

"Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not."

--George Bernard Shaw