What are our day jobs?

Yet another thread of great interest!

Officially, I'm a systems manager - and listed in Playboy 95-2001 - well they published it - the Magazine Distributors Guide.

I design computer systems for business needs in the distribution and chemistry fields, with all their strange nuances.

An Electronics Engineer and a computer and business background, primarily I design and implement computer systems and the processes for utilizing for high availability and high throughput, high security systems.

Formerly with a stock exchange doing 10,000 transactions / minute surveillance to a much more relaxed 10,000 transactions / week of craft magazine distribution, with a stint in between with on-line offshore gambling.

Married, 2 dogs, 2 cats.

Got the aviation bug and was licensed in 1984, and started building in 2001, although I'd started looking in about 1990.

/dan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly ever post and I hope it comes out alright....

My day job is actually a day and night job...I work as a chemical plant operator for one of the numerous plants along the Houston ship channel. Been doing it for nearly 30 years. Work four days on and four days off, 12 hour shifts, but, I've been getting a lot of overtime lately.

Hope to start building one day.

David Swain

Houston, TX.

:cool:

David Swain

Watch thine airspeed, least the ground come up and smite thee.......

I think it's cool Richard Pryor is building!

I thought he was really good with Gene Wilder in the movies!

I'm sorry Richard.

I couldn't help it.

You probably never get that in real life.

Have you ever seen the movie, "Silver Streak"? It's a classic.

But then again, so is the Cozy!

Have fun building!;)

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

Looking, Thinking, Doing, the classics of the strategic process, and if you need more info than that, call me up. I have a small strategic advisory firm, with clients in financial institutions and government. On the side, I also dabble in motion pictures (producer) which was my first profession after graduate school (math), and before I studied finance and law, and became the animal I am now. Getting damn close to building, would like to find someone close by (toronto, ontario), and talk about it.

cheers

blue

Crashdog,

You may want to get with Dan Tomlinson who is a member of this forum. He is in Toronto and is well on his way into his build. He gave us a visit here in Michigan a few weeks ago. Very nice guy and a skilled builder. I am sure he would show you his project.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

I am a E-commerce Platform Engineer. Read this as I work with Unix, db2, oracle, iPlanet, SunONE, WebSphere, and other software. I make it all play nice and stay up. Developers do the front end work and make it look nice for everybody else.

Now as far as my company, just a little Internet startup known as AT&T. :thumbsup:

As far as my hobbies, Amatuer Radio, metal casting, airplane building, flying, wood working (ShopSmith! :D

Anyhoo, so much for the ballyhoo!

Siezure!

Rick Kelly-Crapse

Cozy #40

Strakes and fixing a friends Velocity.

To dream and those who dare will always lead the way.

Hey Rick! I knew cozybldr was a member, but I didn't know that was you!

Everyone, while visiting family in North Carolina, I looked Rick up and asked for a shop visit. Little did I know what I was in for -- a 2-day work/training session on all things Cozy. We did some work on his plane, and I got to use the plastic pressure laminate peel ply bagging technique :D.

At some point Rick said, "Hey, I want you to meet someone in the next hangar." Just a couple hangars down was Bruce Turrentine of www.rotaryaviation.com! Got to see the insides of several rotary engine cores and see what that was all about.

Great trip for me, with thanks to Rick!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Well I guess I should publicly join the club of Cozy building sofware developers.

I work for a small company in the industrial automation field. Actually, when I started we were part of HP, but that changed with the Agilent split.

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121

I always try to make visits worthwhile. BTW, I got see the Renesis engine that Tracy is working with. Nice. Even got to help with the weighing and finding the differences. But as I like to say, anybody is welcome if'n I know they are coming. Root beer in the fridge, and projects to do. Keeps me active. ;)

Yeah, I picked cozybldr a long time ago. Meets the 8 character limits of olden days. Easy to find me.

Got to run.

Velocity repair in progress.

Rick

To dream and those who dare will always lead the way.

Originally posted by Rui

Well I guess I should publicly join the club of Cozy building sofware developers.

I too am a Cozy-building Software Professional at Brickhouse Software, Inc. (which happens to cover all the costs to keep this food fight running.) :D

I think this Internet/Web thing filters out quite a few who might otherwise like to chime in here. Maybe you other software guys could figure out how to auto-generate a monthly newsletter from this place.

Originally posted by cozybldr

BTW, I got see the Renesis engine that Tracy is working with.

Rick, tell Bruce and Tracy to pace themselves so they have a proven Renesis kit available for me in ~6 years. :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Speaking of cncdoc, (who's he?)how's things in Wichita? I haven't been there for awhile (isn't it borderline iconoclastic building a Cozy in tin can alley?:D )

I used to live there (in Hotels) went to Beech (now Raytheon) Cessna and Boeing Vendors (Gibbs etc) and the Outback Steakhouse for dinner..:cool:

Things didn't change for a long time for GA there until the Starship and every new version of the Citation.

Glad to know there's a Boeing survivor. I cringe evertime I ride an Airbust.

As Dust says: Enjoy the build (As "Captain Ron says "I'm gonna")

Kevin (Formerly of KOMO machine ...ring a bell?)

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been involved in learning my NEW JOB..........and have missed you guys alot.

It seems they expect a lot out of an Airport Facilities Director.and here I thought I could just hang out at the Airport.

I have had classes on Pesticides, Herbicides, Zoning, P. R., Safety Procedures and Plans of Action(per FAA), F.O.D., :yikes: ..............I have been tested and probed by Doctors, and The Airport Advisory Board, not to mention the different "Pilot Clicks"..............Jeeze, retirement was great , I miss it.

The new look of the new forum here is GREAT, someone must have hired an Interior Designer.

I will be starting next week as a Volunteer Fireman.........and won't get paid any money for this, but it is part of my life...........

A few of you mentioned the personal aspects of life.... So will I

I am a Father of a beautiful daughter of 27 years and her husband is like a son, I am a Husband to her mother for the past 25 years (do NOT do the math), I am a Healer, Guide, and Teacher to any so simple as to learn or need. I stay pretty involved with several art related charities, so as to gain much needed respect from peers. oh, and I chop my own fire wood with an AX, 5-6 cords a year, but I am thinking of getting a log-splitter.

I decided to keep my Cessna 172, and will build my Cozy/JO-Z a little slower than previously thought. Perhaps I will start around June.

Later, Peace-Love-HOPE............

Joe

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am really lucky - my job is the fox in charge of the henhouse - I do the equivalent of the FAA's Sport Aviation compliance function in Australia when I am not flying the Cozy (trouble is they expect my team to do the compliance auditing for all the airways functions (ATC etc) as well, which tends to take time out from the serious sport aviation stuff).

And the cozy-3 has close to 600 hours on it now. FUNTASTIC

Tony

Cozy-3

VH-COZ

Australia

And by coincidence I'm one of the ATC that Tony picks on!

And by the way, Phil Vabre showed me his photos from YSWG and related his conversation with you Tony. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure Phil is convinced though, he still likes spamcans. The aircraft looks nice too.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

WEll, I guess I am one of the younger one here, despite another birthday yesterday (24) But during the day I am a B-52 Electronic Warfare Navigator, flying the old "Buff". Its not much of a "job" I like it too much, feels more like play thankfully. Maybe when I retire I'll get something that makes me feel like I work!!!!!! I rarely post but as far as progress goes I'm building a house this fall and I have just completed my Plane Workshop. I hope to begin full construction IN Jan '05. My vacation across the pond is going to delay it untill then! But I have decided to go with the Delta hawk 160hp. It should be interesting.

Be safe,

Jonathan Ard

Plane #1052

Sorry I'm late to the party! I've been to busy to play in the "zone".

I'm an ex-big-8/big-6/big-3 consulting partner. (Deloitte). But I left that to have some fun - I have my own consulting firm and primarily do software system design and development work. For the last six years I've been consulting to Microsoft - doing projects for the business operations side of the house. If they make me I have to do project management and strategy work - but I try to steer them toward new development projects. I love it when I can build something - especially something challenging. Building large complex systems is almost as fun as building a Cozy!

Joe Hull

Cozy Mk-IV #0991

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an E.R. nurse stationed at an F-15 base here in jolly ol' England (48th Fighter Wing). My fiance is a pharmacist and a Captain here also, and actually tolerates my hobby, mostly because she enjoyed the Cozy ride she had out at Copperstate back in 2002 and wants to fly places.

Glad to see Jonathan Ard is here in this forum. Met him out in San Antonio while he was doing navigator training at Randolph AFB. Get going, Jonathan, and I'll try to do the same. Cheers!

Terry Winnett, Capt, USAF

Cozy MkIV #792

RAF Lakenheath, U.K.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing you asked now, cause my job has 3 good reasons to be there! JUNE,JULY, and AUGUST!!

I teach high school welding,machine shop and intro into

metal tech. I LOVE IT !! I'm always in the shop!!!!

I retired from an underground coalmining career of 20+ years 3 years ago. I'm 50 ,(and surprised I made it) and now own my own hanger at the local airport! YAHOO!!

I am trying to "GIT-R-DONE" and the three months ahead will help!! N34FR --AKA-- Steve Odle