Seat Foam

I just came across this website: http://WWW.technoscout.com . THey sell what they call "The Memory Foam Ultra Mattress Topper". It looks like it might be a good source for seat cushion foam. They sell a few sizes. The twin dimensions are: Twin 72"L x 34"W x 2"D for $149. I am not at the point of upholstering my seats yet, because , well, I really don't have any seats To upholster yet. But I thought I would thow it out there for those of you who ARE about ready to. Let me know what you all think

JD

I would hazard a guess that by the time you are ready for seats, you'll be in a position to make a really well informed decision. At that point, the folks you are alluding to will probably still be there if you decide on their product. If they aren't, you will have discovered that you don't need their stuff.

I find it amusing to speculate on stuff that's way out in the future, but it's also habit forming. It's all I can do to stay even moderately focused on the task that's in front of me today.

...Destiny's Plaything...

That might be temperfoam, the top cushy layer we need for our seats, and it might a good price, we also need two other densities for comfort and real shock absorbing

For those of you who don't know, the cozy seats are not "sprung" no springs to absorb landing or turbulence, they are made from three densities of temperfoam, very dense, medium dence and cushy.

they are great, but the foam is very expensive, so this may be a good price for the cushy stuff

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• 4 years later...

I thought I'd let everyone know about a source for Confor Foam, (was Temperfoam). The vendors I checked with generally wanted $150-$160 per 1x36x80 inch sheet.

This company has it for $100 per sheet. I just had 3 sheets delivered, and it looks like the real McCoy.:

RCS (Rubberized Cypress Sponge)

301 E. Goetz Ave

Santa Anna, CA 92707

888-373-4289 Toll free

714-546-6464

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Having made thousands of landings in a glider in the U.K. (a lot off-field landings as well) I would go for this kind of product found at http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/AearoE-A-R.htm. It's probably the same as mentioned by 'Dust' in the previous post reply.

MikeD (U.K.)

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.

I thought I'd let everyone know about a source for Confor Foam, (was Temperfoam). The vendors I checked with generally wanted $150-$160 per 1x36x80 inch sheet.

This company has it for $100 per sheet. I just had 3 sheets delivered, and it looks like the real McCoy.:

RCS (Rubberized Cypress Sponge)

301 E. Goetz Ave

Santa Anna, CA 92707

888-373-4289 Toll free

714-546-6464

for only a bit over the cost of the foam Oregon Aero will build and shape the seats for you. made out of three densities and with lumbar support. they know seats.

http://www.oregonaero.com/Prlist_homebuilts.htm

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

for only a bit over the cost of the foam Oregon Aero will build and shape the seats for you. made out of three densities and with lumbar support. they know seats.

http://www.oregonaero.com/Prlist_homebuilts.htm

They do know seats. But, you have the cost wrong. They charge $342 per seat (uncovered), as compared to $75.

That $300 I mentioned if for enough foam to make 4 seats (with 3 densities).

Oregon Aero puts out a very nice product at a very nice price.

Oregon Aero Cozy seat prices, (PER SEAT):

Full Leather - @$1100

Partial Leather- @ 900

Cloth - @700

Foam Only - $342

Too rich for my blood.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

• 1 year later...

Following Jerry's lead, I bought CONFOR foam from the same place. I ordered the three different colors (pink, blue, green), but did so in 1/2" pieces, reasoning that I would be able to shape and adjust the firmness easier that way. It turns out that they basically slice a giant bun of foam to thickness when you order it, and 1" foam is EXACTLY twice the price of 1/2" foam. So, other than it being a little more work, this seems like a win. We also bought some used Acura Integra seats, and we'll be cutting up the foam for side bolsters, armrest coutour, etc. For reference the 1/2" thickness was about $52 for each color, 30" x 80"

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

If you can sculpt and build an ENTIRE PLANE out of foam...why in the world would you pay someone else to sculpt your seats out of foam.

Spray on contact cement (3M Super 77 ??) to hook the foam together. and an electric bread knife to carve it up. If you do it yourself you can make it fit your own ass. If you're me you can get your mother-in-law to sew the covers. (I'm very fortunate)

For the base layer you could use those kneeling mats they sell at Home Depot. The mattress topper foam could be the top layer, but its pretty soft. (I have 2 of these toppers) THe middle layer I don't know...but I have a foam and fabric store 5 minutes away and they will know.

I do know one thing from alot of hours on a motorcycle seat - ASSuming the seat fits your ass...harder foam will give you more support than softer foam will and you'll stay comfortable longer. Seems counterintuitive but its true.

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

If you're me you can get your mother-in-law to sew the covers. (I'm very fortunate)

If I asked my mother-in-law to sew anything, I would likeley find it hard to stand up at all becasue my a.... well you get the picture.

Good thing we have upholstery specialtist out there for our less mother-in-law friendly builders.

(Irene, I know you won't read this, and you are great, but just in case, I just won't ask you to sew anything, I promise).

If you can sculpt and build an ENTIRE PLANE out of foam...why in the world would you pay someone else to sculpt your seats out of foam.

Spray on contact cement (3M Super 77 ??) to hook the foam together. and an electric bread knife to carve it up. If you do it yourself you can make it fit your own ass. If you're me you can get your mother-in-law to sew the covers. (I'm very fortunate)

For the base layer you could use those kneeling mats they sell at Home Depot. The mattress topper foam could be the top layer, but its pretty soft. (I have 2 of these toppers) THe middle layer I don't know...but I have a foam and fabric store 5 minutes away and they will know.

I do know one thing from alot of hours on a motorcycle seat - ASSuming the seat fits your ass...harder foam will give you more support than softer foam will and you'll stay comfortable longer. Seems counterintuitive but its true.

The seat foam, in our craft, serves a further purpose than just to make our posteriors comfortable. In our planes, we are actually sitting on the top of the bottom of the fuselage. Our spine is reclined at about 45 degrees.

In a "normal" aircraft, the seats generally provide some cushioning in the event of a crash (just talking about the vertical force) and change the delta V in a positive (spelled less spinal damaging way). We don't have that option (cozy-Ezs etc I think Velo has other seats). IMVHO, the selection of foam for the seat area which supports the part that goes over the fence last and the setback area supporting the small of the back should have a mandatory viscoelastic (temper-foam type) requirement. This material, not only is comfortable but has great capacity to reduce spinal injuries. I am convinced, without statistical data--Marc-- that I would have rammed the metal rods that I have in my back (placed some years prior to my crash in my d-fly) through my eyeballs and would have, at this point been a paraplegic, were it not for the temperfoam seat cushions. As it turned out, I walked away from the crash, without a scratch or even increased pain of any kind.

Temperfoam or similar substitute definitely recommended. 4 canards up;) ;) ;) ;)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

So Rich, I only want a 1-1/2 inch to 2" max deep cushion thickness.

What do I do then? What makes up my spine friendly, cruise friendly, temperfoam, red, blue, etc sandwich?

I found this really great black 1/2 inch foam at Orchard Supply that is pretty darn dense, but very comfortable, and was thinking to maybe use that under a 1" layer of temperfoam. I was hoping that was my solution.

I originally thought about just using 3 layers [1-1/2" total] of that Orchard stuff, it is so pleasant to sit on, yet firm. I was wondering though, if I contact cemented the layers together, I would probably have to do them in the aircarft while the cement cured, because they would take a better seat shape then. They also would also probably remain somewhat that seat shape when removed out of the plane, to upholster.

That Orchard foam is also very inexpensive for the quality feel of it.

Thoughts from you Rich, & other users?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

So Rich, I only want a 1-1/2 inch to 2" max deep cushion thickness.

What do I do then? What makes up my spine friendly, cruise friendly, temperfoam, red, blue, etc sandwich?

I found this really great black 1/2 inch foam at Orchard Supply that is pretty darn dense, but very comfortable, and was thinking to maybe use that under a 1" layer of temperfoam. I was hoping that was my solution.

I originally thought about just using 3 layers [1-1/2" total] of that Orchard stuff, it is so pleasant to sit on, yet firm. I was wondering though, if I contact cemented the layers together, I would probably have to do them in the aircarft while the cement cured, because they would take a better seat shape then. They also would also probably remain somewhat that seat shape when removed out of the plane, to upholster.

That Orchard foam is also very inexpensive for the quality feel of it.

Thoughts from you Rich, & other users?

I would stick to all temper-foam. I think it is available in various densities (at least 3 or 4) all differentiated by their color. It's not the density or softness that makes temper-foam safe, but, my understanding it is the way that it compresses and spreads the load when called upon to function that makes the difference.

Use the firmest that is comfortable for your top layer. This material is temperature sensitive so when you first sit on it, it feels firm. Shortly thereafter, it conforms. One drawback is that this conformation takes a little longer on cold days. (or shorter depending on what you had for lunch):cool:

I think the best thing to do is to call the distributor. there is a guy who has sold that stuff at OSH for the last 25 years (in his booth, you throw a plaster egg on a pile of this stuff). Can't remember his name but you should be able to get it from EAA. He would probably be the best one to give you advce about which ones to use-- probably medium and soft, but perhaps hard and soft or hard and medium. He might even send you some samples that you can try.

Ok...what you say makes alot of sense. I can hardly sleep on a bed without that temper foam stuff on it anymore. I didn't really think about bash protection.

I'm thinking a layer or two of Kevlar on the bottom of the fuselage might not be a bad plan. Might keep the tree roots out of your nuts if you're sliding....

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2

Another foam source is Dynamic Systems' Sunmate foam. (www.sunmatecushions.com/) It was developed by the same people that devoped Confor Foam. Here is a nice tutorial on building motorcycle saddles that goes into foam selection. Some of the techniques will transfer over into making the seats for your bird.

Oh, btw, if you are sliding around worrying about your nads and tree roots, you probably have problems way beyond what a foam is going to be able to handle.

Carl

Another foam source is Dynamic Systems' Sunmate foam. (www.sunmatecushions.com/) It was developed by the same people that devoped Confor Foam. Here is a nice tutorial on building motorcycle saddles that goes into foam selection. Some of the techniques will transfer over into making the seats for your bird.

Oh, btw, if you are sliding around worrying about your nads and tree roots, you probably have problems way beyond what a foam is going to be able to handle.

Carl

Nuts and roots-- Sounds like a health-food salad.:P

Sunmate has similar characteristics to temperfoam. I believe, for whatever it is worth, it is not fire resistant.

If you are concerned about twiggage, why not incorporate an aluminum bottom in your seat cushion.

I can't seem to edit the original post but here are the links I left out last time.

http://www.sunmatecushions.com/sunmate.php

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/foam.html

Sunmate foam does have a fire-retardant coating that can be applied as an option.

Carl