electric in-flight adjustable prop?

tdale4

i think some are, but are afraid to speak because of problems that have ocurred with ivo props on 4 cylender AC engines, and they don't want to be told how stupid they are.

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I would like to use a CS prop, but I'm hoping a year or so from now the other shoe will drop (instead of other airplanes) and there will have been advancement made in the semi-non-FAA-certified CS prop arena.

I'd like to think that the term "experimental", referring to the Cozy, is just a technicality. When it comes to a propeller (air slicing device), I want someone else to get all the experimenting out of the way before I lash it to my backside and point myself in harm's way (anywhere from up is down). There is enough trouble with known good prop systems.

I am keeping an eye out for changes though. CS propeller equipment would complete the rotary ensemble, especially if it is as light as they say it is...

If you change your mind, it's one of the last things to do and a retrofit is not that big of a deal...

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

Trouble with CS props on pushers is the extra loads on the hub and blade base. Nobody knows for sure just HOW much more stressful it is, and it probably varies substantially from one plane to another. ALL CS props are designed for tractors, and the manufacturers who have what they feel is a stout enough design allow it to be used on pushers. I'm afraid I'll have to stay with fixed pitch for the forseeable future. Besides, I couldn't afford a CS prop even if I had a tractor.:(

...Destiny's Plaything...

• 1 year later...

My understanding is that there some laminated wood props that are "semi-constant speed". In other words, they flex to kinda sorta maintain a narrow speed range. Maybe this is something to look at?

Prince Prop did this a little. This was the best fixed pitch prop I had on my EZ, that is until an exhaust valve took off the outer 8 inches on one blade.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Lycoming running on 3 cylinders sure do shake, bad.

Cruising along at 5500 ft, Pop, mild vibration, then BANG.

Violent shaking, Pulled the power back to a very rough idle. Declared an emergency with Bay Approach (San Francisco), Advised them I had enough altitude to dead stick to Reid Hillview Airport (about 4 miles away). Turned the fuel valve OFF.

High overhead approach for a high key entry, made it at about 2,500 ft. Entered low key right on the money at 1,000 ft, Continued the turn to base, check gear down, around to final. Using the speed brake for energy. Landed a little long. Had enough energy on the roll out to clear the runway.

Stopped the plane, breathed again, Then I started shaking more violently then the plane.

Training pays off

POSTMORTEM - Big chunk missing out of the cylinder. Evidently when the valve broke, it rattled around inside the cylinder,for a couple milliseconds, punched a hole in the top of the cylinder, then went out through the exhaust pipe. The timing was absolutely perfect, as the prop blade and the valve collided. The valve won, taking off the outer 8 inches of the blade.

Damn that was a good prop. :sad:

Waiter

Cruising along at 5500 ft, Pop, mild vibration, then BANG.

Violent shaking, Pulled the power back to a very rough idle. Declared an emergency with Bay Approach (San Francisco), Advised them I had enough altitude to dead stick to Reid Hillview Airport (about 4 miles away). Turned the fuel valve OFF.

High overhead approach for a high key entry, made it at about 2,500 ft. Entered low key right on the money at 1,000 ft, Continued the turn to base, check gear down, around to final. Using the speed brake for energy. Landed a little long. Had enough energy on the roll out to clear the runway.

Stopped the plane, breathed again, Then I started shaking more violently then the plane.

Training pays off

POSTMORTEM - Big chunk missing out of the cylinder. Evidently when the valve broke, it rattled around inside the cylinder,for a couple milliseconds, punched a hole in the top of the cylinder, then went out through the exhaust pipe. The timing was absolutely perfect, as the prop blade and the valve collided. The valve won, taking off the outer 8 inches of the blade.

Damn that was a good prop. :sad:

Waiter

POS Lycoming......shoulda had a rotary :P <ducking>

I think we should qualify this -- a Lycoming running on 3.5 physical cylinders will vibrate, BUT a Lycoming firing on 3 of 4 cylinders will not vibrate.

I just wanted to be clear that a Lycoming with a dead cylinder will just be a less powerful engine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

A 3 cylinder Lycoming, with 8 inches missing off a prop blade, will shake so bad, you'll wonder how it even stays on the airplane. :scared:

Waiter

I think we should qualify this -- a Lycoming running on 3.5 physical cylinders will vibrate, BUT a Lycoming firing on 3 of 4 cylinders will not vibrate.

I just wanted to be clear that a Lycoming with a dead cylinder will just be a less powerful engine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's great - the assumptions you make, when I read that, I thought he'd lost a mag, as I was thinking, 'man it would suck to lose half of your cylinders!'....

Brett

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

What do you mean by "Using the speed brake for energy."

I arrived at High Key with more energy than I needed, so I use the drag device to get rid of that energy.

Waiter