Administration

dust

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone, I knew that my post would NOT kick anyone off as there are loads of graphics on this forum. I also didn't do an attachment, but a reference to a graphic out there on the 'net. This feature has been with us all along -- just never used. Use the IMG button in the message editor.

Regardless, this can no doubt be abused and cumbersome for everyone (not just the bandwidth challenged). I'm not sure if I'd recover from a large sized version of the infamous 'Sanding in the Nude' picture.

For the most part, I think attachments and external links are the best, but we can certainly put this to vote if need be. In the meantime, let's use only in the Coffee House.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

OK, so what if the explainations/ pictures, referred to are on a website that no longer is on the web, then we lose all of the info.

if it is here, it is here

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Originally posted by dust

I'll begin downloading the Internet into the forum database tonight. I expect that process to finish sometime in the next millenium. :D

Seriously, linking is the reason why the World Wide Web has blown everyone away. It's a beautiful thing to establish a link to another site and have the resulting information maintained independently.

Originally posted by mplafleur

I don't have a website and thus can't insert pics that way.

Mike, we can schedule an experiment in a single forum that will auto-display attached graphic files rather than requiring a link, however, I prefer the link and so this may best be left to a vote as John Slade suggested.

Originally posted by dust

OK, so what if the explainations/ pictures, referred to are on a website that no longer is on the web, then we lose all of the info.

dust

Jon, don't start sucking down all those pages just yet :)

Stuff that disappears from the web is typically still available here:

http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html

Granted, the link embedded in a forum post will be broken, but the URL can be used with the Wayback Machine to recover the old information.

Matt

Originally posted by Jon Matcho

...we can schedule an experiment in a single forum that will auto-display attached graphic files rather than requiring a link...

Never thought I'd be quoting myself, but... this turns out to be a forum-wide setting. I turned it on for a moment, and all attachments are indeed rendered in-line, but I don't particularly care for that myself.

It is possible the soon-to-be-released forum software will allow this to be turned on for an individual forum section. Will keep this in mind.

Originally posted by marbleturtle

uh... guys? Maybe you should make that point without pictures attached to your ID's. Just a thought. :D

Mr.Marble-Turtle,

I was merely stating that I wanted nothing to do with shutting any Soildiers out of the forum.( Your point does seem ironic) [is that {ironic}word used correctly]

It seems most of you guys are brilliant with Math, or computers, Or something.......

Some of us are a bit more challenged. Four years ago, the word Computer scared me to death. I have taught myself about typing and computers, just enough to be DANGEROUS I have no idea WHY and HOW all this stuff works, I am just glad it does.

abra-cadabra............make this forum pleasant...........wow it worked.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

>uh... guys? Maybe you should make that point without pictures attached to your ID's

Yea. I enjoyed that one.

>It seems most of you guys are brilliant with Math, or computers,

Don't bet on it. We're all struggling to learn something, if only humility.:D

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Four years ago, the word Computer scared me to death. I have taught myself about typing and computers, just enough to be DANGEROUS I have no idea WHY and HOW all this stuff works, I am just glad it does.

A few of us work in the IT field. Even we only know enough to be dangerous... very dangerous! :D Things change so fast, sometimes its difficult to keep up. Just when you get to grips with one technology, 5 new ones are released.

But we all have our different skills and we come here to share with one goal in mind. :)

This ain't rocket surgery!

Uh, Slader, can you remove all the pics from your web site?

Uh, I didn't think so.

One can describe all they want, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Did someone else say that? I don't want to quote without giving credit.:P

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif