Sanding and more sanding

CBarber

I think I just completed the bulk of the sanding of micro on my wings/winglets and canard. After a several weekends of hand sanding with a 55 inch permagrit bar I got the courage to use an air tool that had been in my hager (ok, garage) for years. It turned several more weeks of hand sanding into a very dusty weekend. The tool is a 15 inch by 2 1/2 inch flat shuffle sander. Wow, what a job it did to give a smooth, even, waveless finish. Now I only need to finish some with the smoother side of the long permagrit bar. Then primer.

This may be more of a coffee house topic, but I am ticlked pink to get the bulk of this done as I was starting to dread a process for the first time in my year and a half building and I just wanted to share. Now, on to cutting the control surfaces. Yahooooo.:)

All the best,

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Chris - is that an air powered linear sander? What brand/type etc?

I've been seriously considering one, but concerned that I'd have problems driving it well, as most I've seen are only about 1.5" wide.

I'm assuming you still used it like a spline sander, but with more "oomph"?

Please, tell more!

My main "concern" is unlike the USA system, my craft must be basically complete for inspection before I can fill/prime etc - so the whole plane will basically be sanded at once - and there's a LOT of surface area!

Of course, for cutting out things like control surfaces, nothing beats a Fein!

/dan

I guess it is a linier sander. My ignorace prevents me from giving the proper name. I will try to post some pix on my webpage.

The brand name is Rodac 8800 Contramatic, Made in USA. The exact deminsions are 15 5/8 inches X 2 1/2 inches. It has a handle with a palm trigger on one side and a knob on the other.

I too was VERY nervous about using a power tool and concerned about going too far. I spoke with the factory and they mentioned that when they build the fast build wings for those that want to avoid the process by spending an extra $10k, they use a very large orbital sander, but they know what they are doing....I didn't so I was very hesitant.

However, following a few weekends of filling, sanding repeat I decided to give it a try. GOOD GAWD, I wish I would have had the nerve to do so at first. It was kinda like when I first got my kit (yeah, I am a kit wienie <g>) and I was scared to death to cut into it. Now, I am somewhat cavelier about cutting, drilling, building etc.

I still go across the surface at 45 degree angles. Follow sanding using the air tool for a while, I bring out the extral long Permagrit sander to check for any irregularities (basically use it as a straight edge). So far it has been great. It also seems I was able to remove more micro while still avoiding glass. The Velocipoxy (just another name for Alphapoxy) is kinda clear when mixed with glass bubbles, so you start to see the glass weave well before you are close enough to cut into anything. Now, unlike the Cozy, the Velocity uses one layer of Triax instead of several layers of bid. The weave of the Triax is very obvious. The winglets are uni (canard is Triax with layers of uni on top) and it is still obvious though.

Now some more research on primer. Probably USPaint 545?(per Velocity recommendation) or Smoothprime.

Wait, found a few shots of me using it. Sorry they are not more tool specific.

post-306-14109015225_thumb.jpg

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

http://www.tooltopia.com/mall/more.asp?ProdID=140

For the air tool, I used 36 grit and 60 grit stick on sandpaper that I found for sanding hardwood floors. Cut to fit.

As to the 55 inch Perma-Grit bar. It was custom made to order by "Perma-Grit" for a fellow Velocity Builder, Andy Millim form Michigan. He was kind enough to send it to me to help in my build.

As always, YMMV.

All the best,

Chris

...staying away from the "administator" thread <g>

another view

post-306-141090152252_thumb.jpg

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

my other hobby, 5 nights and 1 weekend, is making furniture. in that indeaver i sand allot.

i too though of using the sander, started on the canard, that you are using, you must be a real artist with it, as i got results that were far from acceptable, that is why i brought forward the 3 day wing method.

congrats on being a master of the sander

enjoy the sand

Dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I never considered myself a artist at anything, but I am a pretty good problem solver. This worked and I am thrilled it has. I am very pleased with the results and the time saving. Of course, YMMV.:)

<<<enjoy the sand>>> Cute, very cute.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Permagrit makes a two disk set of cutting wheels that have worked great for us on cutting the windows and we will use them on the canopy, great stuff, but pricey for that long sander you have, but if it doesn't wear out then I guess that means it is cheep

enjoy the sand, i can make you an honouary dusty

Dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

I would be honored. "Dusty" is perfectly discriptive. As a matter of fact, due to dust, it is the first...well, almost the first, time SWMBO has gripped about my hanger being my garage and attached to our house via the kithen.

My long permagrit bar was sent to me by a fellow Velocity Builder, Andy Millim in Michigan. One side is 36 or 50 grit, the other side is much more fine. Not sure what grit yet. He has been very supportive and has a pretty good websight. http://www.kal-soft.com/velocity

enjoy......gee, an honorary slave :D

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

• 3 weeks later...

hay,i know something about sanders,(body man-25years)my in lineline sanders run around 250. but for 1 plane i would buy a cheeper 1 astro newmatic has a good air sander but i mite look at a orbidal in-line aposed to a staight inline..the same sand paper but much flater,and less chance of gauging ps if u go to a velco backing on the paper u can save the paper and use it later 36# grit80# 150 220 360 400 600 and so on..huchens sells the cats meow if u want to sleep with it...lol if u got a tool town in your town and the swap meets often sell tools like this for less,but u need 80 psi and at least 11 cfm most small compresors r 4.5 cfm but will do in a pinch sand than wait sand then wait 1 more thing when i sand at work there is a oppimun time to sand catalized fillers. as it drys it gose from wet to moist then soft then hard,just as it gets soft jump in and go easy dont delam it i hand sand with a long boad 36#grit just to get it very flat(a must if u want the finished wing to be wavless)then i go to a long board air (inline)and work it down a bit,and if there r no low spots i go to 80#grit, if there r i remud and start over,no sense sanding it smoth then muding it,i dont have tthe time or paper to waste well just a hint in to the auto body mind of me

Steve M. Parkins

I was into body and paint for awhile (did a few Vette clips, LOTS of fiberglass) The only problem I had with "long johns" (the long 2.5" x 16" straightline sander) and the DA (dual action 6" orbital sander) was that I really couldn't tell how the finish was until I sprayed some primer or water on the surface to minimize the dulling effects of the dust left on the part. Sometimes I was surprised at the subtle waves caused by a little too much pressure. It was good for large areas that needed more than .30" to .125" material (resin) removed. But to preserve the integrity of "flow" over large areas the staightline sander was angled and ran over the length of the area being repaired. Then there was repeat episodes of priming and blocking....

I have one and I intend to use it (later) Lots of things show up after a good layer of glossy coating (can I get an "amen" Dust?). I also remember getting in a hurry caused a lot of problems.

Did anyone see that industrial dust collector in the Harbor Freight flyer for about $129.00??

OK...I must be off...

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

aaaaamen , aaaaamen, aaaamen, amen, amen, amen read as though you are watching sidney porier singing nit.

heey, i'm not dust for nothing. In my woodworking shop i have paper to 6000 grit, probably 400 worth of paper, i like sanding. i can sand 1" maple edging flat to a 59 th inch veneer with a ra sander, without hardley sanding throu.

I can't get a surface mr barber can attain by his description, he is an artist, i tried and failed.

darn, now i ruined the search for amen

enjoy the sanding

dust

i can be reached at

• 3 weeks later...

Got to a stopping point after achieving a solid base and have moved on to cutting the airlons and rudders. I relized (after the factory mentioned it to me) that this first blush at "finishing" is NOT the time to try for perfection since much damage will be done to a perfect finish when completing subsequent task, such as cutting out the airlons and rudders. Thanks for the interest.

Should be able to install the hinges and control surfaces by this weekend. Then back to the fuselage and installing the center spar, then strakes.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...