The Right Stuff

Hi, read some of your notes in the posting and it sounds true and sound to me i'm just starting to build a cozy 4 hope is't a cheep way of geting a 4 place [me and her and 2 freinds up up and away... So now i wander what to power it with ? do'n need much, just smart safe your thoughts ?

Steve Parkins

ps ty jim Sower

Steve M. Parkins

Steve,

I was, in my own inimitable way, going to respond to your questions around what kind of engine to use with a couple of thousand words of deathless prose on the subject. I am no fan of Lycoming for a variety of very good reasons.

Anyway, there is a better way to go. To quote my friend and mentor John Slade:

The playing field is changing. My advice is get on and build the airframe and give little thought to which engine will power it until the last possible minute. In 3, 4 or 5 years the situation will have changed. That much is certain.

Perhaps rotary and/or subaru powerplants will have proven themselves. Perhaps not. There might be a reasonably priced diesel available (dont hold your breath). Perhaps insurance will be easier, or harder to get. Maybe the available fuels and/or prices will have changed.

To anyone just getting started I say don't even think about it. Keep in touch with what's going on, but save you're decision until you're airframe is complete..... then examine the issues as they stand at that time with respect to performance history, cost, insurability etc. etc.

I belong to the Cozy email list, this forum, the Rotary list and (until I settled on Mazda) the Subaru list. If you follow the Cozy list and this forum, you will get tons of information on engines while you're building your airframe. Take it all in, but don't take any of it too seriously. Again, quoting Dr. Slade:

Four or five years from now, you will make a very well informed decision around which engine you are going to install in your Cozy. That decision will be rational and astute and based at least 80% on information that won't exist for another two or three years.

To quote another respected contributor:

Enjoy the build!

Getting worked up about engines at this stage of the game is an exercise in mental masturbation.

If you really really feel you need all that prose, let me know and I'll work someting up and send it offline. These guys have heard most of it and a lot of it is in the archives anyway.

Best,

Jim S.

...Destiny's Plaything...

Originally posted by steve

... just starting to build a cozy 4 hope is't a cheep way of geting a 4 place [me and her and 2 freinds up up and awaaaay...

Cozy is IMO the very best airplane you can build. ...up up and awaaaay! might turn a little bit on how far awaaaay you're talking about. It's a good way to go with me and my lady and (maybe) a couple of small kids. Don't know what you and yours weigh. You've got maybe 1000 lbs tops for payload, and a full bag of fuel is 300. 700 lbs split 4 ways (5 if you count luggage) and you might have to short load fuel. But don't worry - I can count on my fingers the times I've heard of anyone on a Cozy list or the Velocity list discuss cross countrys with 4 adults. It has a nice ring to it, but just doesn't occur in nature. It is most certainly doable, but stuff works a lot better with just the two of you. Four adults on a local (200 mi radius) sight seeing trip would work great. For extended vacations you'd have to be really good friends.:P

That said, Cozy is still far and away the best deal you can get in a homebuilt, and a homebuilt is easily the best deal you can get in GA.

Go for it !!!

...Destiny's Plaything...

Hey Steve,

Good points by Jim, John, & Mike, (All were Quoted). I have been researching building a Cozy for about one year now, and have just bought the plans.

I too am looking into engines as we speak (type on the keyboard).

I have a friend at our local airport, ex-fighterpilot, and airport administrator, that is building a Glasair or Glastar. He is nearly finished with everything but the engine, and still has not made up his mind, on Engine Type. He told me to do the same, as these guys in here are saying...............Build............ when it is time to put the engine in, you will make the right decision.

I do have a bit different aproach than many builders.............I think everyone should do their "homework", if you will, and research everything from tip to toe. So, I do not think it "Getting worked up" I think it is brilliant to think ahead...........that said, I agree do not get "Worked up over it".

Besides a person has to do something when they are not building, why not research.

:D

as for my plans, I have taken a few years off from work, to build this Cozy Mark IV FULL-TIME and hope to be ready for an engine within a year.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

I too am a big research fan. With the internet it is great.

But it is not for everyone.

If you want to research, then do it. But dont avoid building because you are researching or afraid of what you dont know. Follow the plans. Building is way better than any other activity for getting the plane done.

And then you can change it all you want.

Originally posted by Jim Sower

Steve,

I was, in my own inimitable way, going to respond to your questions around what kind of engine to use with a couple of thousand words of deathless prose on the subject. I am no fan of Lycoming for a variety of very good reasons.

Anyway, there is a better way to go. To quote my friend and mentor John Slade:

The playing field is changing. My advice is get on and build the airframe and give little thought to which engine will power it until the last possible minute. In 3, 4 or 5 years the situation will have changed. That much is certain.

Perhaps rotary and/or subaru powerplants will have proven themselves. Perhaps not. There might be a reasonably priced diesel available (dont hold your breath). Perhaps insurance will be easier, or harder to get. Maybe the available fuels and/or prices will have changed.

To anyone just getting started I say don't even think about it. Keep in touch with what's going on, but save you're decision until you're airframe is complete..... then examine the issues as they stand at that time with respect to performance history, cost, insurability etc. etc.

I belong to the Cozy email list, this forum, the Rotary list and (until I settled on Mazda) the Subaru list. If you follow the Cozy list and this forum, you will get tons of information on engines while you're building your airframe. Take it all in, but don't take any of it too seriously. Again, quoting Dr. Slade:

Four or five years from now, you will make a very well informed decision around which engine you are going to install in your Cozy. That decision will be rational and astute and based at least 80% on information that won't exist for another two or three years.

To quote another respected contributor:

Enjoy the build!

Getting worked up about engines at this stage of the game is an exercise in mental masturbation.

If you really really feel you need all that prose, let me know and I'll work someting up and send it offline. These guys have heard most of it and a lot of it is in the archives anyway.

Best,

Jim S.

Steve M. Parkins

Wow ...TY jim and all, just biting my nails waiting for the mail (plane)'s to get here so i can start. i'v waited 44 years to do this...Tap,Tap,Tap u know the drill. i held off building for 10 years so i could finish 634 case's of bud..lol so its been pepsi for 3 years and a good old buddy named Bill W.

I got a 95 saturn engen siting on the floor of the shop with 40K on it and can get the car and that for 800.00 (??????)

i start on the 42" x 15 ' table sat. ty all for the imputt on the shop top, door est..and ps...i'll keep asking dumb stuff till i get the build started becase then i wont have the time to ask dumb stuff. so bere with the new kid (me) I JUST LOVE reading all your replies u all have so much to tell me..

ty, Steve M. Parkins

Steve M. Parkins

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard, posting can be b#gger eh?

One thing is for sure, we all agree to disagree as to which engine to choose.

Nat clearly states in the plans that the Cozy is not the plane to start experimenting with engines in, use a Piper Cub.

Unfortunately my Cub is away having new leather seats, tinted windows and plasma injection engine installed, so I will have to take my chances:D

Using the Lycoming IO -360, as per plans, is one option. I personaly can't afford one, can't afford to run one, and wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it, which is about to where my big toe is.

Dust is using a turbocharged Continental 360, with a constant propeller and U- bute injection. That plane will hammer along!

Jim and John ( sorry anyone else I've forgotten) are using Mazda rotaries, which have very few moving parts, and are light weight. Don't ask me how it works.

The Subaru's are flat fours and sixes, so fit nicely in the cowl, don't know anyone trying it here.

GM, Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota all offer engines that could be used, but you'll be flying solo here.

Lastly come the diesels, my weapon of choice, Helge in Denmark is installing a Volvo 5 cylinder, and I have decided on a ridiculous V10. Diesels offer fantastic fuel consumption, run on cheap Jet fuel or diesel, have no ignition system, and the decider for me, a low volatility fuel source, you can stub a cigarrette out in a pool of diesel, no dramas.

Whilst others reccommend charging straight in, I like to use

The 7 P's

Proper

Planning and

Preparation

Prevents

P/ss

Poor

Performance

:D

or maybe I'm just lazy

The Coconut King

Ok so i get it i just need a rotry chevy that runs on water,has 12 pistons and can be had at any 7/11 mabe i'll just keed reading on it and go build the thing for year or so...5 hours a day for a year and a half.....or so. smp

Steve M. Parkins