Buying Cozy Plans

macleodm3

Wow!

I was checking out the new postings on this forum last night, and my wife came in and starting asking where to buy Cozy plans. My pulse doubled. I brought her to the ACS web page. She then went on to say that since I'm so interested in the Cozy that she would like to order me a set for my birthday (Feb 25)! Talk about a great surprise! I've been talking about it for about 1.5 years now, and checking emails/forums almost daily. After we have talked to respected family and friends about the plane, she believes it would be fun to build the plane. One problem... no building in our house. Another stipulation: she gets to help build but doesn't have to fly in it unless she gets more used to (enjoys) flying. It would definately be great if we both worked on it. And flew in it! So.. should I go ahead and get the plans while the window of opportunity is here, and then build the shop? No attic, extra bedroom, or basement is available and I don't think we should build away from home (at least not the startup build chapters). My vote is now, but what are the drawbacks of having the plans sit around while I build the shop. Could be next year before starting on the plane. Budget is the biggest bottleneck for now. I have read the posts on reading the plans completely before building. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by macleodm3

So.. should I go ahead and get the plans while the window of opportunity is here, and then build the shop? No attic, extra bedroom, or basement is available and I don't think we should build away from home (at least not the startup build chapters).

I say go for it. Shell out the $500 and spend many a night updating the plans with the corrections from the newsletters and reading ahead.

Go crazy and get the 'practice kit' from Aircraft Spruce -- you can "build" that in your kitchen. Speaking of ACS, get catalogs from Aircraft Spruce and Wicks and spend months planning your first order.

Visit a few projects to get a feel for what you're getting into.

This was about the order I did things. I'm in the same boat of working to establish a good building area while I read the plans. I have no regrets at all and continue to be dead set on flying a Cozy that I will eventually build.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

Now - start building

would you expect me to say anything else

enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Congratulations, Andrew.

You just became a member of the Cozy club.

I say get the plans while the getting's good.

Do you have a 30 * 15 space available in you're back yard?

If so, talk to Jerry Schnieder's. He has a "tent" workshop in his back yard. Perfect for someone without a big garage and much cheaper than building something, and you can sell it to another builder when done.

It takes a while to "get you're head" around the plans, so a bit of advanced reading can only help. As Jon suggested, go visit a few projects. Take you're wife with you. Introduce her to other builder spouses whenever you get the chance. The excitement is infectious. Get her to try the plane on for size. It sounds like Turtle's having some problems in that dept. My suggestion would be to involve her in the project any way you can. Otherwsie there is a danger of AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce) :)

For example, one evening my wife was working late on the computer. I brought in an 1 * 1 * 8 inch block of walnut and asked her to hold it. I drew around her fingers and went back outside. A couple of hours later I returned with a partially carved stick. She tested the grip and I made a few adjustments. By the end of the evening we had a perfect fit for HER hand. The stick is now glossed with bartop polyurathane and mounted in the right side of the plane with a transmit button and a top hat trim switch.

Since you're in VA, contact Wayne Hicks - he's on here somewhere. Someone might even let you help with some layups and show you a few tricks. Much better than reading plans and watching videos.

Enjoy the dream. Get started on making real airplane parts (bulkheads) as soon as possible. Don't wait for the conditions and the workshop to be perfect. Just dive in. Make em on plastic in you're living room if you have to, but get STARTED. The ONLY think I regret about this project is that I didnt start it sooner.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Mike, I was hoping you would say build now... it assures me that the sun will probably rise tomorrow. Everything is normal.

John, good ideas to include the family... I may try to look up Jim Sower for a family visit. My parents live in Morristown, TN, (kinda close to Jim's) and I'm 2 hrs from them.

MT...I know you have the abilities to "work out the kinks"

Jon... Thanks for taking over the forum. I hope everyone has equal access.... good luck

Its tough to get a building space here the Steep mountains of far southwest Virginia. I MEAN STEEP. We have a 30x25 level portion of yard and the rest is a slope. The flat area is for Andrea (1.5 yrs old) and her swingset/toys (more important than a shop/tent). My plans are to build a "deck" next to the driveway... one side @ ground level and 24' away will be 12' off the ground. This will be the base for the tent/cheap carport with walls/or stick built walls with roof. I will do the visiting, rough river, and a couple small building things, but I have agreed to not build in the house. If I build the "deck" correctly, it will hold more than enough weight. And when we're done I'll work on cars in it (yes, a wooden elevated garage with no concrete... Just good engineering (I hope).

Will the new plans come with actual newsletters or do we need to use the electronic versions on Marc Zeitlin's webpage? (Which I appreciate by the way)

Andrew Anunson

Careful how much you read, it can intimidate you. Just remember, thousands have gone before you with less knowledge

don't you have a basement, house rules are the home is the wife's and the basement is yours. the epoxy has NO odor at all, but the bondo you accasionally use does

enjoy the build

mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

I got my plans for Christmas. Planning, cleaning the garage, getting the hot box, all the little things before the big start. I'm with the others. Get some temporary shelter and start. My plans came with the required newsletters, but those were from Nat, not ACS. So... Enjoy the process and great to hear your wife will be involved. I'm hoping I can get mine out there helping too.

As far as a basement goes... well its only around 3 ft high down there with dirt floors. But plenty of square footage. I wonder if anyone has ever built in a 36" crawl space? I'm sure I could set some records with that one! The original owners of our house opted for living space instead of a basement. The soil isn't too deep here on the side of our mountain and many homes have a slab or crawlspace. Our attic could be a 10' by 40' space but its full of rafters and braces. I thought about removing the braces, but then one big snow could get me into some serious trouble. No easy soutions, and I HATE excuses... but it ain't worth moving to a new house either. Or is IT? :rolleyes: There is a turnaround up in the woods about 80 ft from the house and the neighbor would let me use the land and its LEVEL too! We'll work it out. Roanoke ain't too far, we'll be by sooner or later. Andy

Andrew Anunson

I think you get the past newsletters from Spruce. Please let us know if you don't. Also, I'd be interested to know if Wicks are still listed in the plans as an authorized supplier.

There is a turnaround up in the woods about 80 ft from the house and the neighbor would let me use the land and its LEVEL too!

There you go! Recruit the neighbor to help while you're at it.

The other builder near you that you should probably visit is Greg Richter. He built a Cozy III with turbo mazda engine. He's just about done with the installation of a jet engine. Greg is President of Blue Mountain avionics. http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/greg/aircraft.html

From 18 months of research into the Cozy, I think you need just one thing

DEDICATION

after that everyhting else looks a cynch

I'm making tentative plans to move into an extinct volcano, somewhere in the South Pacific, and beginning construction of "The Beast".

Best of Luck

Adam

:D

The Coconut King

Well, we'll get started here real soon, with some sort of tree house or something suspended from the trees. I am not now concerned about when to get the plans. We'll get them by end of Feb., have fun looking over and updating them, and continue on. Dedication will be the deciding factor as was stated. I agree with you No4, if the rest of these nuts can do it, so can we.

Andrew Anunson

Well, an option is a trailer! A construction/office type trailer is 10-12 feet wide, and a 24 or 36 foot would work well. It could be possibly "installed" down the sloped area, and would be plenty big (even a 18') for much of it.

I'm in a 18x19 tent and for some I'd prefer a trailer! It would be easier to heat! It's currently -5F an hour north of Buffalo.

/dan

/dan

Not a bad idea Dan, we really don't have any zoning here. I could pick up a used trailer for $500 to $1000 with its own heat and A/C. Might look a little trashy, but who cares? A 16' x 30' would be a nice quick shop. Any more unusual ideas floating around...?

Andrew Anunson

There's an idea Dan.... Maybe I should have thought of it before I built my shop... But I like my shop (not quite finished yet, but on Monday I had a radiant heater put in and it is so nice in there now) and I'm glad I built it before I started. I know everybody says START NOW, anywhere you can find, but I'm the type who likes to have things "right". I know for sure that if I would have started in "sub-standard" conditions I would have gotten frustrated and probably quit soon after I started. Nothing frustrates me more than knowing that there is a better/easier way, but being forced to put up with something inferior.

Come to think of it thats the big reason why I'm building a Cozy. I couldn't stand the fact that I'd have to pay HUGE money for a certified plane or rental of a plane thats older than me when I knew that there is a better solution available.

Anyway, one of the big reasons why we moved to an acrage last year was so that I could build the plane (buying an acrage was in our long term plans, the plane just accelerated things). So if you aren't happy where you live, then I would consider moving and taking the plane build into consideration when you buy the new place.

I bought my plans about this time last year and have read the first 7-8 chapters at least 10 times, and the whole thing 2-3 times. I think its great having them around while you set things up. Gives you more incentive to get started....

I guess in the end it comes to knowing what type of person you are. I'd say if you have been looking into this for 1.5 years (I'd been looking into this for at least 2 years before I bought the plans) you are serious about building and have the dedication/desire to see it done.

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121

Well.......friday Jan. 23, 2004, I went flying in my C 172, got back home around dark..........and......................I ORDERED MY COZY MARK IV PLANS......................... I AM IN

I can't wait for them to arrive.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Ok, so I bought the plans.

Joe with a somewhat puzzeled look on his face asks:

"I guess I will not know the plans number until they arrive???????"

closes one eye,contorts lips and asks another question:

" I hear about people reserving Tail Numbers. How is that done??????":confused:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

The plans number is printed on the plans.

Choose your reg number here: http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/acmain.htm

Then see this link to reserve it: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraft.asp#SpecialN-Number

Note: Pick a number that's easy to say. I reserved my initials for 4 years, then dumped the number because Juliet Sierra is a mouthful.

just a note to all..ok i'v looked at the plane seen the depo in the old fullerton store got the video bought the tee shirt.

so the plans will be in my hands in T- 5 days so i'mm seting up the shop, i got 30x14 and a 20x9 and a 20x9 or 20x20 if i move a wall (10 min)so 30x14 and 20x20 any help?

Steve M. Parkins

30x14, you can set up plane with both wings on in a week or two when you get there. You won't need that much room for a while so waiting to move that wall wont be a problem if it only takes 10 minuites

I would build the work table 12'x42", wider than42" is just too wide and everything will fit nicely on the 42. 12' would have been great, we had to extend ours (10') for the canards.

See the post on minimum tools and the one on reasons not to build or go in the shop

Enjoy the build

Mike

i can be reached at

Well, 20x20 is almost perfect from what I've done as long as you can have a large (12+ foot) door. You need to get the plane out a few times. My shop is 18x19 and a couple extra feet would be great. I have the plane with spar on and can have the canard on, with the 12' x 36" table, and still move around somewhat. Of course, only 2-3 people can comfortably be in the space like that.

14x30+ is great for fully assembled, but another couple feed on width for fully assembled to be able to move around - but that would be rare.

The big thing will be heating - which is more economical. Almost everything until the spar mating or canard fitting (chap 12 and 19) would work nicely - in fact, with the 2 20x9 spaces divided, I could easily see building in that space, for the first couple years! Most everything is long and thin - dust built in the basement!

Congratulations on the start!

/dan

Shoot, missed that, the duble car and the 30x15 has only 8 foot doors

if i header the 2 car and remove the center i can get it out, right ? [400.00 in glue lam ] what a pain. but i'm ok for now ? i need all my money to get the first chuck so i can start the thing got a clue on the min...start up cost will be ? i got every tool known to man and some i'll never use. ty for the help.

Steve M. Parkins

Steve M. Parkins