nothing fancing, just plane day

For all of those thinking of coming to plane day, cmon down, we are getting closer and closer to being done with the fabrication and the work we are doing now covers a whole range of skills.

fabricating insides of strakes

glassing the outside of strakes

installing hard points

thin micro, thick micro, flox, filling pores, 5 min sheets together, taping joints, making flanges, installing flanges, curving foam for strakes, good easy stuff and encompasses almost all of the fabricating work to be done on a cozy.

Drive, fly or walk in.

we need "plane days" from coast to coast, what ever continent your coast to coast is on.

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/

612-722-0065

1-800-4WENTWORTH - 800-493-6896

i just dialed the 800 number and they answerred, i deal with dave, first class every time

called them and they said the phones have been a problem lately

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

Here's a typical plane day.

Dave is working on metal parts. Thane is working on the right strake, I'm taking pictures, Dmchaplin is taking notes to take back to Indiana, Dan came in from Toronto and is making tapes, but where is dust?

Hmmm, he must be out smoking another cigarette. he he he

post-349-141090152352_thumb.jpg

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

I knew it....I knew it......I knew it, I sensed it, with all that is me, I wanted to say something to you the first time we spoke, I should have.

GIVE THEM SOB"s up................You owe it to those you love, Brother.

This may not sound like LOVE, but I assure you it is. From the heart, Keepin it REAL.

You will NOT beleive the Power inside you that you are missing out on.

I quit after 20 some odd years.....3 packs a day.

.........and don't be givin me none of that "There's nothing worse than a quiter $hit"..........

:cool: Joe:cool:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Originally posted by Joe Patterson

...and don't be givin me none of that "There's nothing worse than a quiter $hit"...

He can't, Joe. At least not in GA. 5 years after I quit they gave me this nice laminated certificate that entitles me to get all righteous about smoking with anyone, anywhere, at any time.:P

...Destiny's Plaything...

This plane day was really special to us as not only did we have drew from the forum drive 4 hours to be here and mike, now a cerified builder needing to start on his plane parts, but we had dan from this forum, who is about as far along as we are, stop by for the day to help with the build.

he is from toronto and had to be 1 hour away on saturday, so, down he came. Really fun to have another builder there and it was also great as he was able to see the set up for the 3rd strake, which he has not done yet, well, i mean not strake 1 and 2 for him.

thanks allot guys, plane day is this saturday and we will

flange strake 3, roughly fit and layup strake 3 top and glass outside top of strake 2

and ???

damn i forgot about clifford, he is in the corner makin metal parts and installing them, hey, makr metal parts and install them, the choice is youses

remember, i have three guest rooms, spelled adult children that have long ago moved out, fly to metro or flint or troy oakland and i'll pick you up, drive, bus or walk to my home friday night, go to plane day, spend the night saturday and leave on sunday

just don't leave home without epoxy cloths

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at

I really must say "dust's" plane-day is a great event to get familiar with the process of making writing in a manual become airplane parts! And working with experienced builders like these makes the whole learning process very stress-free!

To anyone who hasn't done it, making airplane parts seems really scary - but after the first few, that feeling does go away! Then the excitement of actually building settles in and you can't wait for your next "fix"!

A great way to try it is to meet up with someone already building, and actually build a part.

My reasons weren't to see if I can build a part - I'm just a bit behind them on airframe, and a little ahead on systems (book 2), but I'll catch up quickly when the weather improves (I hope). But - I still learned a few new things, and got to know even more builders who are very down to earth and committed to enjoying the build process!

Would I go again? Certainly - next time I'm in the area when schedules match! And, I send out an invitation to them and others to visit my project too, as there's always something to do! Find a project in your area and adopt it if you need to!

Thanks for a great day - and we'll talk soon...

/dan

HOLY COW THAT WAS FUN!!!!!! :)

Let's see where do I start. Oh Ya, I got up on time and Dust slept threw the alarm this time! Dust that's payback for telling the world I'm did that LAST TIME!

We had a total ball this past plane day. Everybody got on the bandwagon and this was Dust week to get picked on for smoking. It was amazing, Dust could just look at Dan and could tell he needed a smoke. So off the two of them went. Most of the time it went like this.

"Drew, sand this part here until it fits. Dan you look bad, you need a smoke. Let's go!" :)

I was really impressed with how much we got done. Especially since fitting the first strake rib took a while, but finally fit fine.

I really liked working with Dan. He was able to add a couple more things to my bag of tricks to help down the road. I know he even learned a lot, even as far along as he is.

But the real story is what the three musketeers have been doing to years. Please invite someone into your shops!!! You can start by inviting me, I'll even drive crazy distances. An extra hand is always useful and there are a lot of people out there who are a little scared of starting. (I AM/Was one of them) I now have one huge advantage over many of the current and future builders. I was able to learn on someone else's plane and know I'm doing it correct! I'm learning that the learning curve on these airplanes is not a steep one, but yet it's still a little nerve racking. The whole crew up there has not only made it easy, but a BLAST.

Ok enough about the plane day commercial.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Here's Dust making a small adjustment to strake Rib R33.

Here how dust makes the parts with a template. First he makes a template from Luan. Then clamps this to the oversized fiberglass part. (Forget about making the layup the correct size or shape, just make is bigger than needed). Now use the router to cut the piece to shape.

Email Dust about specifics on the router bits. I'm telling you, this turns out wonderful plane parts that are Dead Nuts perfect (Dust's Words)

post-336-141090152358_thumb.jpg

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Even though Dust called in sick for Plane Day, he at least sent a replacement!! Dmchaplin(Drew) drove up from Indiana and took his place!! Though only threee of us worked today, alot got done!! Flanges were installed on the strake bulkheads, fuel level sending probes were installed and bent to fit, fuel return and vent lines installed, inside side of the top strake skin was glassed, and the pilots side side controls were installed. Not a bad day after all. We have gotten spoiled by having extra hands show up! :)

post-140-14109015238_thumb.jpg

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656