Measurements (ie Garage Door)

Joe Patterson

Hey Folks,

I am wanting to buy some plans for a Cozy Mark IV, and have been taking measurements trying to figure out where to build it/her.

My garage door is only 6'11" high. Will I be able to get the fuselage under/through that to transport to airfield when completed?

I have noticed the height being given for the Cozy is 7'9".

Thanks, Joe Spirit.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Joe,

I am in the same situation as you. About to buy plans and begin, need to take care of a few "housekeeping" items first... finish build out of cellar and shed, relocate an incredible amount of junk from garage to shed, then begin. Maybe a month or three away from start.

From all that I have seen and read, the garage should be fine. Unless you have a very nice three car garage with no support columns, I don't imagine you will actually complete and attach the wings inside it. I believe the 7'8" height is the top of the winglets, so it shouldn't be an issue. Of course I have no real clue what I am talking about. :)

Stewart

Stew Joslin

Coventry, Connecticut

Plans #1287

I really do need a bit of expert advice(Builders-Marc,Chris,John,etc.)

I live HIGH in the Rocky Mtns. (Elev.8560 Feet) , On the hottest day of summer temperatures do not reach 80 degrees..........I must build inside.

What is the height of the fuselage,Cozy Mark IV .........Will it roll out of my garage, if door is only 6'11"????

I am serious about building, Just need to get an idea of where to build.

Also..........I would love to visit someone with a Cozy project, I would also love a ride in one.

I have worked in the manufacturing Industry(Electrical/Electronics), and home remodeling..( I have cleaned, sanded, and painted more surfaces than most people have looked at)I have good skills. I am for the most part retired and 42 years old(plenty of time on my hands).

What Do YOU Want?

The problem generaly encountered is Width, not height.

Thanks Prime, for the "getback".

Hmmm,.............I understand the fuse is 12 feet wide(Strakes)?

I have been reading everthing I can find about canards and Cozy's for the last 7 months.............I feel really good and ready.........Send me the plans............Fire up the heaters.

Stewart......Good luck

I am in the same situation as you. About to buy plans and begin, need to take care of a few "housekeeping" items first

I could not have said it more eloquently.

Actually I might have said something like, " I 've got to get a bunch of &%@#*#!@ $#it out of the way first, then maybe I will have enough room. And I must sell my Sweet dear Baby 41E(1959 Cessna 172 Straight Tail)

Joe Spirit

post-458-14109015197_thumb.jpg

What Do YOU Want?

Originally posted by NativeSpirit

What is the height of the fuselage,Cozy Mark IV .........Will it roll out of my garage, if door is only 6'11"????

While the winglets are about 7 1/2 feet tall, as LP says, the wings come off. You do want to make sure that you have the height available inside the garage, though, so that you can mount at least one wing/winglet at a time and work on it.

The fuselage on gear is about 5 ft tall or so (not 4 ft.) so that won't be a problem either. As you surmise, the width __is__ an issue. If you have doublewide doors, you're fine. If you have single doors, getting in and out after you put the strakes on is a pain. If the diagonal distance is more than about 11.5 ft., it's doable with a substantial amount of finagling and twisting - if not, you'll have to tear the garage apart, or build somewhere else. You need to bring it out and back in twice to flip it over, and then out one more time, so the "tearing apart" must be repeatable.

Originally posted by NativeSpirit Also..........I would love to visit someone with a Cozy project, I would also love a ride in one.

There are at least two builders and one flying COZY MKIV in New Mexico. AFAIK, none of them hang out on this list. If you're interested in contacting them, drop me an email and I'll put you in touch.

Joe,

There is a Cozy flying out of Double Eagle near ABQ. There is a fairly new builder in Durango CO and I'm in Denver if you ever get up this way. I'd gladly give you the tour and let you get your hands dirty a bit.

How's the snow in the TSV?

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

Originally posted by NativeSpirit

Hey Folks,

I am wanting to buy some plans for a Cozy Mark IV, and have been taking measurements trying to figure out where to build it/her.

My garage door is only 6'11" high. Will I be able to get the fuselage under/through that to transport to airfield when completed?

I have noticed the height being given for the Cozy is 7'9".

Thanks, Joe Spirit.

Have a look at Jannie versfeld's website (Chapter 25). He has some very interesting photographs where his plane is fully assembled in a double garage. Wings are sticking out both sides

http://qmain.tripod.com/new_page_25.htm

Well, you can start off in a 8x14 room, and make it to probable chap 14.

the fuselodge is surprising small, without the strakes/canopy and landing gear.

The name of the game is progress, the garage will fit, will you finish, start building and you will look for solutions, not problems. You can do it.

enjoy the build

Mike

look at our plane raising thread and see how we squeezed 2 in the basement

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I just looked through the "Plane Raising" thread...................Well Done

I was thinking when I started this thread, that if I can't get it out of my Garage.......I would just make a new and Bigger door.....

There should be no walls, no stops, no obstacles to finishing.

I feel I am in good company...........

What Do YOU Want?