For guests

I see guests trying to do all kinds of things that only members can do

we should post a list of these things so they can see the benifits of joining or they just simply don't waste thier time trying to do things that a guest can't do

enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

These 'guests' may not actually be humans. I'm online right now with 2 named members, and 5 guests. I took a closer look at the IP addresses for these so called guests, and find that they're definitely not human. They are Yahoo search engines at work, banging around places where they can't go, looking for keywords, etc.

Jon #1185

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Well, tried to use 10 search engines to duplicate effect, couldn't.

Had a feeling allot of the "guests" were not real, as daily one was registering and the newest member wouldn't change.

Also they were "stuck" in stupid places.

I wonder if the software updates will solve this problem?

enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Yeah, these search 'bots' are rather dumb, but much smarter and friendlier than a spam program. Regardless, if it were possible to kick them off, I'm not sure I'd want to. After all, we do want to have our little spot on the Internet found by those interested, don't we?

Originally posted by dust

...tried to use 10 search engines to duplicate effect, couldn't

To be precise, they are properly known as web crawlers rather than search engines. Search engines work off of previously found information, continuously collected by these web crawlers. This is how they immediately retrieve a bagillion links -- by searching a local database.

Entering 'canard forum' into a search engine will not immediately result in a Guest, however it might queue up work for a web crawler to connect with the search criteria for future requests.

The value of my point here? Perhaps none.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV