Cozy Going to Aircraft Spruce

Although I'm glad to hear the plans will go on selling, I am a bit apprehensive about what will happen to the other critical ingredients to building a plane, namely: builder support, the newsletter, and the website/database that Marc Zeitlin maintains.

Does anyone have any comments?

Rob

Rob Schaum

Avid COZY admirer and eventual builder in MI

Nat will continue to sell plans until January. He also mentioned at the Cozy dinner that he is aware of previous problems between Cozy builders and A.S.& S. He seems comfortable with the internal changes going on at A.S.& S. and feels that service will be better.

I don't see how anyone though could prevent Wick's from selling the raw materials we need.

The biggest question I have, I didn't think of until the drive home from the show... what about the newsletter?

This ain't rocket surgery!

Why would prices go up? The materials you buy for the Cozy are available from Wicks as well, not to mention that the parts are not specific to the Cozy in any way. Foam is foam, glass is glass, bolts are bolts. Everyone needs the hardware.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about AS&S becoming a monopoly. Builder support will continue. Marc has made it clear he is going to continue the mailing list and there are plenty of builders to get help from.

Buy the plans and start building. You won't regret it.

Enjoy

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

This is what I remember of the Cozy Forum at this past OSH.

1)Nat said that he would continue to do the newsletter and provide builder support as long as he is able to do so.

2)He also stated that ASS, oops, AS&S and Wicks usually work together; case in point, the only spar cap tape machine is owned by AS&S, but they also supply it to Wicks. That should indicate that all materials will be available from both sources.

3)It seems that Nat is considering his advancing years and wants to ensure that the Cozy will be available to those who desire it, even after he passes (which doesn't seem soon, for he's kicking well for someone near 80)

Those are some of the highlights about the transfer of ownership. If anyone else at the forum has anything else for this topic, or would like to correct my recollections, please pipe up.

Terry Winnett

MkIV #792

San Antonio>England next month

Terry Winnett, Capt, USAF

Cozy MkIV #792

RAF Lakenheath, U.K.

Well, it's been two weeks. I wondered when you cozy guys would start talking about this. I was at the forum, and you could have heard a pin drop after the announcement.

You can order the plans from ACS$S, in the new catalog that I picked up at oshkosh they are already listed.

There is so much builder support and technical information available from different sources that I sometimes wonder how anyone has time to build or fly. All you have to do is look for it.

Richard Schubert

"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

JFK

I just scanned the new AS&S and the Wicks catalogs. The prices for the chapter kits are quite a bit cheaper at Wicks. Wicks lists each individual part, AS&S doesn't. Wicks clearly states that epoxy is extra, AS&S doesn't say either way.

I placed a large order with Wicks during Oshkosh. I found out that they actively monitor the quarterly newsletter from Nat and update their kits based on plans changes. I do not know whether AS&S did/does this. Among other things I ordered the chapter 16 kit. My 2002 Wicks catalog still had both the MM-3 and some MM-4 (pre plans change). To my surprise (and joy) I found out during my order that the 2003 catalog correctly shows no MM-3 rodends - only the newly correct MM-4 rod ends.

FYI

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

I wonder if there are provisions to prevent Aircraft Spruce from trying to become the sole supplier of materials/parts?

I hope so. Otherwise they could bundle the plans with parts as a kit to cut out other suppliers. The other problem I forsee is the rights to the Cozy name.

If I were considering the Cozy I'd buy plans before the change of ownership takes place in January '04.

I'm glad mine's finished. (almost).

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net