Coolant for auto conversions

TES111

I recently replaced the water pump in my volvo. One week later the replacement pump failed. No problem I'll just take it back and get another one. So went back to my auto supply store and got another pump. Two weeks later and the damn thing failed again. Went to volvo this time and got a brand new pump and replaced it for a third time. Pump worked great. Hose failure this time. I know that they recomend replacing all the radiator hoses but I did not do this as my car only had 100k miles on it. Sound like alot of miles? My Volvo prior to this one had 300k with no problems. So I replaced my hoses on my radiator as recomened as well as replacing the thermostat. This time the heater core hose burst. These hoses were not recomended to be replaced and the guy at the Volvo dealer parts counter was shocked that this one had failed. Needless to say I had to replace the heater core hoses as well. Total antifreeze; about ten containers worth. I replaced my wifes water pump on her car and no problems at all. My point being is that this sort of problem is ok when your on the ground. Little disconcerting, but never the less you can get home eventually with a little sweat equity. What happens when your at 15k feet? Are there metal tubes to replace typical rubber hoses for auto conversions? Do the rubber hoses expand at altitude like the patatoe chip bags did on your last commercial flight? Does this cause them to burst prematurly? I have kicked around the idea of a mazda engine but have really been turned off buy this experience. Do the rotary engines do well with out coolant? Will it run long enough to get you down safely?

To replace ever hose on your volvo with stainless steel braided lines and fittings (literaly bullet proof) is an option open too you.

I would thing SS braided lines and fittings would be strongly recomended on a flying rotary. In a flying machine it would seem the extra cost becomes trivial.

It is relativly simple to make a bullet proof automotive engine because so many others have gone before you.

Actrually marble it was two cheap pumps from an auto store vs. oem, new pump from volvo. And the reson the hoses kept failing was because the new pump had a much higher output than the old pump (due to wear on the impeller and bearing on the shaft of the old pump). The old heater hoses could not withstand the higher presure.

TES111

BTW marble if you ever need a slave/helper im in atlanta and would love to help/learn alittle before I start my cozy

Stainless Steel hoses weigh a LOT. More than rubber ones. Mabe you should put Nitros boost on that Turbo. Just to get all that exta weight off the ground. Have you thought about a 15 pound CQR to throw out to aid in braking? It gets real easy to put a lot of weight on a bird. I know, I have. Then you have to put your bird on a diet to save weight for the little womans stuff. :D

If the phone don't ring. It's me

Sorry... still on Ch.1 p.1. I may be there until we get moved into a new home. I bought the plans a little early when I got wind of Nat leaving the plans business. Turns out he was just turning it over to A.S.& S. I may go ahead and do the bulkheads next month, but that would be about it.

This ain't rocket surgery!

Since you said thank you i did a quick google to get some pics of what i was talking about and to give some real info on this item

http://www.paragonperformance.com/

http://turbonation.com/installed.htm

http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/prodinfo.html

http://www.ramchargers.com/aeroquip/

search was google "Stainless steel braided coolant"