Honda TCM engines

Honda has ended it's development of an aircraft engine in collaboration with Continental. But where this news item came from I can't find again. However, if Honda gets into this field with an autogas/100LL fueled aircraft engine, we should be all the better for it. I'm driving a 1987 Honda Accord with an engine that has 225,000 miles without any major work done. Only alternator and water pump has been replaced. It's about the equivalent of 2,000 hours. It's still running fine. Go to http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/030304_tcm_honda.html for more info and picture.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

The last AOPA eHotline email noted the Honda aircraft engine will be 225 hp flat 4 opposed cylinder, weigh 310-lbs, 40:60 water:coolant mix, and use auto or 100LL AVgas. In development for 3 years, production plans will announced late this year.

:)

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

• 4 months later...

The January 2004 issue of Kitplanes has a nice article on the 225 hp 370 cubic-inch 4 cylinder Honda aircraft engine. Honda and Continental have spend a couple years in development, but still remain closed mouth about when it will start production. Judging from his enthusiasm in the article and by his own admittance, he, John M. Larsen, is ready to buy one. He's very impressed with an engine that can produce 225 hp on 92 octane unleaded gas. Kitplanes magazine should still be in the newstands/bookstores. Whenever I get started on a Cozy, it will hopefully be there for me to buy by the time I finish it.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Long dead is my best guess. I have a feeling that the HondaJet is the fruition of the aviation efforts of Soirchiro's company. That's completely unsubstantiated however, so feel free to prove me completely wrong. I'd love to have an H badge on my (future) Cozy, along with all the land vehicles my family owns.

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

The guys at www.vestav8.com have a Honda option. They used to have a lot of details about it on their website, but have removed mention of it recently. They also provide a Chevy Corvette option.

I am in no way affiliated with them.

I plan to procrastinate, but not now....

My grey cells have turned to mush so I cannot remember who I talked to, "someone who knew someone on the inside". Anyway they said it was a painful process to watch; Honda wanted Conti to build this engine to their specs. The problem was a combination of culture clash, engineering arrogance and naivety about aircraft engines.

Mind you I felt that if anybody could do it "right" it would have been Honda but I suspect they want to do it like all of their brilliant car and MC engines and the Conti engineers are still yearning for another John Deere revival model.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

suspect they want to do it like all of their brilliant car and MC engines and the Conti engineers are still yearning for another John Deere revival model.

Never has anyone so succinctly summarized to me the difference between modern automotive IC engines and their literally vintage AC counterparts.

Hopefully someday we'll see things like a Honda AC engine and a revival of the promise (not the strange implementation) of something like the Porsche effort of the mid 80s.

I feel in this case they both equally carry the burden of failure; Honda has a lot to learn about aircraft engine, Continental has a lot to learn.

I don't pretend otherwise, but if the automotive technology can be adapted, and the expected benefits (efficiency, emissions, reliability, power density) garnered, I think it'll be a thing of beauty.