Wax paper

dust

In the beginning we used wax paper for our bench layups and taping. Our tech advisor didn't like it and if you left the layup on the wax paper long enough it started to disolve.

I then went to a butcher supply and bought 18" x 1100 (foot or yard) freezer wax paper on a large roll for 38.00.

It is called waxed by the butcher supply because it once was but is no longer. one side has a very thin plastic coating and it works great. Clifford even found a holder/cutter for 5 bucks at a garage sale.

No one in our shop would ever use it upside down:p , but i think if you did happen to, by mistake, that it still peels off the layup just fine, it just took, i mean it would take a little extra epoxy to wet out the paper which turns dark, i mean would probably turn dark if you ever happened to see it done, not that it ever happened in our shop.

We write up the number of layers and types of cloth with marker, draw the layup, put the grain orientation in the drawing, cut the glass a little oversized and then cut through the paper and glass once it is laid up one layer at a time.

Enjoy the build

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

What's wrong with using 4mil clear plastic? Do the layup on it, use on top to aid in squeeging the layup. I've used this since I learned it and wouldn't dream of doing a layup without it. No pin holes, no air in the layup, lighter parts, easier bonding prep... the list of advantages goes on. Description of this technique is in my web site tips & tricks section.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

We did try this early in the build but did not care for it that much. Plastic does not want to conform to compound curves very well and if there is a crease or fold in the plastic you end up with a pool of epoxy in the void. I think we only tried this one day, then dropped it and reverted to the peel ply or nothing.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Perhaps you shouldn't have given up so easily. Just like laying a basic layup, it takes a little experimentation to get the technique down. The plastic can be made to conform to compound curves by cutting it into strips. The folds mostly go away when you squeege with a hair drier. It's not perfect for every layup, granted, but it's an excellent option. I really think anyone building a composite plan should try it for a while.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net