Mixing Cups

My understanding is that a plain paper 8 ounce cup, no wax or other coatings, is the best choice for mixing epoxy prior to use.

I understand that they are available from the normal suppliers, but I would think I should be able to find a local source. Problem is that I have been unsble to locate any. I have tried Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Ace Hardware, paint supply stores, commercial paper suppliers and almost anyone that sells paper products of any kind and the answer is HUH? Seems plastic or foam cups are the norm for hot/cold liquids. All of the paper cups I have found are coated. I cannot find a local supplier for the type menttioned in the plans - Lily 8SN1

Perhaps I have misread or misunderstood, so hopefully someone can help. Do I need to worry if the cup is coated? Is a plastic coating OK? Is wax OK? Does anyone know of a normal outlet for a plain paper uncoated cup? What is everyone using to hold the epoxy out of the pump?

Thanks for the info.

Darrell

Wax is supposed to be bad as it can contaminate the epoxy. Don't used waxed paper either - use 4mil plastic.

I just buy big sleeves of the paper cups from Wicks as needed. I've never tried to locate them locally.

Not sure if plastic cups are OK or not. I don't know of a problem but I don't know for a fact that they are OK either.

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

Plastic cups are perfectly fine for mixing. We get ours from Gordans Food Service. These are non coated. They are the plastic containers you get from the deli. They come in various sizes. Before we started building I searched for an alternate supplier other than Wicks, ect,,. The plastic cups are a tenth the cost of paper, both from aircraft suppliers and food service suppliers. Get your tounge depressors from a medical supplier and specify Non Sterilized.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Thanks for the input Clifford. We used paper and plastic when I work at the fiberglass plant in the '80s.

I have a discount card for GFS for 10% off.

Too bad you can't get resin and glass there.:D

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

We use two different sizes: 16 oz. Pro-Kal PK16S-C for regular mixing for lay ups, micro, ect,,at about $3.50 per 50 cups, and then 3-1/4 oz SOLO P325 cups for up to two pump mixes at about $3.75 for 200 cups. Thane provides our toungue depressors,,,I hope they have not been used first!!

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

I used the 9 ounce plastic cups from Walmart or Sam's Club. The brand I currently have is from Praire Packaging, model 9-C. They are clear PETE, about 2.25 diameter at the bottom, 3.75 diameter top, 3 inches tall. They work real nice with the paint mixer that I use for mixing resin. Popsicle sticks also work, but not as fast.

The biggest I ever mixed was in a 32 ounce uberBigGulp cup from 7-11. Used that a couple times on the wing layups. But most of the time was done using the 9 ounce cups.

For mixing dabs of 5 min epoxy I picked up used communion cups from church. Rinsed them out, and they work nice for about a teaspoon (or less) of 5 minute.

For mixing the West system filler, I used a 5 gallon pail with a drywall paddle. Much easier than the superfill stuff that I did. But you gotta be fast with getting it spread out!

Regards-

Norm

• 2 weeks later...