Mufflers

I haven't read much discussion about mufflers. Anyone using them or worried about noise abatement? I've read one builder's comment on another Forum that he doesn't like noisy engines. Does a muffler affect performance? I know this might be a laughable concern if you co-exist with jet aircraft, but how about inflight in the cabin? Just curious.

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161

Most generic mufflers will rob an engine of horsepower and performance. Notable exceptions are the expensive powerflow tuned exhaust pipe and muffler systems. As for noise, keep in mind that at cruise speeds the propeller is the primary noise generator, not the engine.

I think the reasons we don't install mufflers on homebuilts are (1) added weight, (2) no room under the cowls, and (3) power loss.

Our pushers are arguably quieter because (4) the engine/prop are in back, not in front, and (5) the fiberglass and foam absorb sound and vibration somewhat better than metal planes.

All that being said, most GA airplanes -- homebuilt or spamcan, muffler or no muffler -- are still far too noisy to fly without headsets. A good set of active noise reducing headsets will quiet any one of these planes.

So my opinion--> Good ANR headsets are far cheaper than muffler systems.

=============

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Most generic mufflers will rob an engine of horsepower and performance. Notable exceptions are the expensive powerflow tuned exhaust pipe and muffler systems. As for noise, keep in mind that at cruise speeds the propeller is the primary noise generator, not the engine.

I think the reasons we don't install mufflers on homebuilts are (1) added weight, (2) no room under the cowls, and (3) power loss.

Our pushers are arguably quieter because (4) the engine/prop are in back, not in front, and (5) the fiberglass and foam absorb sound and vibration somewhat better than metal planes.

All that being said, most GA airplanes -- homebuilt or spamcan, muffler or no muffler -- are still far too noisy to fly without headsets. A good set of active noise reducing headsets will quiet any one of these planes.

So my opinion--> Good ANR headsets are far cheaper than muffler systems.

=============

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Thanks Wayne for your comments. I've just ordered an ANR headset. Being a novice, I'm repeatedly surprised by the high cost of all aspects of flying. My choice was dictated by cost over need. In a few years when I hopefully will be flying my own Cozy, my choice may be perfectly fine. While I'm learning with a front engine Cessna 152, I hope it will be adequate.

GregL

GregL

Cozy IV Plans #1161