Possibly needing a bench front seat

codensr

Looking over my Cozy plans while waiting for supplies to start the project. There seems to be a strong possibility that I may not fit in the airplane! There has been a lot of talk about tall people but my problem is diferent. I'am 5'11''tall but my posterior needs a minum of 17''. The plans show 16 3/4'' cleaarance between arm rest & center section. There appears to be some additional room as the armrest curve inward at the lower level about 45 degrees. I'am trying to figure out if a bench seat would work better for my purposes? I recall John Slade writing something regarding a simular problem with a passenger. Just wondering if John has completed this mod and how it worked out? Any input on my problem would be appreciated. Perhaps I could loose some weight while building the project, weigh in at 200 lbs!:P Chuck

CODEN SR, Builder MK IV #1146

Hi Chuck,

Yes, my passenger found that the hips were trapped between the side armrest and the console, cutting off blood supply. So I changed things around a bit. I think you need the heat duct for structure, and you need about an inch above this for wires and cables. I don't have the manual speed brake, so I don't need the big curved center console. But I do need an armrest for my right arm. Initially I built the console straight back from the throttle quadrant, but that was too narrow at the hips for anyone large in that area. The center console is at the uphostery shop right now, so I cant take pictures. Should have it back next week, then I'll post pictures in Chapter 26 of my web site.

Basically I angled the console down behind the throttle quadrant then ran it back to the seat back 3/4 inches above the heat duct. Note that this will impact the plans fuel valve if you install it. I didnt. (well I did, then I removed it - but thats another story - see Chapter 21). I then made a removable armrest that hooks into the map pocket and rests on the center console. I'll remove this when I have a large passenger.

You can probably shave 1/4 inch off the width of the side armrests before impacting the torque tubes, but I didnt want to rebuild the armrests at this stage.

Another issue to keep in mind is that the seats (I used temperfoam) lift you up an inch or two from the floor, so the widest part of you're as is higher than you might think. Part of problem is that you need a place for the top of you're thighs to "overflow".

Some have widened the fuselage to allow more space, but I wanted to keep it plans width to minimize drag and allow as much air to the prop as possible.

You might want to try sitting in a finished Cozy before you make you're bulkheads. Hope this helps.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck and others,

Last weekend Jim Sower visited and sat in my airplane. He's 6 ft 3in and 260lbs.

Perhaps you can get him to tell you his precise dimensions privately. :D

Anyway, there are two pictures of Jim sitting in my Cozy with the canopy closed at http://kgarden.com/cozy/chap27.htm

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Hello John,

Just wanted to say thanks for your input and advise on the Cozy front seat. Think modification of the center console & arm rest was a outstanding idea. Certainly encouraged my perspective on the project.

The pictures of Jim Sower and the move to the airport were most interesting and appreciated. I'am sure you were elated with this step.

Thanks

Chuck

CODEN SR, Builder MK IV #1146

Have you had a chance to try one on for size?

I was over 250lbs at 6' tall when I tried and was surprised that I actually fit. I'm down 30lbs now so I assume the fit will improve with diet. As Nat told me, "your too fat... loose weight. If you can't through dieting, you'll certainly loose it building a Cozy!"

Forget Atkins, I'm gonna build a Cozy! :D

This ain't rocket surgery!

<... Forget Atkins, I'm gonna build a Cozy ...>

Actually, I think you can have it both ways. I must have sweated off AT LEAST 10-15 lbs the five days I was at John's working on my door. It's not as easy to get as skinny as fast in central TN as in S FL, but I'm confident that it's doable.

Going for the easy "Magnum Tub" mods just as a hedge .... Jim S.

...Destiny's Plaything...

You're in central TN? My farm in 45 min south of Nashville! (I don't live at the farm, but close is relative!) John's site said you were planning to start building a Cozy to replace the Long and the Velo... is that still your plan? It would be great to have a builder at the same stages close by! Going to Oshkosh?

:D

This ain't rocket surgery!

<... You're in central TN ...>

Yes. Crossville to be exact. About 3 mi ATCF from the airport. I can't walk to the hangar but I can easily ride a bike. Used to be nearly an hour drive. Velocity is back flying. I'm on the right side of the line. Life is good.

...Destiny's Plaything...