Sticky Stuff Dispaenser & MSG335

I have yet to move either the resin or hardner to the containers mounted on the Sticky Stuff dispenser. Can you put the resin/hardner into the pump's containers, cover with the covers supplied and leave it or should it be used in a specific period of time? In the jar it was delivered in, the resin shows a self life of 1 year. Could it in theory sit in the pump containers this long?

Also, the directions show a pump setting of 2.52" (distance) for the recommended 100:45 (by volume) ratio. Does anyone know just how critical this dimension is to the ratio? Seems to be a stretch to believe one could measure to the hundredth of an inch on the device.

Thanks

Darrell

Darrell

Re: putting the MGS into the dispenser

I wouldnt open the sealed factory containers until you're ready to use the stuff, then just fill the containers 1/3 full and keep the rest in the factory containers. The hardener tends to cystalize after a week or so when exposed to air. Once the hardener is in the pump, always keep the top on tight. Also, try laying a plastic bag on the surface to keep the air out - just be sure it doesnt foul the inlet. There's quite a bit of discussion about this problem, and how to avoid it, in the archives (see Rick Maddy's search engine in my web site links). Crystallization isnt a problem with regular usage, and if it happens the hardener can be restored by warming it up.

My pump has a fixed ratio. Best way to measure the ratio if its adjustable is to pump quite a bit into two cups (resin into one, hardener into another) then use a scale to weight the cups. Remove the weight of an empty cup, then compare the ratio to the by weight ratio recommended.

By the way, we Cozy builders measure to three decimal places on a couple of things. All with a standard tape measure.:rolleyes:

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Thanks John. I'll look up Rick's info and take your advice on limiting the time the epoxy is in the containers.

And I'll look again at my tape measure. Three decimal places is pretty impressive. May take a while and a good set of glasses to reach that standard!

Darrell

You're welcome, Darrell

I think it's the distance from wingtip to spar that we measure to .001 inches. By the time you get there, you've learned to say "It'll do" on a fairly regular basis.

By the way. When answering a question it often helps to know if/what someone is building/flying and what stage they're at. I checked you're profile and saw that you're building a Cozy. If you put this info in the profile to replace "building status unknown" it will help people to target the info they provide.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

• 4 years later...

Hi I am looking to buy a "Sticky Stuff Model A" dispenser for a low viscosity application.

Before I buy, Can one of you give me some pros and cons of this dispenser? It looks great. The application could become semi continuous. Using a static mixer, can I easily pump in a relatively continuous way?

Thanks