Plans vrs kit

dust

• 1 month later...

Yep, more evidance of, but not proof of anything except, IMHO, the fact that some folks take a really long time to build a home built, kit or planes. But it is nice to have more info for referrance.

I met a guy at SWRFI in New Braunfel, TX that built his in a year. He did not give me a time breakdown but he was retired.

No augument, the initial cost of the Velocity is more (heck, I am waiting for a client check to clear so I can spend $11K for my wings/canard...I got the last Velocity with a split kit option).

However, I can only presume there are some Cozy builders that are taking a lot of time as well. I have about 400 hrs (one year) and $20k (including tools etc) in my project so far. I expect/hope to get it in the air for around $50k. Of course I am opting for a Mazda Rotary (like Mr. Slade.....except I hope the Renesis will be available by the time I need it and prices will continue to drop on kewl electronic things for the panel). I am curious as to what the $90.000 included. New engine, full EFIS panel?? I Donno.

I have some clients building a Lancair Legacy who seem to be taking forever. They are very stereotypicle engineers....they really are Rocket Scientist (husband and wife working for NASA). They are miticulous. I am safe, I hope, but not as exacting as they are. Their shop/hanger never seems to get messy! As a matter of fact I am hosting the EAA chapter meeting at my place on the 13, they are coming and bringing another Rocket Scientist who is building a Velo and Jim Voss, the astrounaut who has a long EZ. Now I have pressure. I am accutley aware of every spill and drop of epoxy on my project and garage floor. It was one thing for "the" Gary Hunter (my EAA inspector) to inspect my work and give it a thumbs up (his quoate "you are obviously very consciencious"....maybe he just meant heavy <g>), it is quite another for these guys to inpect it <g>

Ops, back on task. Kit or plans is still a personal choice. Now that I have more skills in fiberglass I would be more willing to take oun a plans built, however, for me, I am very happy with my choice and I think I am making pretty good progress.

BTW, did you see this guys plane? Was it nice?

FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

My choice of the plans built Cozy was a no brainer after following the numerous kit manufacturer's that have come and gone over the last 10 years, some of which were deeply entrenched and well established. Way too many kit builders have been left with partial kits when these company's folded and no where to turn for the completion kits. Cbarber would be in deep trouble if he orders and pays 11K for his wing cores then days later Velocity aircraft closes its doors for financial problems. No thank you! And if anyone doesn't think this would ever happen to the kit manufacturer they are dealing with, ask those who where left in the dark when established company's such as Glassair folded. If I ever build a kit aircraft, I will be sure to buy and have everthing delivered in one shipment, that way if they close their doors, I at least have the components needed to complete the plane. The arguement over what takes longer to build is pretty much limited to how much time you want to put into you plane whether its a kit or plans built. I'm sure a Velocity can be built in as many hours as a Cozy and vice-versa.:o

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

The Velo looked nice, but I did not take a peek inside so I can't say how it was instrumented. I was on my way elsewhere.

My post was just to show another data point and not I do not know where it lies within the data set.

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif