Prefab runners from Paul Lamar

Hey John,

How did those prefab runners work out for you?

If your still having problems I have an article from Contact Magazine showing how to make composite intake manifolds from carbon fiber and epoxy. Aaron has also identified some high temp epoxy which you could use to enhance the composite part with for probable 13b temps.

It would also be a significant reduction in weight.

Nathan

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

It's still utested. The DeraKane is tricky stuff. it's pre-promoted, and I've been having trouble getting working times longer than 20 minutes or so, thats a little short considering I'm winding carbon tow by hand...

Oh yeah, I have about 6 pounds of carbon tow (Hexcel 12K) if anyone's interested in playing around with it.

Actually this individual just used the regular BID and epoxy. In the article he states that he had seen no degradation over two years. The author stated that the expense of carbon fiber was not justified in this installation.

His was using a Subaru Legacy.

It looked fairly simple and he also provided personal information if anyone wants to contact him.

I highly recomend the Contact Books Vol 1 and Vol 2. They involve numerous auto coversions and provide detaile information in some of the articles.

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

>How did those prefab runners work out for you?

They're gonna be just fine. Modifying the cast manifold for the third gen isnt much of a problem either. I prefer the idea of an aluminum intake system with the turbo. I decided to have the guys at japtrix (see japtrix.com) do my final engine setup and configuration. They're working on the intake right now while I finish off the wiring for the coils & injectors.

Just out of interest, I was looking at a 700HP alchohol fueled drag racing buggy they built, and we got talking about alternative fuels. They think they could get a 13B to run on diesel/jet A. It would need glow plugs to get the intake heat up for starting, and direct injection, but they say it could be done. Interesting! Maybe I'll have them make me a spare engine once this one is up & running.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

I have been searching for technical articles on the heavy fuel conversion for the wankel, but have been unable to find much other than marketing literature. I am interested to hear that a high performance shop thinks that the conversion is pretty simple. I would be interested to hear more about this, John

cheers

blue

They didn't say it would be simple - just that it "could be done".

If any progress is made on this I'll announce it here. Right now I'm focused on getting a gasoline rotary running.

Thanks for the smartplug link, John. According to them it's already been done (A diesel wankle, that is). See their web page http://www.smartplugs.com/engines/rotary/singlerotary.htm

From the picture it looks like it could be a cut down 13B engine.

If someone wants to follow this up, I'd be interested in what you find out.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net