The Wife

TES111

Just remind her of the unpleasantness of driving long distances. and she'll come around. I figured that we make the round trip from Texas to the west coast several times annually. 36 hours one way on average, about a hundred dollars on gas, and another 50 or so on food, plus hotel fare at least once, more if I don't push it too hard or get a late start one morning. Don't forget the screaming kid, traffic annoyances, and arriving tired and dirty. Once I pointed it out to her she started coming up with reasons of her own, and before long she was pushing me to get started.

I know not everyone can be as fortunate to have their significant other as excited about the project as mine, but if you can get yours behind you on the project, it makes a world of difference, believe me.

All those backrubs are well worth it. Take a massage class if necessary. You'll not regret it.

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

We live in Virginia. When it's cold and yucky outside, I always remind her that Florida is only 3 hours away!

Realistically, try this. The price for rental airplanes is going up every day. In six years, you could have paid off and built your own speedster for what you would have paid in rental fees for someone else's junk.

And if all else fails, try this. When a husband builds an airplane, there are only two places he can be.

1. At home in the garage (building the plane)

2. At the airport (building the plane)

..Wayne Hicks

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Take her to the Sundial on top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza. If at the end of the meal she doesn't agree, jump up and down in the glass elevator on the ride down the outside of the building until she relents.

This works particularly well if your wife is afraid of heights! Mine is. :D

This ain't rocket surgery!

I dont think throwing a temper tantrum in an elevator is the solution She'll only ask "Is this how you would act in the plane". :D In all seriousness shes not against me building the plane. After I explained to her that the cost of the build would be roughly 60k (on the high side)and the resale would be over 100k, she realized that spending 70k on a 1978 Cessna 172 with a waggaly front wheel was not the best option. :cool: The Cozy would be new, fast and very sexy. :rolleyes: Not to mention Grand Bahams is in reach. :cool:

Don't forget about the cost to maintain an airplane. Being experimental, we get to do all that ourselves. And if you get the repairman's certificate, you get to do the conditional inspections too. That's huge compared to paying an A&P and an AI to do the same things.

...Wayne Hicks

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Dear TES111:

Your question, "how does one obtain the repairman's certificate", is a timely question. This same topic was recetnly addressed by the Cozy email group. I'll answer your question by posting from an article writeen by Ron Alexander.

Ron says:

"....a condition inspection is required every 12 calendar months on amateur-built aircraft. <snip> The inspection can be performed by any licensed A & P mechanic, an FAA Approved Repair Station, or by the builder of the airplane provided the builder obtains a "Repairman's Certificate" from the FAA. FAA Advisory Circular 65-23A is available for information concerning application and privileges of this certificate. In short, the primary builder of the airplane is eligible to apply for this certificate which then permits inspection of the airplane and a logbook endorsement of the condition check. It is noteworthy that the primary builder must be one person. If a group of people builds an airplane, only one can be designated as the primary builder. In addition, the issuance of the repairman's certificate only applies to the one airplane that has been built by the primary builder and no other airplane regardless of same type, etc.."

Hope this answers your question. One opinion though. Some DARs (the person who "inspects" your plane prior to first flight) in some areas of this great country of ours are more stringent in requiring "some proof" that you did most of the work on the plane. (Or at the least, some proof that your are competent on all areas of construction required to put the plane together.) It's a good idea to keep a builder's log. Take some pictures of you doing the work!

....Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Depends on the definition of 50%. For example, Nathan just bought a partially complete Aerocanard. From the pictures it looks almost done. I'd be willing to bet he can qualify as a 51% builder by the time he's done the finishing, controls, engine, avionics, etc. This one area where the 90% done, 90% to do saying comes in handy.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net