Brice Daunay's Viper Mazda engine photos

filipo

I don't give a cr*p about that....look at the torque line! DEAD FLAT!

so! what do you think he is going to do with it? put on slicks and go drag racing. what the heck does torque mean to an airplane? not to may standing starts in airplane racing. Look at how it flys. its a rocket. big fat one, but a rocket. its HP you need. not torque

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

that would depend on which model it is. the last one we did was $2500 for the core, $6500 for the parts and we assembled it in a day. like any rebuild it is all in knowing where to get the right parts at the best price. now it is good for 2000 hours and nothing about it is experimental. that brings a lot of piece of mind something a rotary will never do.

The details of John's blown turbo rebuild can be found (in his own words) here:

http://forum.canardaviation.com/showpost.php?p=26987&postcount=2

The most interesting part of the post is where he speaks of flying it home.

Zoom, zoom!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Why are you limiting a N/A rotary to 140 to 150 hp? It is my understanding (after much research and building and running two 13b's, trashing one as part of the learing curve etc...but, alas, not either one to flight) that the N/A in the car was about 160 hp for the second gen and that was with a lot of smog emission stuff on it etc and no porting. I am suprised by the notion that removing "car stuff" and porting would make the rated car hp go down.

I understand that most my information is from somewhat limited sources, but Tracy Crook, who does have a vested interest and bias, seems to think he is getting closer to 180 plus in his current (actuall previous two rotor 2nd gen, meaning I think a lot of his published info is for the 2nd gen and not the Renesis he is now running) install.

The race crowd (yeah, not always transferable to aviation) seems to get 200 hp or so with a mild street port and the conventional wisdom is that is without a sacrafice to base engine reliability. As has been stated much of the problems with the rotary, as well as most/all alternative engines is the extra stuff you need (can't spell perifiel <sp>?) like alternators, cooling, PSRU etc. Even if you do not get this somewhat (or maybe wild ass opptomistic) lofty hp, it would still seem you are gonna get more than 150 hp. Tracy's estimates are based on very quasi science, how is his flying next to RV's with 180, 160 and 200 hp Lycomings. Far from perfect, but still part of the data stream. However, Al Geitzen's data (the aformentioned 3 rotor Velo)is very scientific (you know how those engineers are <g>) and from a dyno. NOPE, not the same as a 13b two rotor, but on the right track at least.

My Velo is rated at needing 160 hp with published "marketing" figures from Velo's website as 155 kts at 75% power on the fixed gear versionn (and with 200 hp; 172 kts with fixed gear) http://velocityaircraft.com/airplane-specifications.html, everything else is gravy, or so I hope. ;-) FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

its HP you need. not torque

First I admit, my comment was not inclusive of the nature of engine power. I got excited by the graph. However...

Tq is what pushes the prop around. HP just adds time to that factor. ~550lb-ft for 1s is 1hp. Tq = work (force/distance). work * time = hp. I'm looking at this with my engineer hat on through my physics glasses.

Tq and Hp are interdependent based on RPM and 5250 (the time factor I gave above). In an airplane, more tq means a bigger bite of the air is possible at a given RPM. If the tq is highly ramped like it is in small piston engines, you don't have a very useful range where the motor to do a lot of work.

HP can't be analyzed without including Tq and RPM. The same holds true to the others. Taken with the 280ish BHP, that 220lb-ft of Tq makes the engine look extra exciting. Versatility is a good thing, and a wide, flat, fat tq curve gives more versatility than a peaked one. :D

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

• 4 weeks later...

As information, The plane was cut up into pieces under glenn taylors ownership, on his flight home to North Carolina, he experienced some sort of noise or breakage... he slowed the plane down to a slow speed, landed at his home field, and found part of the plane had delaminated.. he called in some expert help from ezjets i believe, and they found the entire plane in unflightworthyness... the entire plane was delaminating.. it was decided that it was beyond repair, and that it shoudl be destroyed so no one else would ever try to fly it again...

Glenn told me on his flight home, the plane climbed out at 2500 fpm and cruised at 180 kts... with more power on tap...

A few days ago a big truck pulled up to my house and delivered that 20B to its new home in my garage...

did you get just the engine or did you get what i call a "tear out" (wires and stuf to run it) ?. i have a 20b and could use your help if you could pic some stuff ????? ty in advance:)

Steve M. Parkins

• 2 weeks later...

so! what do you think he is going to do with it? put on slicks and go drag racing. what the heck does torque mean to an airplane? not to may standing starts in airplane racing. Look at how it flys. its a rocket. big fat one, but a rocket. its HP you need. not torque

Its another case of where people do not understand torque and horsepower. All an engine can produce is torque.

http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html

• 3 weeks later...

I got the motor with all the wires still attatched, some had been cut though, I can provide pictures for you if you like, but this guy went pretty complex... 2 turbos, intercooled, all kinds of crazy plumbing.... are you turbo charging yours ????

I don't intend to turbo charge my 20B. I went with the extra rotor for the following reasons:

20B/NA

Weight: 390lb

HP: 300

13B/NA

Weight: 291 lb

HP: 200

13B/Turbo

Weight: 328 lb

HP: 230

The big difference is the effect that a turbo has on the reliability of the rotary.

These engines are (mechanically) extremely simple and reliable which is why they attract so much attention.

Why add a level of complexity via a turbo and basically defeat the features that attracted you to this solution in the first place.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I got the motor with all the wires still attatched, some had been cut though, I can provide pictures for you if you like, but this guy went pretty complex... 2 turbos, intercooled, all kinds of crazy plumbing.... are you turbo charging yours ????

it has them stock, but i was thinking to go 9.7 and bag the tubos and install a mufler but its all kinda new for me:mad:

Steve M. Parkins